Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Dusted off fat Boris

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Dusted off fat Boris

Old 03-04-19, 06:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,010 Posts
Dusted off fat Boris

Not sure why I bought a fatbike last year but tuned up the fatty and plan on hitting some trails. A fatbike is always fun to ride.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-06-19, 02:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
following!
Old 03-06-19, 11:16 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
"Finally got fatty off roadDang! Climbs like a mountain goat runs over almost anything and I came close but didn’t wreck Took the Motobecane Boris to Hill Country SNA near Bandera Texas. Hard pack rough terrain so I ran around 10 psi and had a blast. The wider cranks made me smash the pedals a few times but that is how it goes. Not so much fun on the gravel roads but it begs to hit the trails. Overall a very fun way to ride what my neighbors say is a clown bike "

To remind you why you bought the fat bike
Old 08-26-19, 05:09 PM
John33702

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy, Schwinn 3rd Avenue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Not sure why I bought a fatbike last year but tuned up the fatty and plan on hitting some trails. A fatbike is always fun to ride.
I took a liking to the look of fat bikes and bought a Sun Spyder for $800, three years ago. It was new in the shop, and I saw it had a 3 speed hub gear, but it also had a derailleur hanger, so I had the shop customize it with a 7 speed derailleur. It wasn't the best setup because the chain brushed very lightly against the 4.6" tire. I tried everything to get it further away but nothing worked. I contacted the Sun company and they said that although it has a hanger, it doesn't work well.

So after a few months of riding it, I went back to the shop and traded it in for a 2016 Specialized Fat Boy SE. It's a 20 speed and had no problem with the chain touching the tire. One problem I found was riding it in long grass. I got up, one morning, and found two flat tires. Sand burrs did it! The spaces between the big nobblies is only 1mm thick rubber, not enough to protect it from the sand burrs. Being that I live in Florida, and only ride pavement, I bought two road tires for it and have had no problems with punctures since then. And the tires are 4" wide instead of 4.6". This would have solved the Sun fat bike problem.

So, I ride all over our county, and was followed, one day, by a guy on a regular bike. When I stopped at a road junction he caught up and asked me what was special about a fat bike. I said there's nothing special, they're just fun to ride. I have a hybrid bike, too, and it's not as comfortable at the fatty, despite both bikes having identical saddles.

The Specialized weight is 35lb compared to the 50lb of the Sun fatty, and now has about 6,000 miles on it since new. You're right that they're fun to ride. I like the name you've given yours. I need to name mine. Here it is with road tires

Likes For John33702:
Old 08-27-19, 04:13 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
What make are the road tires?
Old 08-27-19, 06:54 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Ditto. I have the same bike and am looking at a set of road friendly tires too.