Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New MUP Trail Stuff

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New MUP Trail Stuff

Old 09-22-19, 10:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's really sad that people feel this way when the main beneficiary of this kind of trails are the people that live along it.
Yep. In populated areas, trails have been shown to increase property values. They can also spur investment. Just did the GAP up and back. Several properties in different towns have been purchased and turned into guest houses/B&Bs. Another property was recently turned into a very nice campground.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-22-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 10:08 AM
indyfabz

Sometimes you see eerie rock formations from an MUP. Kind of looks like a face.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-19, 10:49 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
can come up with something new and different. What is the strange NEW thing you have encountered on the trails...
Unicycles. Very slow snakes and very fast turtles, smart-alec crows.

Zagster - local bike-share - against the odds is becoming more and more popular.

There is a microbrewery near the trailhead, that I've ridden by every day for about 6 years and never stopped. A fledgeling cyclist/hipster scene is developing around the shaded tables out front; I suspect they dress up, get on the Greenway for a mile or two, then soak up the ambience for an hour.
Old 09-22-19, 11:03 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I still take them as a positive overall. When on them I relegate it to a slow cut thru with obstacles.

What we need to address is an epidemic of “American exceptionalism and entitlement syndrome” among the MUP users.

It’s a bunch of FYIGM attitudes out there.
Old 09-22-19, 11:17 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
One route that I take goes along a creek/estuary, and the rowing club has their dock

and clubhouse on either sides of the path.

Sometimes have to dodge racing shells crossing.

Also watch out for fishing back-casts.
Old 09-22-19, 11:38 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
My local MUP the CoCoCanal trail has a yearly tradition that always makes me smile. A local kindergarten writes all their graduates names on the trail. In chalk and alphabetic order. This year it was Alexis through to Victoria. I’ve never seen the actual writing ceremony. It’s a short walk from the school to the path. After the first rain or two it’s already erased and ready for next year. Good luck little guys!
Old 09-22-19, 11:58 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
there have been plans for a long rural mup near here that keep getting put off because people don't want the trail across their property fearing that people from State College will come out and cause problems. OTOH, at the other end of the valley there is a rail trail that is widely loved. And I have been on other rural rail trails that are major recreation areas in the communities nearby. It's really sad that people feel this way when the main beneficiary of this kind of trails are the people that live along it. And anyway, the flow of crime is actually the other way around, rural folks come to State College to commit crimes, because it's more of a target rich area. What is going to happen, someone might steal a hay bale?
It's an actual studied phenomenon that the people most scared of crime are people who live in areas with very little crime. It's one of those things that has effects like not building trails or transit lines to rural zero-crime areas because some local politician riles up the local voters about how all the "urban criminals" will apparently use them to come to Haverbock to do crimes or something.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-22-19, 12:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Relatively speaking, this whole area is zero crime. We leave our doors unlocked, for example. The idea that there is some criminal element that will leave town and go steal things from people who mostly own hay bales is a bit ridiculous. Other than alcohol related offenses and other stupid things students do, our serious crime is virtually all committed by transients and people from rural areas that come into town. They could just as well steal hay bales on the way into town.
Old 09-22-19, 04:54 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My town is relatively low crime, for being a mid sized city and all. Our rural areas are not exactly crime free, but crimes and injuries tend to involve alcohol, drugs, firearms, and internal combustion engines, none of which are in abundance on MUPs. I have a hypothesis that criminals are lazy and cowardly, so they're unlikely to choose cycling as their mode of transportation. A friend of mine is a state prosecutor, and the rural areas keep him plenty busy.

Our MUPs are great. Sometimes you have to slow down for other users, and that's just fine. Slowing down should be part of good bike handling skills anyway. That's what brakes are for. Returning to your cruising speed is what legs are for.

My main gripes have to do with riding the paths at night. Folks should be more courteous about having really bright lights on the MUPs. Also, joggers should make some effort to be visible. The Madison Ninja Joggers tend to wear all black from head to toe, and they're all wearing earbuds as well. It's mainly a problem when the time changes in the fall, because it's suddenly dark. Within a few weeks, the cold weather will take care of them.
Old 09-22-19, 06:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Nope. Not ever riding a city/county MUP again, for ALL of the reasons the OP noted. And even though I've been a member of Rails-to-Trails since they started in 1986, I have yet to ride on one. MAYBE I'd ride on a rural one, but not where there are Trail Toads clogging them up. I my normal riding pace is anywhere between 17-21mph, and I refuse to slow down to our local MUP speed limit of 8mph.
Old 09-22-19, 06:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C

Sometimes you have to slow down for other users, and that's just fine. Slowing down should be part of good bike handling skills anyway. That's what brakes are for. Returning to your cruising speed is what legs are for.
This! I've developed some wicked good acceleration skills on the mups. If it's not safe to pass, I'll slow to walking speed while I wait for the left lane to clear and I won't say anything because I don't want the pedestrians to think I'm telling them to crowd themselves on the right edge. Once it clears, I announce and work my way around them then accelerate immediately in front of them. I've had a couple of people complain because they thought I had passed them closely at speed when I actually passed them very far to their left and hadn't attained any serious speed at that point. They just see the rapidly receding bike pull into their lane a few feet ahead of them and they just assume I had been going that fast all along. I just got really good at a well-practiced maneuver.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-19, 06:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Nope. Not ever riding a city/county MUP again, for ALL of the reasons the OP noted. And even though I've been a member of Rails-to-Trails since they started in 1986, I have yet to ride on one. MAYBE I'd ride on a rural one, but not where there are Trail Toads clogging them up. I my normal riding pace is anywhere between 17-21mph, and I refuse to slow down to our local MUP speed limit of 8mph.
I wouldn't ride on anything with a limit of 8 mph either. My cruising speed is a bit higher than yours, however, and there are several rail trails in my area where I can ride uninterrupted at speed for several miles.

I find that it's hit or miss whether an urban street will be more or less clogged than an urban MUP, and it's a lot less pleasant to get stuck behind and between Amazon vans, postal jeeps, city buses and people who like to double park.

There's really no MUP with a higher speed limit where you are? That's effectively a "no bike commuting" rule. Defeats one of the major purposes.
Old 09-22-19, 07:05 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
there have been plans for a long rural mup near here that keep getting put off because people don't want the trail across their property fearing that people from State College will come out and cause problems. OTOH, at the other end of the valley there is a rail trail that is widely loved. And I have been on other rural rail trails that are major recreation areas in the communities nearby. It's really sad that people feel this way when the main beneficiary of this kind of trails are the people that live along it. And anyway, the flow of crime is actually the other way around, rural folks come to State College to commit crimes, because it's more of a target rich area. What is going to happen, someone might steal a hay bale?
When they were first talking about converting the old electric railway line to a rail-trail many property owners were quite concerned about how it's impact them. However, once the conversion to a rail-trail was done those property owners found that there was a lot less partying along the rail-trail than there was along the abandoned electric railway. Seems the bush partiers went to other more secluded areas. So with the advent of the rail-trail the property owners along it benefited.

Cheers

Cheers
Old 09-22-19, 07:50 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
I like the idea OP!

I'd like to see discussion of singing out loud while using the MUP, and also issues with body odor.

Plus, I think to keep this entertaining the discussion should include a prodigious use of asterisks such as:

Here's my nomination to open the list: Two weeks ago I encountered a young lady who had spread out her ***** ***** and was ********** on the trail.
Old 09-23-19, 04:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by sheddle
It's an actual studied phenomenon that the people most scared of crime are people who live in areas with very little crime. It's one of those things that has effects like not building trails or transit lines to rural zero-crime areas because some local politician riles up the local voters about how all the "urban criminals" will apparently use them to come to Haverbock to do crimes or something.
That very thing happened in S. Jersey when a new light rail line was being proposed from Trenton south, passing through Camden, which has a lot of crime. Many communities south of Camden opposed the project due to fears of an increase in crime coming from Camden, among other reasons. As a result, the line was built between Trento and Camden only. The service exceeded ridership estimates from the git go and spawned redevelopment and increased property values in the towns it passes through. A lot of people south of Camden now want the line extended.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-23-19, 04:45 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Most of what I am getting from this is we have an overbreeding/overpopulated/humans as an invasive species issue.
Old 09-23-19, 05:30 AM
indyfabz

A couple of shots from the Route of the Hiawatha Trail. That particular tunnel is 1.66 miles long, unlit and has water dripping from the ceiling. Cool stuff.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-23-19, 06:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I just discovered a new train near here yesterday. The state prison owned some land that was prime fishing area, and gave it to the local government. There had been a singletrack, but now it's a wide cinder trail. Very nice. I suppose there are probably some mountain bikers that miss the singletrack, it was fun. But I'm sure this trail will be used by a lot more people.
Old 09-23-19, 06:16 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
What is a MUP trail?
Old 09-23-19, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
What is a MUP trail?
MUP trail is redundant. MUP=Multiple use path.
Old 09-23-19, 07:10 AM
indyfabz

This little fellow was along a MUP two years ago. I spooked him and he swam across the creek.

Old 09-23-19, 12:07 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Humpy
I like the idea OP!

I'd like to see discussion of singing out loud while using the MUP, and also issues with body odor.

Plus, I think to keep this entertaining the discussion should include a prodigious use of asterisks such as:
Ah - Finally! Somebody who understands!

Like I said, more entertainment than the Sunday funnies.
Old 09-23-19, 02:48 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Will take all the annoyances of the MUP any day, vs riding with the cars and trucks. Also painfully discovered that after years of being around jet engines, I can no longer hear the little bells some cyclist like to use. Have never missed an, “on your left”, call though. At least my bike was rideable after the collision, other guy had to walk.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 09-23-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 03:03 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,623 Times in 943 Posts
One of the paths I bike regularly has people fishing on it. Most of the time they sit on or near the bank to do this. Sometimes they park their camping chairs all across the path with the fishing lines stretching completely across the width of the path. Sometimes you can ride around. Sometimes you're forced to say excuse me and walk your bike thru.
Old 09-23-19, 03:05 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
So - let's see if we can come up with something new and different.
How about a chain lube thread?
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.