Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifter cable housing question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-19, 05:43 AM
robobass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm a small manufacturer of tools and accessories for violinmakers and specifically repairers of upright basses. I'm working on a clamp design utilizing shifter cable. The first prototype is mostly a success, but it would be a lot better if I could find more flexible cable housing. The local bike shops say nah, housing is housing. I know that flexibility isn't a big issue on bikes, but I'm hoping that some builders are picky enough that they would want something more flexible, and that someone would be making it.
Thanks,
Rob
bass capos . com
Old 09-28-19, 06:06 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
robobase-

Modern shift housing for indexed shifting systems is less flexible than they older style wound/spiral housing. Check which type is in use or switch to brake lever housing.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/cables-housing
Old 09-28-19, 06:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
I would give https://www.motionpro.com/c/cables? a call, if they can't help they should know others in the cable industry who might be helpful.
Old 09-28-19, 07:38 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Check out the Jagwire Alligator links cable housing. I like Jagwire products. Available at numerous places but here’s one ... https://www.ebay.com/i/162856147772?chn=ps&var=461893487317&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=461893487317_162856147772&targetid=475515019381&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=90591 99&campaignid=6469750537&mkgroupid=77932568779&rlsatarget=aud-622027676548la-475515019381&abcId=1141186&merchantid=114613723&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJDG_dDz5AIVg56fCh0qRg46EAQYASABEg JFufD_BwE

Dan
Old 09-28-19, 08:59 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by robobass
Hello,
I'm a small manufacturer of tools and accessories for violinmakers and specifically repairers of upright basses. I'm working on a clamp design utilizing shifter cable. The first prototype is mostly a success, but it would be a lot better if I could find more flexible cable housing. The local bike shops say nah, housing is housing. I know that flexibility isn't a big issue on bikes, but I'm hoping that some builders are picky enough that they would want something more flexible, and that someone would be making it.
Thanks,
Rob
bass capos . com
Not sure what you are using it for, but -brake- cables are coil/spiral wound and usually more flexible than gear cable. Shimano has special gear cable for final gear loop in theír r7000 and r8000 series that is also more flexible than ordinary gear cable, but its expansive.
Old 09-28-19, 09:38 AM
robobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Check out the Jagwire Alligator links cable housing. I like Jagwire products.
Dan
I checked out those bone links. Looks freakin' cool, but way too expensive! I'm selling to upright bass repairers. They will pay for a good tool, but this would be too much to ask.
Old 09-28-19, 09:42 AM
robobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not sure what you are using it for, but -brake- cables are coil/spiral wound and usually more flexible than gear cable. Shimano has special gear cable for final gear loop in theír r7000 and r8000 series that is also more flexible than ordinary gear cable, but its expansive.
I didn't realize that. Thanks. I'll check it out. "Expensive" is relative. I only need about 18" per unit, but the Jagwire Road Elite is out of the question.
Old 09-28-19, 09:45 AM
robobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks you guys so much for providing helpful tips. So many of these kinds of forum queries lead to just a lot of stupidity.
Old 09-28-19, 10:29 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I checked out those bone links. Looks freakin' cool, but way too expensive! I'm selling to upright bass repairers. They will pay for a good tool, but this would be too much to ask.
Not sure of your design (I suspect your cable runs the height of the bass) but you might only need a short length of the flexible segmented cable at the end(s) for your use.
Old 09-28-19, 11:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
One more use of bike parts for non bike stuff. It's always interesting how the LBS is the hardware store for many.

Agree with looking into brake casing. The reasons for the shift casing being so stiff might not apply to this tool. If the amount of cable travel/pull is critical (like it is for indexed shifting consistency) then a more compressible casing might be a problem. But if not brake casing is cheap and can be sourced by the foot, outside of a complete cable set. Andy
Old 09-28-19, 11:40 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Search for industrial suppliers of "Bowden" cable housing -- more types to choose from and probably much cheaper than bike cable housing.
Old 09-28-19, 01:49 PM
robobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One more use of bike parts for non bike stuff. It's always interesting how the LBS is the hardware store for many.

Agree with looking into brake casing. The reasons for the shift casing being so stiff might not apply to this tool. If the amount of cable travel/pull is critical (like it is for indexed shifting consistency) then a more compressible casing might be a problem. But if not brake casing is cheap and can be sourced by the foot, outside of a complete cable set. Andy
Thanks, I was looking at shifter housing over brake housing because of weight and thickness concerns, but in the end flexibility is most important. Compression of the housing is a low priority, actually.

Still, I have a bunch of bikes in the garage. I haven't gone and tested all of them, but my impression is that none of the brake housings on them are significantly less stiff then the "Promax" shifter housing I bought for this project. I have seen something I would describe as closed springs on some dérailleurs. Extremely flexible, but not very long. Anyway, this is research. I don't need to solve this problem this week. Please everyone, shoot me an idea if one comes to mind. And again, I totally appreciate that no one has posted some nonsense reply to my query. I am in fact amazed.
Thanks!
Rob
Old 09-28-19, 03:19 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts

You might contact Velo Orange https://velo-orange.com as they sell the old-fashioned, very flexible cable housing. On their site it’s only offered in lengths suitable for use on a bicycle but they may be able to help you get/find what you’re looking for.
Old 09-28-19, 05:03 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Hello,
Thanks,
Rob
bass capos . com
Rob -- I'm intrigued by your tool-making for theses purposes. Unless you fear your design/idea being stolen...I wonder if you could post a picture(s) of how this clamp would be utilized on the upright bass. I'm trying to visualize it. In addition to satisfying my curiosity, it might elicit some responses with ideas that could be helpful to you.

Dan
Old 09-29-19, 08:49 AM
robobass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually have now found something used for animatronics which seems more suitable.

Force D
Sorry, I'm not allowed to post a photo.
It's just two concentric tubes which expand apart as you pull on the cable. Used when gluing patches to the inside of an upright bass. To do this you have to either remove the top ($$$) or work through the F-holes. Some repairers use magnets to get pressure on the "cleat" and some wedge in a dowel cut to length. If the patch is in the inside of the top fr example, then you wedge in the dowel between the top (over the patch) and back. Both methods have drawbacks. My device would work like dowel but be easier to get into place and the clamping pressure more controllable. We use hot hide glue in string instrument repair. It gels very quickly, so anything that speeds up the process is welcome in the luthiery world!