Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recent project - Miyata 710 Singlespeed in RED

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 04:39 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

This is my first singlespeed project....

My wife and I made our first investments in high quality road bikes back in the 70s...I bought a Team Miyata frame (royal blue with too many decals... and built up my own bike with Suntour Superbe Group (except for Campy hubs and Rigida rims...my own handiwork building the wheels). Over the following decade we rode 1000s of miles along the California coast and ridge range and in the mountains. There are dozens of century rides in the Northern California region where I still live, and I rode virtually all of them many times, including the "famed" Mount Hamilton ride (for several decades continuously) in the SF Bay Area. My wife lost interest in riding years ago. About a decade ago I had my Team Miyata painted (same color, but not decals) and have a full Shimano Integra group on it. A shoulder injury 5-6 years ago put me off riding seriously. We both have suspension hybrid bikes for commuting and general errand-running. Her bike was stored in the basement and the running gear (hubs/axles, crank, headset, etc) all rusted badly. I finally got my shoulder together last year and have been riding again. I asked my wife about her bike and she relinquished all interest in it so....

I stripped the frame, cleaned everything, managed to salvage the headset (nice JIS headsets are hard to find...only Ritchie and Velo Orange?). New BB with a short spindle, new wheels (from modest chinese parts with good spokes) with Continental Grand Prix 4Season tires, PAWS freewheel, 1/8-inch crankset, original brakes (Dia-Compe sidepulls), original seatpost, and my old Avocet leather touring saddle, original pedals with Zefal mini-clips, and an Origin8 cockpit (shortie flat bars and minibrakes).

It weighs in at 20 lbs, 4 oz (about what I expected as there are no heroic parts), didn't cost too much, and is a blast to ride in town with 46-18 gearing.
I managed to find my old messenger bag and it's the perfect shopping bike.

Old 10-02-19, 04:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
fun build.....should I look for you riding for a beer at Hapa's? (I am in willow glen)

this would be worth posting in https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...yata-cult.html

Also if you are never going to use the team miyata again and it is a 54 or 56 I know a forum member who a) would be interested b) is a great guy.....helped facilitate a team fro So Cal for me

I have 2 team miyatas so I am at the limit

Old 10-02-19, 05:26 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Beautiful and functional build! Love it! Also 20 and 4 is a good weight all things considered. Enjoy!
Old 10-02-19, 05:37 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Also if you are never going to use the team miyata again and it is a 54 or 56 I know a forum member who a) would be interested b) is a great guy.....helped facilitate a team fro So Cal for me
...no way! It's a 54, and I've been riding it (in various configurations) for 40 years. Currently set up as all new school...Integra Group, Nitto cockpit with compact drops, Speedplay pedals. 9-speed cluster with combo index shifters. It goes with me into the hills above Palo Alto at least a couple times a week...
Old 10-02-19, 05:55 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef
...no way! It's a 54, and I've been riding it (in various configurations) for 40 years. Currently set up as all new school...Integra Group, Nitto cockpit with compact drops, Speedplay pedals. 9-speed cluster with combo index shifters. It goes with me into the hills above Palo Alto at least a couple times a week...
LOL, had to try as the dude did be a big favor. Understand 100% I got my first miyata (1400) in '89 and would still be riding it if it hadn't cracked at the internal cable routing opening.

Team Miyata with modern gear is great way to go (my 85 is 11 speed, 105...nitto cockpit)

Old 10-02-19, 06:03 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Sweet build OP always great to see quality old steel get a new lease on life. I had a 912 for a time and have a soft spot for Miyatas
Old 10-03-19, 08:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
That is a nice frame from the era in which Japan was putting out some world class product. I applaud you conservative spoking (lots of spokes, with cross lacing). What size are the tires? I am not at all into the single speed thing, but for a casual bike I like having some tire width, which yours appears to. (Another plus for older frames, which tend to have more generous tire clearance than some of their newer counterparts.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-06-19, 08:55 PM
shmuelyosef

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
What size are the tires? I am not at all into the single speed thing, but for a casual bike I like having some tire width, which yours appears to. (Another plus for older frames, which tend to have more generous tire clearance than some of their newer counterparts.)
They are Continental GP 4 Season 700C X 28...very good thorn-proofing. Lots of tire clearance (my Team Miyata has a lot less). As I mentioned...this is my first single-speed, and I have to admit it's addictive. I'm still thinking about spreading it to 130 and putting an 8- or 9-speed cassette/freehub wheel on the back, but no front derailleur, or maybe a 3-speed hub?? But for now the single speed is simple and clean and it's very responsive to ride. I've got a 1" stem bullhorn setup for it as well, and I've been swapping with the short-straight bars to decide. The bullhorns are more useful but the short flat bar setup is cool-looking.