Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cold weather gear

Old 10-03-19, 08:41 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Cold weather gear

I'm a runner. Have run in -14F, but bike is a completely different beast. I'd like to stay off the trainer until the snow falls, but we're already down to mid 40s during the day.

What do I wear on a ride? It gets colder in lower temperatures. Do I need windproof shirts? Sleeves? I was so cold on my last ride (48 degrees). I do wear gloves, but they're fingerless. My hands weren't cold, just my arms.

I have lots of run clothes and I can wear them, but I'm worried I'll get too warm and I'm not sure where to store them. (This is so much easier when you run and just tie a jacket around your waist.)

Suggestions for necessity clothing? Where do I stash it if I get too hot or keep it if I think I might get too cold? Can I wear a knit hat under my helmet or is that going to screw up the placement?
Old 10-03-19, 09:31 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
There is a winter cycling subforum here...
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
And you can Google "bikeforums.net winter cycling clothing".

I've been commuting year round for 27 years (down to 7F), and reading bikeforums for over 10 and there are five main tips I learned that changed my winter clothing strategy for the better.

1) don't over dress. Dress for after you've been riding for 10 or 15 minutes. You will start out cold, but Will quickly warm up.

2) every body is different. You must find what works for you.

3) A wicking base layer really work whether it's Wool or synthetic.

4)While you should cover your face and other exposed parts, it doesn't have to be heavy material.

5) Breathable layering FTW!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-04-19, 08:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
who rides in the cold?

just kidding, couldn't resist, that is one of my favorite pics from last winter

treat each area like a separate research project in the winter sub-forum
fingers
toes
head
face
body
legs

good luck!

but I do want to be helpful. I get a ton of use out of my SmartWool Merino 150 Beanie. it's super thin & covers the tops of my ears. but they are easy to lose!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-04-19 at 08:27 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-04-19, 08:46 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
who rides in the cold?

but I do want to be helpful. I get a ton of use out of my SmartWool Merino 150 Beanie. it's super thin & covers the tops of my ears. but they are easy to lose!
In my case, the same fool who would run in the cold. As long as there's no snow or salt on the road...why not?

I'm already looking up that beanie. I hate cold ears--and I'll be sure to get more than one.
Old 10-04-19, 08:54 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
get some thin neck gaiters, tubes, they are called different things

they can go under your helmet or under a wool hat (head layers), also good for keeping wing out of your neck area
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-04-19, 09:16 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
When I 1st started cycling in winter I made the mistake of buying an Altura Evo night vision jacket which whilst it's lovely ..... 2 miles in and it's way too hot ... it now gets used for short cycles to the pub / friends houses ad walking the dog in the dark.

I've switched and bought one of these jackets
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardm...yABEgKrNPD_BwE
They're wind proof which I think is essential on all of the front facing parts and breathable material on the rear facing areas .... probably the best bit of cycling kit I bought and you can just adjust layers as needed.

Under this I wear a long sleeve wicking base layer and if it's really cold a t-shirt as well and have never needed anything else but I'm only cycling down to about
Zero degrees Centigrade.

Legs ... just cycling shorts and a pair of quite thick track suit trousers.

Feet are one of the worst affected especially in the wind and was wearing the hiking boots that look more like shoes than the really heavy ones, my feet were still cold so I bought some cycling overshoes to put over them for last season. It made them a lot warmer and kept the wind out but are a PITA to put on / take off, made my shoe tighter so sometimes I got cramp in my feet and as they're neoprene some sharpish grip knobbles on my pedals have made holes in them .....
I've just bought some of these but it hasn't been cold enough to use them yet and I'm not "allowed them" until after my b'day next week.
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/10649/products/2018-specialized-defroster-trail-mountain-bike-shoes-in-grey.aspx?currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIreeMwMfD5AIVDLTtCh3mwgeCEAQYBCABEgLdDvD_BwE

Knit hat ... look for a skull cap if you really need one .... I haven't but I do wear a snood around my neck / up to my bottom lip and sometimes over me ears .... some of these can also be pulled up over your head and you don't need a thick one just quite thin.

Where to put layers .... because I wanted the ability to peel off or carry extra I've used frame bags, I have one of these in the summer which will take a small / thin jacket, a lock, wallet / phone and also have a small frame bag for tools etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OZBMZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said as I may want more layers in the winter so one of these is on my b'day list as well which should be able to take everything so can lose the frame bag as well
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod167046

Gloves .... I haven't mastered that yet .... hopefully this year though.

I would have thought you could use some of your running stuff though if you have wicking t-shirts and not sure what jacket you wear??

Last edited by Witterings; 10-04-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 10:09 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by Witterings
I would have thought you could use some of your running stuff though if you have wicking t-shirts and not sure what jacket you wear??
I have been using quite a bit of it recently. I have run tights that go all the way to my ankles and many long sleeve shirts, but nothing that stops wind except for really thick pieces. I don't currently have any specific bike kits, I've just been double layering my bike shorts under the run tights.

I trained all last winter for an April marathon so I have a collection of pieces to use, but I don't run fast enough to worry about wind much. I noticed my feet getting cold on my last ride. The runner trick is to put duct tape over the top of the shoe to stop wind from getting in. (I don't use clips so I currently ride with an old pair of run shoes.) So maybe I'll try that.

I need a bigger frame bag.
Old 10-04-19, 10:38 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
What do I wear on a ride? It gets colder in lower temperatures. Do I need windproof shirts? Sleeves? I was so cold on my last ride (48 degrees). I do wear gloves, but they're fingerless. My hands weren't cold, just my arms.
Layers. Layers, layers, layers. Experiment and see what works for you, but think in thin layers that can be added or removed easily and will fit in a jersey or jacket pocket. Don't try to buy it all at once. Add an item or two now, see how they work and add more when it gets colder.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-04-19, 10:46 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
A bag,whether it is a frame, handlebar, saddle or any other type, for me, is a necessity. Layering is key and being able to take off a layer when necessary, and have somewhere convenient to stash it, is important. Do not wait until you are already sweaty to take off a layer. Once you get chilled with damp clothes, staying warm is, at best, difficult. Also be ready and willing to just stop and take a short break. Keep your system fueled up. Riding a bicycle really amps up the wind chill factor. I like a wind barrier type, thin outer layer. The area above the chest has a large heat loss factor. It takes some experimenting and time to figure out what works best for you.
Old 10-04-19, 11:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
feet getting cold
chemical toe warmers over "cycling" socks

chemical toes warmers over sock liners (then add another sock over everything)

chemical hand warmers taped over winter socks

chemical hand warmers taped to sock liners (then add another sock over everything)

cycling specific footwear (I can't justify)

winter boots (I already own) & mini clips

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-04-19 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-04-19, 01:32 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
One thing to remember when putting on socks, and gloves/mittens to some extent. Don't put on so many layers of socks trying to prevent your toes from getting cold that it makes your shoes tight. I did that until a few years ago when someone pointed out to me that it restricts circulation...which is important in keeping your toes warm. With regard to gloves...a couple years ago I finally went to full, wind/weather-proof mittens. I feel like there's strength in numbers and your fingers help keep one another warm. But in general for over clothing...I think that "wind proof" is your best bet.

Dan
Old 10-04-19, 06:38 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I use a beany/scull cap under the helmet as the temps get cooler, mostly to cover the ears. For winter cold near the freezing mark, I use a windbloc Peruvian style head cover good for most any temp. I also in very cold temps use a face cover and there are many types of these such as the Buff or balaclavas.

Base layers come in various weights with the warmest having a fleeced inside layer. Before it gets really cold, often a lighter base layer with arm warmers underneath is enough. As temps get colder, a wind block top or vest can be added as well as tights.

For gloves, I mostly use light liner gloves with a fleeced inside and carry a pair of wind proof gloves and as temps drop even more, I use ski gloves. On my feet, I use hiking type wool socks with insulated foot beds. https://www.grainger.com/product/34GR23?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu-zZ3OyD5QIVDbbICh2uvQx-EAQYASABEgKWufD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIu-zZ3OyD5QIVDbbICh2uvQx-EAQYASABEgKWufD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733071171!!!g!537545367267! For the coldest temps I add booties with a fleeced inside over bike shoes.

All this gear can be added to or stowed in a trunk bag riding on a rear rack. I have a handlebar bag that can fit most of this gear but the trunk bag can fit a gallon of milk when shopping so that is what I mostly use. Others prefer to use a back pack in the appropriate size. You will not be surprised that some expermenting will be needed.

Last edited by berner; 10-04-19 at 06:39 PM. Reason: link error
Old 10-04-19, 07:23 PM
glenncz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
balaclava or lightweight cap for light cold, a windproof (not cycling specific) jacket with a hood. what to wear under jacket is easy to figure out. i have a pair of leather garden gloves for cold, thick insulated gloves for colder, and 3 fingered cycling glove ($20Amz) for coldest. For feet i have neoprene toewarmers and then neoprene overshoes for pretty cold. long biking pants with long underwear for coldest.
a lot of it depends on if it's sunny or not and how windy it is. going to be 32F here when i ride at first light tomorrow, so i'll get a chance to try out winter uniform.
Old 10-04-19, 08:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Layers...of different kinds for different body parts.

My basic system (which kicks in somewhere around 40F) involves a windproof/water resistant soft shell with pit zips and wool layers (shirts, sweaters, etc.) of various densities, layers of tights, layers of gloves, a face covering, and a snowboard helmet. What works for each person is a bit different (for example, I find that my hands run really hot compared to others.)

Hands, feet, and face will get colder on a bike than, say, walking or running. Good boots/socks and gloves/mittens/Bar Mitts are worth the investment. Eye protection makes life better. Something to break the wind on the legs is nice, but isn't really necessary until you start getting into the really cold weather (if you wanted to ride at 0F or something.)

Have fun guys...I'm out of Wisconsin and in North Carolina this winter, so don't have to deal with any of that
Old 10-04-19, 09:13 PM
Joroz001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe heat packs are life Savers
Old 10-04-19, 09:24 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I'm a runner. Have run in -14F, but bike is a completely different beast. I'd like to stay off the trainer until the snow falls, but we're already down to mid 40s during the day.

I have lots of run clothes and I can wear them, but I'm worried I'll get too warm and I'm not sure where to store them. (This is so much easier when you run and just tie a jacket around your waist.)

Suggestions for necessity clothing? Where do I stash it if I get too hot or keep it if I think I might get too cold? Can I wear a knit hat under my helmet or is that going to screw up the placement?
are you training or are you joy riding....
Old 10-05-19, 07:50 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
For us in the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascades, it's not so much the temperatures that we battle in these months. It's the 41F, windy, and raining incessantly that is the more common problem. So, feet become a huge issue here. I, personally, am looking forward to trying out some of these supposedly waterproof socks this winter to see if they help at all. Staying dry is really a challenge here.
Old 10-05-19, 07:59 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
are you training or are you joy riding....
Is riding without joy a requirement for proper "training"? BTW, what are you training for?
Old 10-05-19, 08:37 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Look for arm warmers, jackets, gloves, and bib-pants with the Windstopper™ technology. Those, along with Shimano MW80 Gore-Tex winter shoes, Woolie Boolie socks, and chemical toe warmers across the tops of the toes (exactly like in post #10 ) allow me to commute (for 30 minutes) in temps down to 5 F, in dry conditions.

Last edited by Riveting; 10-05-19 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 08:38 AM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is riding without joy a requirement for proper "training"? BTW, what are you training for?
I do time trials now....I go as far as i can as fast as I can....
Old 10-05-19, 01:05 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I’ll ride down to maybe 32F - if I have to dress like the Michelin Man to get out on the bike, I’m not going to enjoy it, so what’s the point? My max cold weather kit comprises two short-sleeve jerseys, arm warmers, neck gaiter, bib shorts, heavy tights, standard shoes/socks, zip-up overshoes (I don’t think they’re neoprene - they keep the wind out - more like bootees - they overlap the bottoms of the tights) and full-fingered gloves. If I overheat, I can ditch the arm warmers and gaiter into a jersey pocket, and zip down the jerseys as much as necessary - I might also start with some standard gloves in a pocket in case my hands get too hot. I might include a wind proof shell rolled up in a pocket, but even “breathable” shells will make you sweat, so I keep this as a last resort against wind-chill. Pretty much everything can start or end up in a jersey pocket, so I don’t need any extra carrying capacity. As best as I can, I calibrate my gear so I’m a little chilly starting out- I’ll warm up and the temps usually rise as the day progresses. If I get it right, I get home wearing pretty much what I left the house in

Last edited by Litespud; 10-05-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 01:32 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Definitely check the winter sub forum for ideas. I don't 'joy ride' in winter, but I do commute year round. Lots of good advice already given by seasoned winter cyclists and commuters.

It is important that you get it right when you head out the door. Overdressed and you're hit and miserable. Underdressed and your cold and even more miserable.

Legs, arms, and torso is not so difficult to do. So I'll tell what I do for head, hands, and feet.

Breathable balaclava that covers neck under helmet works good enough down to -15C. Below that you need an extra beanie for the head. Goggles that seal out the cold air will protect your eyes and peripheral eye area. That, in conjunction with your balaclava, will take care of your head and face.

When it gets down below -10C, you've got little choice but to go with mittens. The fingers help keep each other warm. The poor thumb is the odd digit out, and may require it's own heating pack. Below -15C, the fingers will require heating packs too. Your fingerless gloves are useless below 15C.

Feet and toes have always been an issue for me. Even with winter road shoes, they are still not happy. However, with the combination of heating packs, wool socks, insulated riding shoes, and neoprene covers, it is bearable down to -25C. Add or subtract a measure, depending on the temp.

As far as joyride are concerned, the joy part ends below about 12C, and then there are only commutes.
Old 10-05-19, 08:21 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'm training for a half ironman. I need to get up to 1.2mi swim, 56mi bike and a half (13.1mi) marathon. I've done 11 half marathons and a full, so the run part down't phase me, but the other two events... I have a shorter race in late April and the half ironman in May.

I'm just the glutton who wants to be outside as much as possible. Oh, and my 8yo just got a new-to-him Trek MT200 that he's dying to ride.
Old 10-06-19, 09:13 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
no metal rim sunglasses they transmit the cold, when it gets to 20oF and windy I pack my mittens otherwise snowboard park gloves
Old 10-07-19, 04:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Cold weather gear

What do I wear on a ride? …
In scanning thorough this thread, I saw only perfunctory references to eyewear:
Originally Posted by wipekitty
...Eye protection makes life better. ...
Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
no metal rim sunglasses they transmit the cold…
I have posted frequently, including this recent thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Winter Cycling Goggles??
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:
Follow the link for further information, and
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:
Basically (cold) wind speed is greater than encountered while running yet exertional exhalation of warm moist air is or can be similar to running.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.