Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie, bike recommendation needed?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Newbie, bike recommendation needed?

Old 10-16-19, 10:27 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
[QUOTE=aliasfox;21164469]
Originally Posted by dc2042

Does it speak to you? Will it whisper sweet nothings from the garage? If so, then that's the bike for you.

I'd suggest taking a few other things out for a spin now that you have a benchmark. I'd still suggest trying out steel and aluminium options, even if only to eliminate them from contention. Buy the one that you're still thinking about at the end of the day.
It's a love story! Just like you stick with the girlfriend you like most, you stick with the bike that you like! haha
Old 10-16-19, 10:42 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
I am new to road cycling but I do feel I will progress quickly. I am an avid hiker/backpacker of 500+ miles yearly, so my endurance level and ability to climb will adapt quickly I think. I would be open to spending 1k-2k, don't want to go overboard, but want something that is reasonably high performance that can grow with me, but again I am a beginner. I look forward to any recommendations from experts.
Consider the Cannondale CAAD12 (or 13) if the geometry works for you (it does for me). A 105-equipped bike is in the mid/upper-teens, Ultegra is in the low 2s. If you get one with rim brakes, it'll be light, stiff, responsive, and a lot of fun to ride. I love mine.

https://www.incycle.com/product/cann...a-345605-1.htm
Old 10-16-19, 10:59 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
As a local hiker training for C2C, I would recommend a Trek Checkpoint or Salsa Warbird
Old 11-14-19, 10:49 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
That is some sound advice right there, thanks.
Well? What did you end up doing??