Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dog carriers - what do you think of the Buddy Rider???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 06:49 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just saw this on Dragon's Den. Has any of you guys seen this before?

We bought a pet trailer a few years ago, and it works pretty good, but it is cumbersome to hook up each time. I kind of like the idea of this, but not sure how it good it would be. Our dogs are 2 Jack Russells, so I think they'd be the perfect size.

Thoughts?

https://www.buddyrider.ca/index.asp
Old 03-25-13, 06:47 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Cool. Would not fit my 70 lb dog. The question is how would your dogs like it. IMO, it's usually best/easiest to get the accustomed to this when they're young. I did a tour in New Zealand and it was amazing to see three or four sheep dogs jump up and drape themselves over the ranchers motorcycle as he was riding along then jump off and go after errant sheep while he was still moving.
Old 03-25-13, 10:44 AM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be too afraid of my dogs getting hurt in a crash. (Plus I wouldn't relish pedaling with an extra 125 lbs on board...)
Old 03-25-13, 11:27 AM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I think that the idea is a good one, I would really like to see it in person before investing over 100 bucks. There are child carriers that work the same way, my friends use them.

The standover clearance looks like it could be a problem.

I have a Jack Russel/Beagle mix, or as they are called, a Jackabee. He is in the 25 pound range, so really to big for a front basket, but he loves riding up there. while he is really energetic, he does stay pretty still. I used the largest front basket wald makes, and attached it to a regular rack on the front of the bike. These pictures were taken without his blanket, just messing around in the driveway.

And if I could just trust him to stay back there all the time, we could go ultralight. He actualy balanced on this one day up the road and back, going realy slow of course. He is pretty adaptable.

Old 03-25-13, 05:09 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalPedaler
I'd be too afraid of my dogs getting hurt in a crash. (Plus I wouldn't relish pedaling with an extra 125 lbs on board...)
Sorry, no free rides here:

https://www.clickertraining.com/node/1118
Old 03-25-13, 05:12 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I think that the idea is a good one, I would really like to see it in person before investing over 100 bucks. There are child carriers that work the same way, my friends use them.

The standover clearance looks like it could be a problem.

I have a Jack Russel/Beagle mix, or as they are called, a Jackabee. He is in the 25 pound range, so really to big for a front basket, but he loves riding up there. while he is really energetic, he does stay pretty still. I used the largest front basket wald makes, and attached it to a regular rack on the front of the bike. These pictures were taken without his blanket, just messing around in the driveway.

And if I could just trust him to stay back there all the time, we could go ultralight. He actualy balanced on this one day up the road and back, going realy slow of course. He is pretty adaptable.
Love this pic! Brings back memories. We had a jackabee before we got our two Jack Russells. She was a great dog!

I agree that I'd prefer seeing the carrier in person before spending that much money on it. Looks like a good design, but I'd want to see how it fits our two dogs.
Old 03-25-13, 05:27 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
HAhahaha!!! When my pit mix was younger, she would have been great at that! Used to pretty much pull me down the street, anyway. Now that she's 15....might not be fast enough for m.....

Shipwreck, darn, your bow-wow is cute! Saw a Jackabee for the very first time just a few days ago, in person. That's gotta be a good combination!
Old 10-02-14, 06:40 PM
Cyclehound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard about them ages ago and enquirer but they had none available. I've watched the videos on their website, which are as close as I'm likely to get to seeing them in action and am seriously considering buying one. My miniature schnauzer has been riding around harness onto back of my bike since he was 10weeks old. He loves the wind blowing past his ears. He eveni brings a friend along occasionally.

Originally Posted by Alfster
Just saw this on Dragon's Den. Has any of you guys seen this before?

We bought a pet trailer a few years ago, and it works pretty good, but it is cumbersome to hook up each time. I kind of like the idea of this, but not sure how it good it would be. Our dogs are 2 Jack Russells, so I think they'd be the perfect size.

Thoughts?

Buddyrider™ Bicycle Pet Seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (103.7 KB, 239 views)
image.jpg (100.1 KB, 242 views)
image.jpg (89.4 KB, 242 views)
Old 01-11-19, 02:04 AM
uzmasafiya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did not Fit

I have a small women's road bike and the BuddyRider did not fit on my bike. When I contacted the shop I bought if from for a refund, I was redirected back to the owner of the BuddyRider. The owner, Chris, has terrible customer service. He was unhappy with the way I returned the bike, which I understand as I failed to put it back in the original box with padding, so he claimed there were scratches on the BuddyRider and could not re-sell it. He returned it back to me without a refund, via throwing all the screws and parts in a box. Of course, didn't see any scratches and when I opened the box, all the screws fell out. Not the best customer service I'm afraid, if anything goes wrong, as I received a few rather unpleasant emails from Chris. I ended up buying the Timbukt2 bag, which I think is a lot better and safer for my dog.
Old 01-11-19, 11:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Burly tail wagon not me pictured..
Old 10-18-19, 10:49 AM
MUSurvey19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just be concerned with the safety of my fellow friends in case of unexpected events. I hope it has been working great for you.
Old 10-18-19, 01:02 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
A puppy in one of those rigs would be a great chick magnet!