Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nokian extreme and Single speeding

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-17-05, 09:45 AM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a couple of quick questions,

I have just ordered some Nokian extreme 29xs. I am going to mounting them on my single speed. I know that they will be almost twice as heavy as the tires I have been running (wire bead hutchinson mosquitos, don't ask, they were free), but they should give me slightly more traction on the ice and snow . For those of you who single speed in the winter, do you put a largerr cog on the back to compensate for the increased weight of the tires and the increased rolling resistance?

I was also wondering if anyone knew the approximate width of a mounted Nokian extreme 2.1? I am going to be mounting them on my fairly narrow cheapo 1992 OEM rims. I was wondering how they would compare to the Hutchinson 2.1

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
GF
Old 01-17-05, 10:38 AM
KrisA

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much smaller than the Hutch 2.1. My 2.1 Nokian looks exactly the same size as my factory 1.95 (Kenda) on my winter junker.
Old 01-17-05, 11:20 AM
mmerner
okay maybe not.

Bikes: oh a bunch.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left the same cog on when switching to nokian studded 35s from slicks. But I don't depend on my bike for my lively hood, just for fun and exercise.
Old 01-17-05, 01:36 PM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thanks for the info.

A friend of mine lent me some home made studded tires (Farmer Johns with 100 sheet metal screws per tire), and I liked it so much I decided to get my own tires.

The frame I am going to run them on has tight clearance, so I was concerned the tread may rub the stays. It sounds like I will be O.K.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-05, 02:20 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At 58 years of age, I presently consider myself in training for riding a fixed gear bike this spring (kinda backwards, eh?).
Therefore, I ride around town in just one gear, usually a 72" gear, and sometimes an 81" gear, and then I ride normally, using several gears, for a few days and let my knees recover and get stronger.
So far I feel myself making good progress.

Anyway, to address the issue: I ride with 35mm Innovas right now.
After getting turned around last night by frozen ruts, I plan to go to Nokkians next year.
I find that in order to ride around town in the worst conditions (frozen, rutted slush), in the same inch gear, I have to drop down to a 64" gear, which corresponds in a 700c tire to 48X20 or 42X18.
I think a year from now I might manage a 72" gear, which in a 700c tire corresponds to 48X18.
Otherwise, on dry pavement and the hills we have here in Oregon, with my summer Panaracer Tservs, I can do 81", or the typical 48X16.