Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Wildlife have you come across?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 06:39 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Last Friday I rode past a skunk that was about 3 feet from me. Really glad I didn't get sprayed. I've kicked up rabbits and passed deer from about 30 feet. What have you come across on your commute?
Old 09-26-15, 06:49 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Roadkill, or alive...?

Best was a flock of turkeys crossing a bike/ped path through the woods. Must have been a couple dozen of them. They weren't impressed that I was rushing on my commute, so I stopped for a few minutes to let them cross un-harassed.
Old 09-26-15, 07:09 PM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Several deer, turkeys, rough grouse, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, feral cats, and one fox with what I presumed was a fresh rabbit in his mouth.
Old 09-26-15, 07:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I regularly see coyotes along some parts of my commuting route early in the morning. A lot of other wildlife too, rabbits, racoons, possums, skunks, geese, ducks, squirrels and we also have white tailed deer living in the wooded ravines.
Old 09-26-15, 07:16 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Early morning at a provincial park as I'm riding. I look up and see the rear end of a brownish animal galloping the same direction on the roadway maybe 30 feet in front. Way too big to be a dog, I thought, and way too silent. Then it dawned on me: it's a deer. And as quickly as it appeared it darted off into the woods and disappeared. Way cool, I thought.
Old 09-26-15, 08:13 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Woodchucks pretty much every day, standing by the side of the road and getting spooked by me as I ride by. Deer, including ones that have run in front of me and run alongside me. I've had hawks and owls fly alongside me day and night. Some kind of bird decided to attack my helmet every day for a month a few years back. Coyotes, they're usually very shy. Raccoons don't care about me much. Skunks, occasionally, I just steer clear of them. Cats and dogs, once in a while, though honestly I see more woodchucks than cats and dogs combined on my route. Sandhill cranes, pretty much every day. Canada geese are like friggin' flies around here. Frogs, snapping turtles, snakes, all once or twice a week.
Old 09-26-15, 08:14 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Deer, Fox, Coyote, Racoons, Polecats, Skunks, lots of rabbits and prarie dogs, possum, and ground hogs, all sorts of birds, most notably hawks and owls...I think I saw a bobcat one morning while taking a leak, but it was a fleeting sighting, so I am not sure.
Old 09-26-15, 08:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's been many years since I cycle commuted daily, but when I was stationed in Southern California I'd often see critters near dawn and dusk - quail, deer, skunks, etc. At Camp Pendleton it was very common to encounter coyotes, and occasionally large owls would swoop very close. Owls can be a far more dangerous threat than coyotes, but rarely attack humans. I was more worried about the feral dog packs than the purebred coyotes. I'd hear the feral dogs and occasionally see them at a distance, but never up close.
Old 09-26-15, 08:20 PM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
geese, rabbits, squirrels, deer. various road kill critters i.e. opossums, squirrels, birds, a skunk.
Old 09-26-15, 10:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I had a squirrel jump into my rear wheel and go thunk thunk thunk against my frame. I thought he was dead, as he didn't move for a while. Then he got up and walked away.

Be careful of Canada Geese in mating season, March. They are very aggressive then and also when they have their goslings.

I've had black snakes cross my path.

I once got a bee in my bonnet. I ripped the helmet off my head in a panic, didn't pay attention to my trajectory, and rammed into a parked car. Didn't get hurt. It was silly of me, because I'm normally not afraid of bees. I panicked because I feared it would be worse while I was riding.

I've had deer run right in front of me. They're dumber than squirrels. But does that count, because I don't commute where there are deer?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-26-15, 11:20 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Expected some pictures and was disappointed. Ran up on this lil feller on the MUP one day on the way to work.

He was not all that happy that I was so close. It took him a minute to even come out that far.
Old 09-26-15, 11:42 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Javelina, coyote, and a rattlesnake out in Arizona.
Old 09-26-15, 11:47 PM
Supermau

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anyroad 1, 26 HT MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four turkeys at once this summer and a few snakes, one of which I managed to photograph.
I spooked some deer on a couple of night rides as well - and they spooked me too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (83.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-27-15, 09:37 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I see elk from time to time when I ride through the forest preserve in Elk Grove Village. There's a herd of them there that the developers put in after people kept pointing out there weren't any elk in the town.
Old 09-27-15, 10:31 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Once saw a fox running at night.
Old 09-27-15, 10:49 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Fox, deer, turtles, and a few snakes.

I was riding a local rail trail a few weeks ago, and had a deer jump through the hedge right in front of me. It ran down the trail a few yards, then jumped back through the hedge.

Last month when I was riding on the Erie Canalway Trail, a Great Blue Heron landed in the canal right across from me when I stopped to have a sandwich. It's wingspan had to be at least 5'. It was huge.
Old 09-28-15, 03:11 PM
nosloedone

Bikes: Surly LHT, Fuji Nevada (winter beater)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turkeys, skunk, fox, deer, bald eagle, blue heron, racoons, rabbits, canadian geese, swans, cows, Lama, chickens, ducks, dogs and cats
Old 09-28-15, 03:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My most common area to see animals is along a fire road and the nearby lake, near dawn or dusk, as the season allows. Deer and turkeys and vultures and squirrels and geese, all the time. Hawks and snakes and egret fairly often. Migratory waterfowl seasonally. Otters. A couple of bobcats, one kitfox and one owl. Bats hunting around the street lights.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-28-15, 03:44 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Deer are like vermin around here, so I see at least one on 70% of my commutes. Turkeys are increasingly numerous. Bunnies, especially early morning in the dark, are everywhere. Hawks are plentiful, and for some reason nearer to or on the ground whenever it's rainy. Great Blue Herons, White Egrets, White Pelicans, Sandhill Cranes, the occasional Baldie. A week ago I had something jump into and rebound off my spokes. It was night, so no idea what it was. Saw a Gray Fox some time ago. Didn't realize till reading about it that this is not just a color phase. The Gray Fox is the only member of the Canine family that climbs trees. No kidding.
Old 09-28-15, 03:57 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve come close to deer, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, possums, squirrels, chipmunks, a skunk, turtles, snakes, Egress, and once I was actually being charged by a runaway cow that the Amish were attempting to capture (though not with much luck as that cow was enjoying its freedom)! My rides tend to provide plenty of interesting things to see.
Old 09-28-15, 04:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Foxes are spectacular. I once saw a pair of young red foxes play-fighting on a grassy field! And yes, I was on my bike.

I still haven't seen a coyote in the wild. I'd love to. I hear them at night every so often at our country place. I also saw a grey fox there, though I was on foot at the time. He stopped in the middle of the road and wouldn't budge until I got close.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-28-15, 04:47 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I had a badger trot alongside me in a dark park for about 50m. I don't think he noticed me.
Old 09-28-15, 04:53 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I saw a ground hog climb a tree earlier this year, didn't know they would climb trees. I saw a bear this year, sort of on a ride.......it was crossing my front yard when I was coming out of my shop putting my bike up. I had a deer run along the road in front of me for about 100 yards late one afternoon, along a corn field. I saw one dead rattle snake in the road this year, not many rattle snakes around here. I see turkey and small game daily, don't really take note of them.
Old 09-28-15, 05:26 PM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
I regularly see rabbits, osprey, and the occasional coyote. When I see the coyotes I always wonder how fast those suckers can run.

I once saw an osprey sitting on a guardrail eating a fresh fish. Pretty cool.
Old 09-28-15, 06:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Saw a bald eagle on Saturday a few miles from home. Not far from White River, where they are not uncommon in central Indiana in recent years. It was circling overhead and then settled onto a high branch in a tree near the road, where they was roadkill that may have caught it's eye. I went back to take a somewhat closer look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.