Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Neck pain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Neck pain

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 10:12 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Neck pain

Had to bow out of a 3 day mini tour on the Katy. First day was 42 from Defiance to McKittrick. By the last 12 miles, I was terribly uncomfortable, especially my neck. We had battled some wind early on the trip & admittedly, I'm not in the shape I should be. I thought my LHT was set up right for me, but maybe needs to be set up for an even more upright position. I've been liking the drops, but just saw a thread mentioning Casey's Crazy Bars. They look pretty interesting. Besides that possible change, any other adjustments that I might try?
Old 10-08-16, 10:55 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJH
Had to bow out of a 3 day mini tour on the Katy. First day was 42 from Defiance to McKittrick. By the last 12 miles, I was terribly uncomfortable, especially my neck. We had battled some wind early on the trip & admittedly, I'm not in the shape I should be. I thought my LHT was set up right for me, but maybe needs to be set up for an even more upright position. I've been liking the drops, but just saw a thread mentioning Casey's Crazy Bars. They look pretty interesting. Besides that possible change, any other adjustments that I might try?
Do you happen to have a shorter stem lying around? Tweaked my neck and back a while ago and swapping to a shorter stem for a few weeks seemed to work for me.
Old 10-08-16, 11:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
Had to bow out ...... I was terribly uncomfortable, especially my neck.......... I'm not in the shape I should be. ..... I thought my LHT was set up right for me.....
Not being in good condition.... you should expect some pain. If your bike fits and is setup right.... making changes to the bike won't fix your fitness. Although some cyclists can seem to go for a long period then jump on and ride. I don't think everyone can.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-08-16 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 11:53 PM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I had to learn to keep my neck in a neutral position; i.e., not chin-up. To go with that, any glasses you wear have to sit high enough so that if you look in the direction of your brow you can still see through them. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that shooting glasses let you do that more easily.
Old 10-09-16, 02:53 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Besides the shorter stem that Manapua mentioned, you could try an adjustable stem that would allow you to adjust a different angle getting your bars higher and you more erect with head up.

Old 10-09-16, 03:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
Can you post a photo of your bicycle ... or even better, you with your bicycle ... or even better, you on your bicycle?

That'll help us give you fit suggestions.

Otherwise, get in shape. Do core work. Do weights. It helps.

And sit up and look around several times in the middle of the ride.

Oh, also, do you have a light on your helmet?
Old 10-09-16, 05:42 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dorkypants
I had to learn to keep my neck in a neutral position; i.e., not chin-up. To go with that, any glasses you wear have to sit high enough so that if you look in the direction of your brow you can still see through them. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that shooting glasses let you do that more easily.
Sorry your ride got ruined. That's a real bummer.

That's good advice. The tendency is to always be looking straight ahead which is inherently chin-up which places some extra tension on your neck. Try to stretch your neck and look down for long periods of time.
Old 10-09-16, 08:03 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Thanks to all. Great suggestions. I do really need to lose weight & work on core strength.
My stem is short & has a good angle.
It's not an excuse really, but along with being out of shape, I'm 67 years old. I just don't bounce back like I used to.
Old 10-09-16, 02:08 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to lose the drops and go with a setup that's more comfortable and versatile for actual normal riding instead of racing.
Old 10-09-16, 04:46 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
  1. I do really need to lose weight & work on core strength
  2. I'm 67 years old. I just don't bounce back like I used to.
+1 on both analyses. Fortunately the first is under your control. I'd do that first, it can't end up being a bad decision.

As far as the bike is concerned you may want to consider raising the handlebars and/or ditching the dropbars, especially if your time in the drops is nil. Here's my LHT with it's North Road bars setup to be a couple of inches higher than my saddle.

I'm 63 now, but decided to do this upright rigging, a few years back, after experiencing some hand numbness when riding high mileage days (>90 miles).

Last edited by BigAura; 10-09-16 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 04:50 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
+1 on both analyses. Fortunately the first is under your control. I'd do that first, it can't end up being a bad decision.

As far as the bike is concerned you may want to consider raising the handlebars and/or ditching the dropbars, especially if your time in the drops is nil. Here's my LHT with it's North Road bars setup to be a couple of inches higher than my saddle.
That's a great looking setup, and if I ever stray from my trekking bars, that's the one I'll try next.
Old 10-09-16, 05:12 PM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm 63 now, but decided do this upright rigging, a few years back, after experiencing some hand numbness when riding high mileage days (>90 miles).

...is it bad that I kinda want one in pink with glitter mixed in the paint?
Old 10-09-16, 05:28 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
Like this...

OopS not enough glitter, and not sure it would have made up the Dalton Highway, but who knows?

Last edited by BigAura; 10-09-16 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 05:33 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
It's only bad if you don't post photos of you on it.
Old 10-09-16, 05:40 PM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like this...

OopS not enough glitter, and not sure it would have made up the Dalton Highway, but who knows?
Also too much white up front. Honestly, if they had tires in that color that weren't total crap I'd run em on my road bike too. The zebra stripes on mine look ridiculous enough as it is, might as well go all out.
Old 10-09-16, 10:47 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am hoping to have my Schwinn 974 powder coated pink, and do a Hello Kitty sticker/pin-stripping theme on it, with some modern dura ace.
Can't do it until I know that when I show up on a group ride I can be in the front of the pack. Otherwise I would look silly on it.

To the OP, if you raise the bars, be sure that your saddle is good for more upright riding. Luckily the LHT looks fine with almost any kind of bars. Good luck, and sorry about the interrupted ride, but its smarter to fix a problem than to deny it though.
Old 10-12-16, 03:18 PM
MJH

Originally Posted by Machka
Can you post a photo of your bicycle ... or even better, you with your bicycle ... or even better, you on your bicycle?

That'll help us give you fit suggestions.

Otherwise, get in shape. Do core work. Do weights. It helps.

And sit up and look around several times in the middle of the ride.

Oh, also, do you have a light on your helmet?
I didn't ignore your post. Going out of town for a few days, so pictures would be til next week I think it's a good idea to get some of you to look at me on my bike.
Old 10-12-16, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See: Shermer's Neck https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/ro...er-s-neck.html

And ... https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/video...-prevent-treat

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-12-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I thought my LHT was set up right for me, but maybe needs to be set up for an even more upright position, ...any other adjustments that I might try?...
new Un cut LHT Fork , so maximum height is not pre chosen by the length of the steerer tube cut off.
Old 10-12-16, 03:42 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Too bad about the Katy Trail. One of my favorite places to ride.

I had neck pains. Tried a riser stem. Bought a new bike. No joy.

Went to a doctor who prescribed physical therapy. PT gave me some exercises to do. Pain stays away as long as I occasionally do the exercises.
Old 10-12-16, 06:45 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also too much white up front. Honestly, if they had tires in that color that weren't total crap I'd run em on my road bike too. The zebra stripes on mine look ridiculous enough as it is, might as well go all out.
That's only 20 spoke wheels on that bicycle. At least it is steel.
Old 10-13-16, 10:36 AM
MJH

I'm 63 now, but decided to do this upright rigging, a few years back, after experiencing some hand numbness when riding high mileage days (>90 miles).
What brand bars are those? VO says their North Roads won't take bar ends. Are those just regular brake levers on that? If so, how comfortable is that for a hand hold?
Old 10-13-16, 11:07 AM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any suggestions about handlebar position/shape/height etc. are moot if your saddle height and set back and angle are not correct. Make sure of that first and then address the handlebar if needed.
Old 10-13-16, 11:17 AM
nickw

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Barring any sort of physical condition, I'm always surprised with threads like this when people recommend removing drop bars and putting on a higher rise stems. Sometimes it's our bodies that are limiting fit, that may need some work too, not always the other way around.

I've toured with flat / alt bars in the past (jones H bars) and I really disliked them after 4-5 days. Drop bars most certainly are not just for racers. Drop bars with the flats 5" lower than your seat may be, but when flats are about seat height it offers a comfortable balance of aero, handling and comfort, especially in head winds like the OP experienced.

Find a bike fitter, have them asses you and your bike, figure out what is limiting you. Work on yourself and your bike. YMMV of course, but most of the guys I've rode with that have had aches and pains solve it with minor PT and/or stretching, fitness, yoga routine.....nothing extreme.

N
Old 10-13-16, 11:23 AM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
That's only 20 spoke wheels on that bicycle. At least it is steel.
It's fortunate that smaller wheels don't really need a higher spoke count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.