Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace triple group, neo retro

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 02-17-17, 09:42 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

I've decided to go all Campy in my life, so this is moving on, enjoy it as I did. This was sort of a do it all, neo-retro randonneuring idea that came together before I decided on a different course. I'd like to try to keep this together for now, but my mind could be changed if there's interest. Pictured on the bike, but I can provide more pics as it's been parted out.

$225 shipped or best reasonable offer Most of that cost is in the RD. Happy to make a nice deal for a forum member.

Included are:

--10 speed indexed 7900 downtube shifters. These are currently mounted on a vintage shimano clamp and backplates. I think the vintage backplates are better because they're curve to fit the downtube, but I will include the original backplates if you want.

--7700gs triple rear derailleur. This is kind of a rare one. The large pulley wheel wraps more chain to accommodate the triple.

--7703 triple front derailleur.

--FSA Gossamer crankset and BSA threaded BB. Not much to say. It's a triple, it's silver. It's not very cool. Get a Dura Ace one. 50-39-30 rings.

--TRP RRL drillium levers with gum hoods. Pretty cool. Very low mileage. I still have the box and the angle inserts.

--FREE 105 cassette, 11-28. Pretty high mileage. Throwing it in as a bonus, but up to you.

Last edited by icepick_trotsky; 02-18-17 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 10:39 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Happy to consider trades for modern Campy stuff, too.

Last edited by icepick_trotsky; 02-17-17 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 07:16 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Question: so you can mount indexing shimano downtube shifters designed for braze ons to vintage shimano clamp? I'll have to try that out.
Old 02-18-17, 08:14 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Originally Posted by bikemig
Question: so you can mount indexing shimano downtube shifters designed for braze ons to vintage shimano clamp? I'll have to try that out.
Yes, but the clamp must be for SIS shifters. This was a generic pair of six speed.
Old 02-18-17, 12:05 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bump, price drop
Old 02-18-17, 03:46 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
What a cool bike -- any aspirations of running 650b's with those long reach brakes? (oops- never mind, just saw the line about going all Campy)
Old 02-18-17, 04:51 PM
SteveP223

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Braze on FD? Designed for a 53/39 pairing I'm guessing??? (the spec page mentions a 14T minimum between top and intermediate)
Old 02-19-17, 05:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveP223
Braze on FD? Designed for a 53/39 pairing I'm guessing??? (the spec page mentions a 14T minimum between top and intermediate)
You are correct, I think. The only difference between using a DA 7700 crank set for a triple or double was the middle ring. The middle ring for a triple had eyelets onto which the granny ring was mounted. The same crank set was used, with a wider BB spindle to accommodate the chain line and clearance from the stays.

It was a good idea. It did not catch on, which is why the middle ring now sells for $100 or more. That middle ring can be used the same way with other crank sets, making them triples with the wider spindles on a trial and error basis. I have no idea if there were failure issues with bolting a ring to a ring. TA Specialties seems to have it down.

DA 7700 crank sets start to deteriorate cosmetically as soon as you look at them. They are light and polish up well once you decide to remove the anodizing. Octalink bottom brackets are durable and easy to mount, except of course, the 7700, which is lighter but not as durable. I've always thought that Shimano could have dressed up the 6500 crankset a bit and had a better 7700.

The 7410 with the 7700's triple middle ring, on a wider square-taper BB, that would be a honey with this group.

The triple DA group was really, really nice, light and versatile and smooth. That long-cage RD is hard to find under $100 and the matching FD a bonus, as well. The shifters/FD/RD of this group are not that far off of OP's asking price, brake levers and his other stuff make it a pretty sweet deal. I'm not a huge Gossamer fan (crank set and BB are fine, just not gossamer-light), but he's right, it's triple, it's silver, weighs about the same as the 10-speed Ultegra, and looks more in line with the age of the frame.
Old 02-19-17, 08:30 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
IMO, great parts but not really a group. If you part out individually, you'll make your asking price back with no problem.

That RD is pretty hard to find on its own.

GLWS.

To add to @RobbieTunes comments: The 118mm octalink DA bb (7703) is impossible to find (harder than the RD). For the double, a lot of people went to the 7710 with 109.5mm as it is more durable ... spendy, but still available.
Old 02-24-17, 08:51 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What length is that FSA crankset?