Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedal question(s)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedal question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 01:26 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Pedal question(s)

So I started with mtn bikes & used Time Atac pedals. When I bought my first road bike, I just put Atac's on the road bike and used the same shoes. Never saw a reason to change, and the Atac cleats are recessed up in the sole of the shoe so no contact when walking.

I just bought a new (to me) Specialized Tarmac from and individual and it had SPD pedals on it. I removed them and put on Atac's.

But...

Is there a good reason to try the SPD's? I mean, cleats are cheap for a try out, I just don't know what if any, advantage I'd get from the SPD's over the Atac's. IS there an advantage? Endurance? Stiffer? Better power transfer?
Old 11-04-17, 02:15 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
SPD-SL - ”road” or regular SPD ”MTB”?

Staying within the family of recessed cleats - MTB pedals - I wouldn’t expect much difference between brands from a strict ride perspective.
It’s usually more about mud/snow clearing, ease of clicking in etc than actual pedalling feel.
Well, possibly if you’re one of those needing a certain amount of float not provided by the brand you’re about to try.
With good shoes I don’t notice much difference between road SPD or MTB SPD either.
But flexy shoes on MTB SPD can be a bit uncomfortable.
Can your shoes take road SPD cleats?
Old 11-04-17, 06:14 PM
WNCGoater

Humm, probably not. I believe they only have two mounting screw holes. SPD road cleats have three don't they?
Old 11-04-17, 08:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Probably no reason. There are more SPD-type pedals on the market, including titanium road. Just more common.
Old 11-05-17, 09:24 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Humm, probably not. I believe they only have two mounting screw holes. SPD road cleats have three don't they?
Yes, road SPD use three spaced wider apart.

By all means, try the other pedals. Cleats don’t cost much.
You might find you prefer the engagement/disengagement of one brand ahead of the other. Or the float. Or one might make better contact with the sole, offering more sideways stability.
Or something.
But unless one of these things have bothered you before, don’t expect a huge change.
Old 11-05-17, 09:49 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Been using using SPD on roadbikes and folders for a while. No problems over the years.
Tried out MKS' version of ATAC; couldn't get used to the entry. Plus the cleat sticked out
more; I could feel it when walking. Sold them after a while.
Old 11-06-17, 05:11 PM
WNCGoater

thanks for the replies!
Old 11-07-17, 09:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've rode a gazillion miles on SPD Road pedals. The stoker on my tandem had ridden about two gazillion miles on SPD Mountain pedals. I have yet to see a good reason to switch around. If you like what you're using, go with it. If you're tired of 'em or like the color scheme from Brand X or whatever, switch, and it probably won't matter, either.

I do note that it's easier to find sandals and winter boots for mountain pedals, if that makes a difference to you.
Old 11-08-17, 02:51 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
"clipless" pedals being better at power transfer etc is a bit of a myth according to studies on the topic. There may be an advantage there for things like top speed when sprinting, that's kind of another argument, but clipless is largely about foot retention not speed.

If both are mountain bike pedals (2 screws hold clip on the shoe and there's room for tread on each side) it's just nearly equivalent competing models. I prefer Time Atac's, they shed mud and snow better than spd's. Both are reliable (unlike oldschool eggbeaters). Mostly it's just a question of what's available to you and personal preference in how they clip in and out.

I wouldn't use different pedals system on different bikes, because I find it mentally easier to ride when it's always the same system (though nowadays I use flats).

If the spd's are the larger "road" kind (3 or 4 screws to hold the cleat on, cleat takes up most of the width of the shoe with no room for tread on the sides), they have somewhat better foot retention if you're sprinting throwing your legs around wildly to get to the max speed. For most of us it's a non-issue though, and not worth the trouble of having 2 pairs of shoes that clip in and out differently.
Old 11-08-17, 04:20 PM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I started riding again I went with mt shoes and clips on my road bike . After about 1000 miles I got another bike that came with road pedals so I decided to try that . Got new road shoes and clips . I like them for the bigger contact area and stiffer soles ,and maybe lighter weight
. Walking around is not really issue for me because my rides are mostly non-stop . I think that clipping in and out is maybe easier with the road pedals but not a problem with either style . I make the motion that the lingo be changed from " clipless " SPD , SPD-sl to saying road clips , mt clips , or good old fashioned toe clips . Oh yeah , and then there is speedplay but they are mo money than i want to spend to try right now . But , bottom line ,for now I prefer road clips and pedals .
Old 11-08-17, 07:09 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
So I started with mtn bikes & used Time Atac pedals. When I bought my first road bike, I just put Atac's on the road bike and used the same shoes. Never saw a reason to change, and the Atac cleats are recessed up in the sole of the shoe so no contact when walking.

I just bought a new (to me) Specialized Tarmac from and individual and it had SPD pedals on it. I removed them and put on Atac's.

But...

Is there a good reason to try the SPD's? I mean, cleats are cheap for a try out, I just don't know what if any, advantage I'd get from the SPD's over the Atac's. IS there an advantage? Endurance? Stiffer? Better power transfer?
I find your Time ATAC system to be superior to the spd cleat system that Shimano offers. There is more float and usually pedal for pedal, the pedals are lighter. If that's what you're used to, I'd not change - you are adapted to it and your shoes are already set up for them. Changing the cleats means going through all the repositioning of the cleats, new muscle memory getting in and out (each pedal is a little different, has a little different feel). If you're going to change cleats, then go all the way and switch to the Speedplay Syzr which is probably the best connection (shoe sole isn't part of the equation like all other systems) for an SPD pedal used on a road bike and it has better float.

But unless you're looking to change, I'd stay with the ATACs. Less aggravation. No real reason to change.
Old 11-09-17, 08:35 AM
WNCGoater

Based on responses and the fact I have two-bolt Mtn shoes, I think I will stay with what I know and works, my Time Atac's. Can't see I'd gain anything, especially considering a new shoe would be necessary.

Thanks for all the responses!