Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rehabbing mtn bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rehabbing mtn bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 07:38 AM
travgott

Bikes: vintage raleigh, bbf retro, vintage gitane, trek antelope, steel is real

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
rehabbing mtn bike

hi hive,

hopefully this fits in this sub, as it's basically mechanics. so i have a trek antelope (not sure on size frame) that i want to turn into a commuter. i was hoping some of you might give me some insight into specific parts i could use to make it a better ride. specifically, what wheels/tires are out there that might be better for roads? are 26" rims available that would work with hybrid skins?? the other thing i would like to add are fenders, and preferable road/hybrid style and not the clunky plastic mtb fenders. any insight as to ones that would work with the brakes on that bike (butterfly)?? thanks for any suggestions!!
Old 05-21-19, 08:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Your answers are from doing nothing but riding the bike as is to whatever you want to change.

Tires are a big factor is the feel of the ride. Many will suggest smooth treaded tires with a flat protective belting. Retaining the full aprox. 2" width or reducing down to about 1.5" wide can depend on road/path surface and the load the bike will carry. I like the 1.5" tires. leave the wheels as is for now till you get more preference decided. In enough time commuting will likely kill the rear wheel anyway Fenders, rack, lighting, bags all yes. If you find a sleek 26" fender set that are about 45 to 50mm wide do let the world know. Andy
Old 05-21-19, 08:34 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Schwalbe big apples, SKS Bluemels fenders, job done
Old 05-21-19, 09:42 AM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
thanks for the rec, just ordered some of the bluemels so hopefully those will work with the frame. fingers crossed!!
Old 05-21-19, 10:21 AM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
well, i had to get new wheels anyways since he old ones were pretty much shot and i was tired of twisting spokes to get them to stay true. plus i needed new tires, so that means news rims also, right??!! and a new cassette?!

also, since i got a new cassette i figured i might as well replace the crank, which also means a new hub. hahah, funny how i went from new tires and fenders to basically everything. keeping the derailers since those work fine and are in good shape. i almost, almost, popped on a new headset too, but i figured i would wait on that one.

i have a rack which is already on the bike and bags which work with that rack. do need to get some lights tho. as was rec'd below i got some sks bluemels fenders. hopefully they will work with the brakes, but i guess we'll see. i'm sure i can get a bit creative with the files if i need to.

if you can't tell i've been waiting and saving for awhile to do some work on this bike and now it's gonna happen as soon as a-zon delivers my stuff!! then i'll go to the lbs to find tires and get a new chain. i can't wait to get her in top shape again!!!!
Old 05-21-19, 10:54 AM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
That is a very good (albeit heavy) tire. If you wanted to save some coin, I think you can find Pasela Protites for about 1/3 the cost (I just bought some for $15 each on Amazon for example). Otherwise, if it has a compact chainring, I'd consider finding an old MTB standard (usually 28/38/48) and some friction shifters.
Old 05-21-19, 11:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Step 1 overhaul, clean, re grease..
Old 05-21-19, 11:52 AM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Step 1 overhaul, clean, re grease..
VERY true. Do this FIRST. I always strip everything off the bike, clean everything, regrease or lube everything, wax the frame, then I start to build/rebuild.
Old 05-21-19, 11:56 AM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Weresquatch
VERY true. Do this FIRST. I always strip everything off the bike, clean everything, regrease or lube everything, wax the frame, then I start to build/rebuild.
yes, that is definitely gonna happen. i need to de/regrease headset and bearings, and completely clean the der's. i can't wait till the weather finally turns and i can sit outside in the sun and start tearing her apart!! ahhhh, dreaming of bike work getting me through my workday hahahahah

(tried to post of pic of the bike from a couple years ago but i can't till i have 10 posts.) oh well, i'll post back with some pics of it as i start working hopefully next week

Last edited by travgott; 05-21-19 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For travgott:
Old 05-21-19, 11:57 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
check out this thread for ideas https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

other than that..... clean lube. Biggest bang for the buck will be putting non mountain bike road tires on. huge increase in speed and efficiency.

and of course lots of lights

Old 05-21-19, 12:00 PM
Weresquatch

Originally Posted by travgott
yes, that is definitely gonna happen. i need to de/regrease headset and bearings, and completely clean the der's. i can't wait till the weather finally turns and i can sit outside in the sun and start tearing her apart!! ahhhh, dreaming of bike work getting me through my workday hahahahah

(tried to post of pic of the bike from a couple years ago but i can't till i have 10 posts.) oh well, i'll post back with some pics of it as i start working hopefully next week
You and me both. I always like having a bike project of some sort....
Old 05-21-19, 01:53 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
well, i had to get new wheels anyways since he old ones were pretty much shot and i was tired of twisting spokes to get them to stay true. plus i needed new tires, so that means news rims also, right??!! and a new cassette?!

!
I am not sure about this statement "twisting spokes" means. Wheels are trued by tightening or loosening spoke nipples. A properly trued wheel can provide sometimes years of reliable service. New tires do not necessitate new rims as long as they are not radically narrower than the ones they are replacing. Cassettes,(or freewheels which is what your bike may have) need only be replaced if they are badly worn. Wheels are a major expense when you are refurbishing an older bike. Be sure about what you have before you spend on something else. This also goes for other relatively expensive parts like cranksets. Unless your bike has mega miles on it(20,000+) your chainrings are probably not worn out
Old 05-21-19, 01:58 PM
Weresquatch

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I am not sure about this statement "twisting spokes" means. Wheels are trued by tightening or loosening spoke nipples. A properly trued wheel can provide sometimes years of reliable service. New tires do not necessitate new rims as long as they are not radically narrower than the ones they are replacing. Cassettes,(or freewheels which is what your bike may have) need only be replaced if they are badly worn. Wheels are a major expense when you are refurbishing an older bike. Be sure about what you have before you spend on something else. This also goes for other relatively expensive parts like cranksets. Unless your bike has mega miles on it(20,000+) your chainrings are probably not worn out
OP has clearly been infected with "upgradeitis". There is no known cure.
Old 05-21-19, 04:15 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
thanks for the rec, just ordered some of the bluemels so hopefully those will work with the frame. fingers crossed!!
Handy tip: The stays on the Bluemels are made of really hard stainless. Get them set up on your bike, working well, then cut the stays to length, with a little bit of extra in those funny little plastic thingos. You can do this with a decent set of side cutter wire pliers and some normal pliers. Use the side cutters to nick or mark the stay where you need the cut. Use the pliers to flex the stay near the cut. If your nick is deep enough the stay will snap at it. If you only have a short stub above the stay you may need two pairs of pliers, one locking. Of course if you have access to some small bolt cutters or a grinder, use them.
And get your Schwalbes out of Germany, cheap as chips! The normal BAs aren't super heavy for a durable tire, but the green guards are.
Old 05-21-19, 07:35 PM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
yeah, by twisting spokes i mean tightening nipples. the wheels are shot, and pretty much were when i scrapped the bike together about 5 years ago. there was this guy in north pole alaska that would let you build up a bike from his parts and take it away for 25 bucks. i then spent the next summer just upgrading the cockpit and replacing little things, put in a cartridge bb, stuff like that. it was a great bike. then i moved and lft it in my exes garage for almost 3 years, until last summer i made the trip up there to retreive it. this bike has a lot of sentimental value and it is now time to put some proper things into it. moving back overseas again this summer so she's coming with me to be my daily commuter. yes, i probably didn't need a new cassette, but why not?! and yeah, probably could have left the ****ty biopace crank on there but that was something i wanted to replace years ago, so now was the time. the bb is just fine, but i figured since i was gonna make her new again i might as well pop on the 20 bucks for a new one of those too! it's gonna be my car, so might as well put some money into it.

haven't bought tires yet. gonna wait on those until i get it guilt up and then i'll go to the lbs for those and the chain. after that it's all about riding. oh, and maybe a new brooks!!!! black, b17, copper rivets, not that i've been thinking about it or anything
Old 05-23-19, 05:51 AM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
ooooooooooooaaaaahhh, parts are starting to arrive! i love that feeling

and the sun is shining, so maybe i can start wrenching later, idk

hope ya'lls are are having fun with your projects
Old 05-24-19, 05:54 AM
travgott

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
got some nice weather yesterday and, well, here it is with all the new parts i've gotten so far in the mail. still waiting on the wheels. thanks for the fender rec, the bluemels fit perfectly with zero fiddling! new crank and hub. can't wait to get the wheels and fw put on, then i'll be pretty much done. reading those drop bar mtb conversion threads is making me what to do more :0