Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmets for your handlebars

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmets for your handlebars

Old 08-06-19, 07:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This lady riding with a kid is going to be careening down the road at what, 6 or 7 mph? That's a pretty marginal call at best as to whether helmet wear adds a lot of safety in that situation.
Doesn't take much to get hurt. Standing still, then falling and hitting your head on cement could be life threatening.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 08-06-19, 08:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
you're in violation of Rule #76 // Helmets are to be hung from your stem.When not worn, helmets are to be clipped to the stem and draped over your handlebars thusly.
Rules I broke today:

24, 27, 30, 31, 33, 34, 41, 45, 48, 50, 54, 56, 57, 62, 74, 91, 92, and 93.

...and that's without trying. I ate a bar at mile 30, and stopped at a coffee shop (where I drank a vanilla milk) during my 70-miler this morning (3 hours 58 minutes.) Aerobars on there, pump and Co2s, the whole shebang.

The Rules are entertaining yet at the same time mostly ridiculous.
Old 08-06-19, 08:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
This lady riding with a kid is going to be careening down the road at what, 6 or 7 mph? That's a pretty marginal call at best as to whether helmet wear adds a lot of safety in that situation.
I've seen half a dozen people crash getting on and off the bike. Just last week I saw a couple cross a road on the MUP and the lady hit the sand and went down like a stone at maybe 3 miles an hour. When she got up here was a nice scuff on her helmet.
Old 08-06-19, 08:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Rules I broke today:

24, 27, 30, 31, 33, 34, 41, 45, 48, 50, 54, 56, 57, 62, 74, 91, 92, and 93.

...and that's without trying. I ate a bar at mile 30, and stopped at a coffee shop (where I drank a vanilla milk) during my 70-miler this morning (3 hours 58 minutes.) Aerobars on there, pump and Co2s, the whole shebang.

The Rules are entertaining yet at the same time mostly ridiculous.
I just hope your socks were not too high
Old 08-06-19, 08:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Way too high. I've got some over-the-calf stuff.
Old 08-06-19, 08:26 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
To put it into perspective: Runners often go more than 5km per hour and trip, pedestreans sometimes step off the curb. people getting out of showers slip, others fall off ladders... None wear helmets.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-06-19, 08:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Nothing bogus here - helmets banging around on the handlebars will damage them and make the ineffective at protecting your skull when you wreck. If you don't see the value in a helmet, don't bring it. If you see it has any value, put it on your head. Simple as that.
What makes you think a helmet that has suffered "damage" from being carried on the handlebars any less effective than a pristine version of same?

Quite simply, if helmets are so easily made ineffective at noggin protection and must be handled as if it were fragile glassware, the helmet probably has very little value for someone looking for serious head protection in real world use, especially if such critical "damage" is invisible to the user.
Old 08-06-19, 08:32 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
My helmet makes a great kickstand. But at the store I was very specific that I wanted a helmet made for gravel.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-06-19, 11:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Doesn't take much to get hurt. Standing still, then falling and hitting your head on cement could be life threatening.
I've seen half a dozen people crash getting on and off the bike. Just last week I saw a couple cross a road on the MUP and the lady hit the sand and went down like a stone at maybe 3 miles an hour. When she got up here was a nice scuff on her helmet.
Obvious points -- people don't wear "standing still then falling" helmets even though there's a non-zero chance of fatal injury, and a scuff on the helmet indicates she probably saved herself from a scratch but says next to nothing about the likelihood of serious injury. I'd bet money that you're far more likely to suffer a brain injury from falling down the stairs than getting off a bike, but we wouldn't be making snarky comments to a person carrying their bike helmet on the stairs.

Safety precautions are all about reducing probabilities, not for creating the impossible condition of zero risk. If you're alive, you are constantly facing a non-zero chance of fatal injury no matter what you're doing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-07-19, 12:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't wear my helmet on long climbs. I don't care what anyone thinks about it, either. If I have to go 6mph for 2 hours, the helmet isn't doing anything but making sweat. I keep a velcro strap in my bike bag, and hang the helmet from under the saddle.

When I get to the top and it's time to descend, I put the helmet back on.

I think the only takeaway from this thread is that if you're not gonna wear your helmet, don't hang it from the bars.
In fairness, though, the lady in the photo also has a basket on her handlebars. At low speed, that helmet isn't moving around much.
Old 08-07-19, 05:18 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Obvious points -- people don't wear "standing still then falling" helmets even though there's a non-zero chance of fatal injury, and a scuff on the helmet indicates she probably saved herself from a scratch but says next to nothing about the likelihood of serious injury. I'd bet money that you're far more likely to suffer a brain injury from falling down the stairs than getting off a bike, but we wouldn't be making snarky comments to a person carrying their bike helmet on the stairs..
She landed on the grass. She was a rather large lady, 250# or more and went down like a stone. If she had no helmet and hit the concrete or a large rock, I suspect she would of gone to the hospital.

I also once saw a 4 year old on a bike with training wheels. She turned her head to see behind where her parents were and of course she also turned the handle bars. She went over the handle bars and landed on her head. Her mom ran up and I told her to check her teeth.. they were fine,. But she brushed away her bangs and he had a bump the size of an egg. I told her to get her to the hospital.

Trust me I was shaken to see a a 4 year old so injured and only wondered if she was wearing a helmet would she be in suich bad shape.

Adults can make their own decision and will have to live with them. But kids rely on their parents to protect them.

Helmets are like seat belts... they don't work if you're not wearing them.

In Connecticut, motor cyclists are not required to wear helmets and most don't. We call them organ donors.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-07-19, 06:02 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
To put it into perspective: Runners often go more than 5km per hour and trip, pedestreans sometimes step off the curb. people getting out of showers slip, others fall off ladders... None wear helmets.
This. OP maybe grew up wearing a safety helmet all the time though so doesn’t get it. All good.
I personally wear a helmet all the time but don’t feel the need to call out and/or shame strangers for not wearing one.
Old 08-07-19, 06:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Cool story!

Like stated in the OP, don't wanna wear a helmet... leave it at home.
Old 08-07-19, 06:35 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This. OP maybe grew up wearing a safety helmet all the time though so doesn’t get it. All good.
I personally wear a helmet all the time but don’t feel the need to call out and/or shame strangers for not wearing one.
Really? Remind me about the safety helmets for the era when I grew up. (reference: I'm 50 years old).

When did the Toad shame a stranger? All I see is an observation on a internet forum pointing out ironic behavior. But thanks for playing along with your inaccurate assumptions!
Old 08-07-19, 06:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What makes you think a helmet that has suffered "damage" from being carried on the handlebars any less effective than a pristine version of same?

Quite simply, if helmets are so easily made ineffective at noggin protection and must be handled as if it were fragile glassware, the helmet probably has very little value for someone looking for serious head protection in real world use, especially if such critical "damage" is invisible to the user.
Your right, rattling around doesn't quickly render a helmet ineffective. But that really wasn't the point.

Again, if you see the value in a helmet to protect your skull, you take care of it and keep it on your head. If you don't see it as valuable, than leave it at home or simply don't buy one.
Old 08-07-19, 06:47 AM
downhillmaster

Your right, rattling around doesn't quickly render a helmet ineffective. But that really wasn't the point.

Again, if you see the value in a helmet to protect your skull, you take care of it and keep it on your head. If you don't see it as valuable, than leave it at home or simply don't buy one.
Or do whatever you want with it because it is your helmet
Old 08-07-19, 06:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Or do whatever you want with it because it is your helmet
[this is just] an observation on a internet forum pointing out ironic behavior.
Old 08-07-19, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

She landed on the grass. She was a rather large lady, 250# or more and went down like a stone. If she had no helmet and hit the concrete or a large rock, I suspect she would of gone to the hospital.

I also once saw a 4 year old on a bike with training wheels. She turned her head to see behind where her parents were and of course she also turned the handle bars. She went over the handle bars and landed on her head. Her mom ran up and I told her to check her teeth.. they were fine,. But she brushed away her bangs and he had a bump the size of an egg. I told her to get her to the hospital.

Trust me I was shaken to see a a 4 year old so injured and only wondered if she was wearing a helmet would she be in suich bad shape.

Adults can make their own decision and will have to live with them. But kids rely on their parents to protect them.

Helmets are like seat belts... they don't work if you're not wearing them.

In Connecticut, motor cyclists are not required to wear helmets and most don't. We call them organ donors.
The laws where I have lived have mandated helmets for children. Not really the issue as far as I'm concerned. If for nothing else, kids' heads are much larger in proportion to their torso than adults', so the likelihoods are quite different.

I always wear a helmet. As far as I can see, the theme of this thread is that it's ok to chide people you don't know for keeping a helmet on their handlebars because it's supposedly such a stupid thing to do. We can trade anecdotes all day long, but my point would remain the same--it's not ok to do so given that it's considered perfectly normal not to wear helmets doing things that are far more likely to result in brain injury without helmets.

If you want to be consistent and chide people for not wearing helmets while climbing ladders, engaging in competitive figure skating, pole vaulting, jumping hurdles, skateboarding, and walking on the escalator, fine, but don't expect the chiding to be applauded.

OP and I disagree on whether he is socially licensed to chide strangers because they violate his sense of irony.
Old 08-07-19, 06:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Cool story!

Like stated in the OP, don't wanna wear a helmet... leave it at home.
Like stated multiple times--who the heck are you to tell people what to do?
Old 08-07-19, 07:00 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Please allow me to repeat for your clarity:

[this is just] an observation on a internet forum pointing out ironic behavior.

Based on your posts, I'll assume you hang your helmet from you bars ... so I sorry that you felt like I was telling you what to do. Please continue to be ironic and I will continue to be amused.
Old 08-07-19, 07:00 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
..... but don’t feel the need to call out and/or shame strangers for not wearing one.
To be fair, I don't believe the OP actually "called out" or "shamed" the woman (unless anyone seriously suspects she's likely to be reading this thread). He's stated repeatedly he's just killing time and ranting a bit, to (more or less) like-minded people, on a discussion board... which is basically why these things exist.
No harm, no-foul.
If we start cracking down on threads that are casually conversational, frivolous, pointless, unnecessary, redundant, asked-and-answered, just-out-of-curiosity, etc.etc, then we'd probably reduce the forum's volume by 70% !
And as is often stated, but seldom heeded, "if you don't like the content, you don't have to read it, much less, comment". (Hey, that kinda rhymed ! Look, I'm a rapper now!)
And BTW, the OP makes a valid point. While people are admittedly free to do as they please, that doesn't negate the fact that it IS stupid to purchase, own, and then even carry a helmet, only to ride around in traffic with it hanging from your handlebars.

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-07-19 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 08-07-19, 07:01 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
That silliness can go on forever. Who are you to tell the OP what to do? (or not do)

Mods, Dump this mess in the helmet thread already. Thanks.
Old 08-07-19, 07:02 AM
downhillmaster

Really? Remind me about the safety helmets for the era when I grew up. (reference: I'm 50 years old).

When did the Toad shame a stranger? All I see is an observation on a internet forum pointing out ironic behavior. But thanks for playing along with your inaccurate assumptions!
Wow. Backpedal much?
You stated this:
‘If you don't see it as valuable, than leave it at home or simply don't buy one’
That’s clearly not just an observation. That is judgement.
Old 08-07-19, 07:05 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

The laws where I have lived have mandated helmets for children. Not really the issue as far as I'm concerned. If for nothing else, kids' heads are much larger in proportion to their torso than adults', so the likelihoods are quite different.

I always wear a helmet. As far as I can see, the theme of this thread is that it's ok to chide people you don't know for keeping a helmet on their handlebars because it's supposedly such a stupid thing to do. We can trade anecdotes all day long, but my point would remain the same--it's not ok to do so given that it's considered perfectly normal not to wear helmets doing things that are far more likely to result in brain injury without helmets.

If you want to be consistent and chide people for not wearing helmets while climbing ladders, engaging in competitive figure skating, pole vaulting, jumping hurdles, skateboarding, and walking on the escalator, fine, but don't expect the chiding to be applauded.

OP and I disagree on whether he is socially licensed to chide strangers because they violate his sense of irony.
In most states, bike helmets are required for children.

If you want to be consistent and chide people for not wearing helmets while climbing ladders,
OSHA already does.
Old 08-07-19, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In most states, bike helmets are required for children.

OSHA already does.
See a lot of people wearing helmets while cleaning gutters at their homes, do you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.