Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noob wanting to go clipless...help!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Noob wanting to go clipless...help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 09:06 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I guess the days of toe clips have passed most riders by now? I've been riding bicycles since I was a kid and I'm pushing 69. I've been using toe clips with straps for over 50 years and, as a recreational rider, they have suited me well. Plus, I wear whatever footwear suits the occasion when I'm off the bike.

Why have today's riders, especially those not racing, giving up using toe clips? You're not locked in the same way but don't they provide most of the same benefits? Just curious, not debating.
Old 08-30-19, 09:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by CSG
Why have today's riders, especially those not racing, giving up using toe clips?
hmmm ... guessing cuz it was just newer & possibly better (in riders eyes)? I gave up strapped toe cages when my last teen bike was stolen. past cpl decades been using the mini cages w/o straps cuz I like some foot retention & these provide enough for me. only tried cleated shoes & pedals (refuse to call them clipless) because I got some for free, then shopped for what I preferred. but still only use them on my road bike. the hybrid & mountain bike still have the mini cages w/o straps
Old 08-30-19, 09:20 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm ... guessing cuz it was just newer & possibly better (in riders eyes)? I gave up strapped toe cages when my last teen bike was stolen. past cpl decades been using the mini cages w/o straps cuz I like some foot retention & these provide enough for me. only tried cleated shoes & pedals (refuse to call them clipless) because I got some for free, then shopped for what I preferred. but still only use them on my road bike. the hybrid & mountain bike still have the mini cages w/o straps
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm guessing that most of the clipless riders are either into road bikes or MTBs and are working to get the most possible connection/power to their bikes. Me, as a casual, recreational rider who has never ridden with more than one person and justs likes the Zen of bike riding, wouldn't likely benefit from going clipless. I sometimes wonder if I even need straps on my clips? I find clips most helpful to keep my foot centered on the pedal. The straps simply add a bit of security to keeping them laterally centered.
Old 08-30-19, 10:48 AM
wiscobadger

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all! So I ended up ordering the following:

Shimano ME3 Shoes
Pearl X-Alp Gravel Shoes
Shimano PD-ED500

I believe everything should be here tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure if it makes sense to go clipless for me riding casually, but I'm in the situation where all my shoes are either dress shoes or running shoes with bulky soles.

Now another question for you....do you guys generally wear jerseys and shorts when you go out riding or do you go in street clothes (t-shirt and shorts)? I got a helluva deal on a Bontrager jersey and Pearl bibs, but I'm really not hardcore at all. Frankly I'm super out of shape and make it 5 miles max in my hilly neighborhood lol. Do I just wait on the jersey and shorts or what do you think?
Old 08-30-19, 11:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by CSG
wonder if I even need straps on my clips? I find clips most helpful to keep my foot centered on the pedal. The straps simply add a bit of security to keeping them laterally centered.
you can always take the straps off for a ride & see how you like that. I don't notice a big impact on my riding with the cleated stuff, but then, I'm not the type that would
Old 08-30-19, 01:42 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by wiscobadger
Thanks all! So I ended up ordering the following:

Shimano ME3 Shoes
Pearl X-Alp Gravel Shoes
Shimano PD-ED500

I believe everything should be here tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure if it makes sense to go clipless for me riding casually, but I'm in the situation where all my shoes are either dress shoes or running shoes with bulky soles.

Now another question for you....do you guys generally wear jerseys and shorts when you go out riding or do you go in street clothes (t-shirt and shorts)? I got a helluva deal on a Bontrager jersey and Pearl bibs, but I'm really not hardcore at all. Frankly I'm super out of shape and make it 5 miles max in my hilly neighborhood lol. Do I just wait on the jersey and shorts or what do you think?
With clothing, I say go with what you enjoy the most. If that means jerseys and bibs, rock on. Khakis and bowling shirts? It's your ride. I do believe that something high-vis is a good idea when on the road. Otherwise, ignore the "rules" and just ride what you like.
Old 08-30-19, 08:04 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I tried going back to cage/straps on my rigid Marin MTB so I could ride with running shoes (for those casual rides). None of my running shoes fit or felt good in the cages so after a few rides I swapped the pedals for platforms. After riding a couple decades with SPDs and cycling shoes I couldn't get used to the non-stiff soles of running shoes and the feeling of not being "clipped in".

I've since gone back to SPD's and cycling shoes (on all my bikes)....except for my Beach Cruiser.

Re: Clothing....I wear either cotton or Dry fit T's with cargo shorts with padded cycling lycra underneath.

Last edited by Speedway2; 08-30-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 09:11 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Nice hope it works for you. Read up on safety beforehand if you haven’t already done so. These actions helped me:
Each pedal has two tension adjustment screws. They were medium tension as received. I reset these to the lowest tension to start.
Practice clipping in and out in a stationary position before riding. Try 25 repetitions each foot to get a good feel and mindset.
Old 08-31-19, 11:23 AM
wiscobadger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My order arrived. Definitely like the Pearl's the best as they fit better than the Shimano's. I put the pegs on my shoes in the middle, does that sound right? I have to go buy a pedal wrench and 3mm hex key now to get the pedals set. Thanks all!
Old 08-31-19, 12:19 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
I was able to get the flat pedals off with an open ended wrench. A multi tool is a nice investment and can be used to install your new pedals. Very handy to carry along on rides.
Old 08-31-19, 12:22 PM
wiscobadger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
I was able to get the flat pedals off with an open ended wrench. A multi tool is a nice investment and can be used to install your new pedals. Very handy to carry along on rides.
Yup that's what I'm going to opt for. My crescent wrench is a tad too wide to install the new pedals, so I'll pick up a pedal wrench too. They're pretty inexpensive.
Old 09-02-19, 01:16 PM
wiscobadger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So my tools arrived and I tried everything out in my apartment. After a little bit I'm noticing the ball of my right foot (where I broke my foot once) is sore. That's right where the clip portion is positioned. Is that a sign I should try a different shoe perhaps?
Old 09-07-19, 08:49 AM
wiscobadger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up keeping the Pearl Izumi's and just moved the cleat back a little bit. I took them out for the first time today and never felt worried or unstable at any time. I used to BMX and mountain bike so maybe that's why I didn't have any issues or fall. I have the pedals set at 1 notch up from the minimum and did pop out a few times, so I went a notch tighter. Thanks all!
Likes For wiscobadger:
Old 09-09-19, 04:47 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I use a set of Shimano PD-M424 pedals on my trainer bike, and a pair of Giro Junction shoes (size 48). I use pedal extenders on my bikes, as I do get heel strike on the chain stay. I thought after most of last winter on the trainer, I might want to try clipless outdoors. I managed to get in and out, with the pedals as loose as possible. And decided against continuing for now. Seeing this thread, I realize I ought to try the 56 cleats instead. Maybe after another winter I might feel like trying again next spring.

I last tried clipless 25 years ago, Look style road cleats. A few too many falls and I gave up...
Old 09-09-19, 04:52 PM
wiscobadger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I use a set of Shimano PD-M424 pedals on my trainer bike, and a pair of Giro Junction shoes (size 48). I use pedal extenders on my bikes, as I do get heel strike on the chain stay. I thought after most of last winter on the trainer, I might want to try clipless outdoors. I managed to get in and out, with the pedals as loose as possible. And decided against continuing for now. Seeing this thread, I realize I ought to try the 56 cleats instead. Maybe after another winter I might feel like trying again next spring.

I last tried clipless 25 years ago, Look style road cleats. A few too many falls and I gave up...
Interesting. I didn’t have any issues. I’ve used them two days now. I used to be into BMX and was a downhill ski racer so I might have good balance/reflexes. 🤷🏽*♂️