Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 04:00 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Judging other peoples fitness level and health by the type of handlebars they ride or the type of bike they ride means that your logic and reasoning is all screwed up and you don't know anything about other people...My flexibility and fitness level is above average and I still choose to ride either flat bars or riser bars which I have mounted a little higher because that's what I prefer. I feel like it gives me better control of the bike when riding in traffic or when ripping around on singletrack trails. I am not a drop bar guy and never will be. And no I never stretch because being physically active on the job and working out with weights and doing calisthenics maintains my mobility and flexibility.
the judgement in this thread was against drop bars, not your flat bars or riser bars. Nice try at flipping it around.
Old 09-02-19, 04:08 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by FiftySix
I got my bad back the old fashioned way. By lifting heavy things at work and being bent over for long periods while working on machinery.
I lifted stuff correctly, and never over lifted, no bad back. landscaping , pipe fitting, rigging

I got my bad knees and ankles the old fashioned way. By injuring them playing sports.
again, majority of knee ankle injuries come from a lack of fitness and strength, or a simple muscle imbalance. especially torn ACL's

I got other injuries the old fashioned way too. Car and motorcycle wrecks can do that sort of thing.
had my share, wrapped a steering wheel around the column at 45 mh, walked away

Schtuff happens and then ya gotta deal with it the rest of your life. But, I'm still riding bicycles, I just can't deal with low bars well. Whether it's drops or riser bars that are inverted.
stuff does happen, like fast food, cheap beer, processed foods, lack of fitness, lack of specific exercise, lack of hydration, stretching, nutrients.
my point wasn't about accidental stuff ( you knew that though) , my point was about all the avoidable stuff. stuff that could be prevented for many others growing up, except you'll want to throw healthy advice down the toilet. but hey thats what big pharmaceutical makes ibuprofen and advil for?
Old 09-02-19, 04:10 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Koyote
They also seem to be doing a poor job of teaching proper grammar.
Is that all you have? when all else fails, then make it about the persons grammar
Old 09-02-19, 04:11 PM
Metieval

fyi: In my case, the “root cause” of my back problems came in the form of a full-size 1992 Lexus sedan which rear-ended my subcompact at about 45 mph. But thanks for your input.
they have a fix for that too, It's called better driver training, better testing, Less drivers on the roads that are not qualified, or responsible enough for the "driving privilege".
Old 09-02-19, 04:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
it isn't starving yourself with proper re-feeds.

that you see it as "starving" exhibits your ignorance (lack of knowledge) on fasting.
The way I see fasting, it's no different than self-flagellation...There is no good reason why a healthy physically active person who eats good diet should fast...Fasting is only for people who are very seriously ill and can't eat....or for people who are religious zealots seeking spiritual enlightenment.
Old 09-02-19, 04:52 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The way I see fasting,
enough said then.

screw the research, all that matters is how you see it.
Old 09-02-19, 05:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Is that all you have? when all else fails, then make it about the persons grammar

Okay...So, you want to judge people for their physical problems, assuming that they are all self-inflicted through laziness, poor posture, lack of stretching and other exercise -- even though there are plenty of other reasons for each of the ailments that are mentioned. But you dislike being criticized for something that is well within your control -- grammar.

I think I understand you now.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-02-19, 05:25 PM
Metieval

Okay...So, you want to judge people for their physical problems, assuming that they are all self-inflicted through laziness, poor posture, lack of stretching and other exercise -- even though there are plenty of other reasons for each of the ailments that are mentioned. But you dislike being criticized for something that is well within your control -- grammar.

I think I understand you now.
Never judged, just gave solutions to a better experience with the drop bar. I gave solutions to a better life for most people. They screamed and ranted for change but when it comes to personal change, no way!!! they Balk.

For a first world nation we have way too many self inflicted health issues. We are a carefree society, someone else will pick up our trash, and some lab will create a pill that fixes everything.

for recollection of quotes not mine!

Then I lost some more belly fat and began spending more time in the drops.
A big difference was losing the belly so I could pedal and breath easier.
It's true, I used my drop bars more and more as I lost most of my belly fat.
I also am getting more and more use out of the drops on my Toughroad, it's all a belly fat thing.
Though I was much skinnier back in the 90s, it was the excessive belly fat, resulting from 20-plus years of culturally-induced bad diets, that made it very hard for me to breathe reasonably well enough while on the drops of my decidedly not aggressive Raleigh Flyer.
It didn't matter that some of them were grossly overweight and lardy - the obese ones that couldn't possibly bend down just flipped the handlebars around to have the drops facing upwards.
Old 09-02-19, 05:27 PM
Metieval

I am sure they all had a belly because their Buick was rear ended by a Train though. Yes?
Old 09-02-19, 05:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Hey, if they work for you, that's just great. More power to you. They're just not for me.
It's interesting because I haven't heard anyone actually complain about using them. Seeing as there's no arguing taste so it's not a matter of right and wrong, what is it about brifters you don't like? Just curious.

I'm no fan of stem shifters, bar end shifters, downtube shifters, and barrel shifters. I won't even consider a bike with those.
Old 09-02-19, 08:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoD500_SR20-d
I was riding today and I saw a guy with drops attached to his mountain bike straight bars.
Now I find myself in the hoods and the top of the bars most of the time. If I bought my bike with straight bars it would not look as "racy". So my question is, "Are drop bars an illusion?" for most of us riders who want to fit in?
No. It's just that you don't use them to their full potential. You might check your fit if you aren't comfortable using your drop bars in all the positions they offer, and therefore don't have all the advantages they offer over straight bars for riding on the road. Or if you don't need those advantages, get some straight bars and decide if they are more comfortable than riding on the hoods. I bet not.
Old 09-02-19, 08:16 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
it doesn't help drop bars out any when people ride bikes that are too large for them.
Actually, I think a too-small bike is more likely to make the drops hard to use. The small frame has handlebars that are harder to adjust upward relative to the saddle, therefore the drops would probably require flexibility and fitness that most recreational riders don't have.

A too-large frame would allow the bars to be higher relative to the saddle, therefore probably easier to use the drops.
Old 09-02-19, 09:07 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts

a person can go from not being able to touch ankles to being able to touch toes in less than a week.
A BIG belly can be lost in 2 weeks, 4 weeks

BRB....going to grab a chocolate chip cookie while I read this thread...lol.....no.....seriously.
Likes For mynewnchome:
Old 09-02-19, 09:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For some reason, I keep thinking about the ancient Greek myth of Procrustes.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-02-19, 11:29 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's interesting because I haven't heard anyone actually complain about using them. Seeing as there's no arguing taste so it's not a matter of right and wrong, what is it about brifters you don't like? Just curious.
An evil combination of tiny hands, poor (or poorly trained) hand-eye coordination, and too much complexity concentrated at the tips of too few fingers.

In the 10 days or so that I had the 2016 Trek 1.2, the two times that I took it out were straight out of a Harold Lloyd flick. Later that same year, I thought I should give myself another chance with this whole brifter business, so I went over to my sporting goods place and tried out a Fuji Sportif around the shop floor, just to see if my newly acquired briftophobia was real. I was on the bike for about 15 seconds when I crashed into a rack full of soccer T-shirts, right after I caught myself shifting gears instead of braking. To this day, I cringe at the thought of what might have happened if I had broken that Sportif's carbon fork! I was done. I went on to pick up my first new-old-stock 2014 Trek 7.6 FX and never looked back.

Maybe when I'm older and smarter.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm no fan of stem shifters, bar end shifters, downtube shifters, and barrel shifters. I won't even consider a bike with those.
I don't know about bar end shifters or barrel shifter (I had to Google that one and scroll deep down) but back when my old Raleigh Flyer was my primary mode of transportation in the 90s, I probably could've used a pair of stem shifters instead of the Raleigh's downtube shifters, since I was on the handlebar tops most of the time (that thing had suicide brake levers that I used a lot.)

With that being said, having trained myself to precisely select every gear with the old Raleigh's downtube friction shifters, it's a learned skill that I still cherish today, especially after I swapped out the factory five-speed freewheel for a seven-speed, which required me to be even more precise. But I was younger and smarter.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 09-03-19 at 05:18 AM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 09-03-19, 04:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
like i said making PE optional in school was detrimental.

no stretching, no exercise, sitting all day. (sitting is the new smoking)

years of muscle imbalance, along with years of restrictive shoes, poor diet, poor hydration, nutrient imbalance, and now we blame a bad back?

the same can be said for cycling if it the only means of exercise a person gets. Years of only cycling will be painful.

as for changing the body in 2-4 weeks is easy. especially stretching. Do you do it once a day, or 7 times a day?

just ditching the inflammatory foods, will change a persons size drastically in 2 weeks. even if the weight loss was minimal. and goes a long ways towards allowing the hips to rotate properly.

yeah I do feel sorry for a adults with back issues, foot issues, spine issues, neck issues. and I blame a society that is unwilling to look at the root cause.
I feel sorry for people that blame society for everything.
PE never burnt off any real amount of calories and nobody is experiencing drastic changes in appearance by doing nothing other than ditching inflammatory foods for two whole weeks

Last edited by downhillmaster; 09-03-19 at 05:59 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 09-03-19, 08:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,212 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Descending a steep mountain road on the hoods is foolhardy.

Hard braking on the hoods is risky.

If you never descend a steep and twisting road, and if you never expect to have to brake hard, then you can get away without using the drops.
If your brakes aren't set up properly, it's foolhardy but that has nothing to do with the location of the brake levers. I regularly hit 40 and even 50 mph on loaded touring bikes and I brake almost exclusively from the hoods. I've never failed to stop doing so. Even unloaded, I do a lot of mountain cycling and can hit the same speeds. It's just never been an issue.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-03-19, 08:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If your brakes aren't set up properly, it's foolhardy but that has nothing to do with the location of the brake levers. I regularly hit 40 and even 50 mph on loaded touring bikes and I brake almost exclusively from the hoods. I've never failed to stop doing so. Even unloaded, I do a lot of mountain cycling and can hit the same speeds. It's just never been an issue.
+1. Like you, I am still alive.

BTW...OBTL.
Old 09-03-19, 09:18 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Since shifters got brought up, is there a specific reason bar-ends are used on "true" touring bikes? Is it a case of "much easier to fix if it breaks in the middle of nowhere"?
Old 09-03-19, 09:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I sure hope you don't descend steep mountain roads on the hoods, simply because "it's never been an issue". Yet.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-03-19, 10:30 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I sure hope you don't descend steep mountain roads on the hoods, simply because "it's never been an issue". Yet.
I have 2 words for you "Hydraulic Disk". There is a reason besides marketing they are being used more and more. Now you don't have to rely on leverage to brake.
Old 09-03-19, 10:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
I have 2 words for you "Hydraulic Disk".
I have two words for you "pot hole". Hit those unexpectedly on a fast descent, and you'll be thankful you descend only in the drops.

I have three other words for you "center of gravity". It's lower when you're in the drops, so you can brake harder while staying in control.

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-03-19 at 11:27 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of "brake"
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-03-19, 11:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Since shifters got brought up, is there a specific reason bar-ends are used on "true" touring bikes? Is it a case of "much easier to fix if it breaks in the middle of nowhere"?
Generally true. Not so much "fix" as there's not much to fail, more a case of you can flip them to friction mode, so if you've problems with an out of wack R derailer, really dirty cable, etc... you can still shift.

Sheldon Brown (remember Sheldon ?) pretty much debunked the whole "brifters are no good for touring" argument a few decades ago, they usually do not fail and don't cause issues on a typical tour. Cross Africa ?, I'd want simple, but cross US ?, not an issue.

There's a whole thread on this here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ring-bike.html
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-03-19, 11:21 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I have two words for you "pot hole". Hit those unexpectedly on a fast descent, and you'll be thankful you descend only in the drops.

I have three other words for you "center of gravity". It's lower when you're in the drops, so you can break harder while staying in control.
That's a true statement, there have been more than a few times this has happened to me...not even on a decent but just going fast. I would also add "control" to the lower center of gravity.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-03-19, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
"Nights in White Satin" is stuck in my head.

"But we decide which is right. And which is an illusion."
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.