Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Drop bar width

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 09:01 AM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop bar width

I was'nt able to find anything in search, maybe i was using the wrong words but sorry in advance if this has been posted a million time. Where do you measure to find the width of drop bars. I feel that mine are too narrow but dont know where to measure to get the width of them to buy a wider one.
Old 08-31-10, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its a measurement across the open end, manufacturers differ, some use outside,
some use centers.

The classic width is same width as your shoulders.. My loaded touring bike has wider,
Adds leverage to go with the extra mass in the front panniers.
Old 08-31-10, 10:25 AM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 08-31-10, 10:31 AM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that ive measured it that makes sense my shoulders are about 45cm my current bars are 40, I might actually go down to the LBS and test some diff. sizes ive in the past had my shoulder replaced, and my elbow rebuilt and ive been having problems with em while on long ride even with changing hand positions. My doc whos sports medicine said i probably should look into getting wider bars. Now its just too bad i cant get him to pay for em
Old 08-31-10, 12:41 PM
over1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you've had some pretty major work done, maybe the typical handlebar width rules don't apply.
How about temporarily trying a super-wide flat bar with bar-ends, and bring the hex wrench with you?
That way, you could vary the width without buying new bars, and you could even try an asymmetic position, if you discover your new biomechanical parts force you into it.
Once you find a position you can tolerate, get a bar/stem combination to reproduce your discoveries. If the chosen drop-bar clamp diameter/cross-section doesn't change, you may be able to offset it comfortably (we're talking small amounts, maybe less than one inch/25mm?
By the way, how about a different i.d. photo, something a little friendlier, maybe? Just asking.
Old 09-01-10, 02:31 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Don't count on your LBS having anything wider than 42cm. It's just the way they are. Velo-Orange stocks Nitto Noodle bars in 46and 48cm widths.
Old 09-01-10, 08:01 AM
Fizzaly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode a LHT that one shop had that was equipped with 46cm felt weird not used to that wide of bar but i liked it. And OVER1 i actually decided on 46 because i generally ride on the hoods and with the 46cm it puts my arms out straight not inward i tried recreating it on my M/B with flats and just couldnt but i either way i think im gonna buy some 46cm bars that shop has a take off that they'll sell me for 20bucks so even if they end up not being what i need im not out too much money. Thanks for your help guys