Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mt thoughts on Bike Nasbar

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mt thoughts on Bike Nasbar

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 08:55 AM
RichM76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts on Bike Nasbar

.... And their not good.

Here is my recent experience with Bike Nashbar.
I am not sure when they were founded but I know I bought cycling stuff from Bike Nashbar and Performance Bike about 20 years ago without a single problem, that is until recently when I created a new account to buy some new cycling related items. The problems begin when I received a subscription to Outside Magazine. For the life of me I did not know who would have done this until I thought of recently signing up at BN.

So I call BN and talk to their customer service rep. and she said they did it. Well I went ballistic, what gives them the right to do these kinds of things without my authorization. So I kindly ask the CSR to cancel my account at BN and she says she will forward it to the right person. I then go to the Outside Magazine website to cancel my subscription and stop auto renewal.

A week goes past and I’m still able to log in to my account at BN, so this time I email them. And I get same script from BN, we will will pass it on to the right person. After waiting a few weeks I receive another copy of Outside Magazine in the mail. Here we go again. Back to Outside Magazine’s website to cancel my subscription again and now I find even thou the magazine is in my name I am not authorized to change my auto renewal settings. I email a CSR from Outside Magazine, this time telling them that BN had no authorization from me to send me the magazine and I also ask to have my auto renewal changed. I also emailed BN again this time threatening to report them to the BBB and FTC.

I think that I would like to give a person or company a little leeway sometimes, but this time, three strikes and your out. If they can’t figure it out the first time you ask then there is something very very wrong. They seem very incompetent to me.

Customer Service Dept. or Company???? In this case I don’t know. It would be nice if there was a opt out when you sign up for an account , but there is none.

As far as I’m concerned I’m done with them. I just hope Outside Magazine isn’t as hard to deal with.

If others have asked BN to delete their account. My advice make sure they have, chances are they haven’t because they seem too inept.

The customer service at BN is very very bad so I sure hope others heed the warning here.

So as it stands now I have called my credit card company to report my card lost so BN can’t charge me for a auto renewal to Outside Magazine (I get a new number that is not in the BN system), waiting on a CSR from Outside Magazine to contact me. And I have given BN till September 16 to delete my account or they get reported and this story goes viral.

So this morning I decided enough is enough. I have given them more than enough time to delete my account.
So I reported Bike Nashbar to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission.

Last edited by RichM76; 09-12-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 10:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Isn't Outside a free promotional subscription in that type of situation ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-12-11, 10:44 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
Yeah, I just hate it when companies give me free things.
Old 09-12-11, 10:53 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So was your CC charged for the subscription in the first place?

I cannot figure out why you are so mad about this.
Old 09-12-11, 10:57 AM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's free for the first year, but what they don't tell you is that Outside Magazine is set to automatically renew at the end of the first year. The customer can't change it to off. Outside Magazine bills your credit card for the second year.

Last edited by RichM76; 09-12-11 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 11:00 AM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
So was your CC charged for the subscription in the first place?

I cannot figure out why you are so mad about this.
Without my knowledge. They did not ask me if I wanted a subscription to a magazine.
Old 09-12-11, 11:22 AM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And asking them three times to delete my account they won't.
Old 09-12-11, 11:35 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nashbar has a form you can print and mail which will cancel your subscription.
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...tside_Magazine
Old 09-12-11, 11:54 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by RichM76
It's free for the first year, but what they don't tell you is that Outside Magazine is set to automatically renew at the end of the first year. The customer can't change it to off. Outside Magazine bills your credit card for the second year.
Are you *sure* it automatically renews?
I've received Outside, but never had it automatically renew.
In fact since I was already a subscriber, it just extended my subscription for an extra year.
Old 09-12-11, 12:47 PM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I logged in to my account on there website and it is set to auto renew
Old 09-12-11, 01:02 PM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. I logged in to my account on there website and it is set to auto renew
The link I shared above confirms that it auto-renews. So you can either decline the magazine now (and get a $10 credit), or wait until next year when a bill comes for the renewal, you can write "cancel" and return it.

I understand it's a pain to have to deal with, but I've gotten so many unwanted magazines, catalogs and samples in the mail over the years, I guess I'm just resigned to it.
Old 09-12-11, 01:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
But did you actually get charged for it ? Or is it renewing for free ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-12-11, 01:08 PM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you NormDeplume I just checked again on Outside's website and now I'm not authorized to change the auto-renew settings even thou the subscription is in my name.
The main problem I am having is with Bike Nashbar not deleting my account, I have been trying to get it deleted for almost a month now.
Old 09-12-11, 01:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Are you sure Outside has your CC info?
It would be *very* unusual for one vendor to give CC info to another.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 09-12-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 01:28 PM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Are you sure Outside has you CC info?
It would be *very* unusual for one vendor to give CC info to another.
+1
Old 09-12-11, 01:30 PM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure. But with Bike Nashbar's past credit card security issues I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 09-12-11, 02:53 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate companies that do this kind of crap too. Just take me off your list. What is so hard about that?
Old 09-12-11, 03:01 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Peace & Grease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
I hate companies that do this kind of crap too. Just take me off your list. What is so hard about that?
+1
Old 09-12-11, 04:51 PM
Joemess
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.... And their not good.

Here is my recent experience with Bike Nashbar.
I am not sure when they were founded but I know I bought cycling stuff from Bike Nashbar and Performance Bike about 20 years ago without a single problem, that is until recently when I created a new account to buy some new cycling related items. The problems begin when I received a subscription to Outside Magazine. For the life of me I did not know who would have done this until I thought of recently signing up at BN.

So I call BN and talk to their customer service rep. and she said they did it. Well I went ballistic, what gives them the right to do these kinds of things without my authorization. So I kindly ask the CSR to cancel my account at BN and she says she will forward it to the right person. I then go to the Outside Magazine website to cancel my subscription and stop auto renewal.

A week goes past and I’m still able to log in to my account at BN, so this time I email them. And I get same script from BN, we will will pass it on to the right person. After waiting a few weeks I receive another copy of Outside Magazine in the mail. Here we go again. Back to Outside Magazine’s website to cancel my subscription again and now I find even thou the magazine is in my name I am not authorized to change my auto renewal settings. I email a CSR from Outside Magazine, this time telling them that BN had no authorization from me to send me the magazine and I also ask to have my auto renewal changed. I also emailed BN again this time threatening to report them to the BBB and FTC.

I think that I would like to give a person or company a little leeway sometimes, but this time, three strikes and your out. If they can’t figure it out the first time you ask then there is something very very wrong. They seem very incompetent to me.

Customer Service Dept. or Company???? In this case I don’t know. It would be nice if there was a opt out when you sign up for an account , but there is none.

As far as I’m concerned I’m done with them. I just hope Outside Magazine isn’t as hard to deal with.

If others have asked BN to delete their account. My advice make sure they have, chances are they haven’t because they seem too inept.

The customer service at BN is very very bad so I sure hope others heed the warning here.

So as it stands now I have called my credit card company to report my card lost so BN can’t charge me for a auto renewal to Outside Magazine (I get a new number that is not in the BN system), waiting on a CSR from Outside Magazine to contact me. And I have given BN till September 16 to delete my account or they get reported and this story goes viral.

So this morning I decided enough is enough. I have given them more than enough time to delete my account.
So I reported Bike Nashbar to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission.
]
YEAH!! That will show them.... How DARE They give you stuff you likely agreed to when you quickly clicked past all of the "I agree" and "I opt out" buttons when you signed up.

my story with Bike Nashbar centers around my credit card number being lifted, however that all got sorted out in the end. Still do business with them.

BTW, does anyone even look at BBB ratings anyway? The companies have to opt it...
Old 09-12-11, 09:40 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I thought there was also the Chamber of Commerce and the Attorney General (it was something like attention FAIO or whatever years ago).
Old 09-12-11, 10:35 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NormDeplume
The link I shared above confirms that it auto-renews. So you can either decline the magazine now (and get a $10 credit), or wait until next year when a bill comes for the renewal, you can write "cancel" and return it.

I understand it's a pain to have to deal with, but I've gotten so many unwanted magazines, catalogs and samples in the mail over the years, I guess I'm just resigned to it.
I don't understand. You get a $10.00 credit for canceling a magazine for which you weren't charged? Somehow, this confuses me no end.
Old 09-13-11, 05:18 AM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
I don't understand. You get a $10.00 credit for canceling a magazine for which you weren't charged? Somehow, this confuses me no end.
I don't really care about the subscription that much. It's how many times and how long they are taking to delete my account. The customer service dept at BN doesn't have clue what they are doing.
Old 09-13-11, 05:25 AM
rawhite1969
Back in the Saddle

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Vaya, Giant Mtn Bike, Draft SE SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the form says they mail you the subscription renewal. So not renewing, thus not getting charged is pretty straight forward. if they won't delete your account, then mark their emails as spam in your system and you are done with it
Old 09-13-11, 05:46 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I've order stuff from Nashbar all the time and never had a problem. But when ordering stuff you do have to un-check boxes for e-mails and mailings or else you'll get that stuff. But you joined their VIP program trying to save a few dollars and with that program comes the optional magazine. But even if you failed to do that or was drunk when you signed up for the VIP program, they still have the online form to cancel anything you don't want. Then if the Mag comes up for renewal your offered again to accept or deny the automatic billing BEFORE they renew it; then even after that you contact your credit card company and have them not pay for something you didn't order. I mean you have so many outs, I don't see the problem. So I guess I'm confused.
Old 09-13-11, 06:10 AM
RichM76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! For people who are on here that can't read. I just wrote this a few posts ago

"I don't really care about the subscription that much. It's how many times and how long they are taking to delete my account. The customer service dept at BN doesn't have clue what they are doing."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.