Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mercier Kilo TT vs. KHS Urban Soul

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 05:55 PM
Jeterfan3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, first time poster here! I am looking to get into fixed gear/single speed bikes in order to workout my legs during the summer time and just for general exercise. I'm looking to spend less than $400 if possible on a complete bike. Mainly, i've checked out the Mercier Kilo TT and the KHS Urban Soul. I went to my local bike shop today to check out the KHS, and it fit me pretty well, but it didn't have the handlebars that I like (drop bars). The bike itself cost around $360, and then I would have to pay more for the handlebars and new brake levers.

On the other hand, I have heard great things about the Mercier Kilo. However, I don't like the fact that I cannot actually ride it before I buy it online. Also, Im not really sure which size I would buy. I am 5'10 with an inseam of around 33". Would a 53cm fit better than a 55cm?

Overall, which bike would be a better decision?

Thanks in advance,
Max
Old 04-28-12, 06:59 PM
retrac1324

Bikes: 2011 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For sizing, complete this: https://competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

And compare it to this: https://cyclesmercier.com/geometry_tt.html
Old 04-28-12, 08:57 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I think either would fit you, might just have to raise the seat on the 53 a little bit. But I like the kilo tt waay better. I hate dramatic sloping top tubes. But the sizing on the mercier is different the 50 will fit like a 53 and so forth.I would go with a 53 or 55 kilo, though 53 if you wanna ride with a high saddle to bar drop .

Last edited by Philasteve; 04-28-12 at 09:25 PM.