Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Disc brake setup recommendations

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Disc brake setup recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 07:07 PM
dm_fuel100
Bike Geek

Bikes: Trek Fuel100, Litespeed Obed 1 speed, Orbea Force Carbon, Mongoose Team SX, Giordana Spica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, new member here.

I just broke down and bought an Avid mechanical disc brake with 160mm rotor and a Ritchey WCS front disc wheel for my Trek Fuel (front wheel only for now). Got the caliper, rotor and hardware for $69 from Pricepoint.

I was just wondering if anybody here has any setup tips they'd like to pass along? I'm curious about how to route and secure the brake housing.

Last edited by dm_fuel100; 03-24-05 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 07:18 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well the setup if the actual brake is super easy (Yes Raiyn i know). Just make sure the caliper is centered on the 51mm adapter! For cable routing look to sheldon brown
https://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
The best part of setup with avids is the centering feature, so use it to your advantage
Old 03-24-05, 11:44 PM
Dougmt

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The surly fork I just put on my stumpjumper touring bike had 2 awesome lugs for zip tying your cable to the fork... It' looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expect to get some SEVERE sqealing for the first 50 stops or so... Mine sounded so bad I thought I had made a SEVERE mistake but I washed the bike and jacked the speed up to about 15 MPH or so and braked HARD.... really hard. My bike and I weigh about 300# and the severe stops put an end to the sqealing... Funny enough though is now, instead of sqealing, it kinda sounds like a long fart... Oh well.. it's better than the sqealing.
Did I mentioned that my brakes sqealed REALLY loud when I first got them going????
D
Old 03-25-05, 01:08 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dm_fuel100
Hey, new member here.

I just broke down and bought an Avid mechanical disc brake with 160mm rotor and a Ritchey WCS front disc wheel for my Trek Fuel (front wheel only for now). Got the caliper, rotor and hardware for $69 from Pricepoint.

I was just wondering if anybody here has any setup tips they'd like to pass along? I'm curious about how to route and secure the brake housing.
Like I told phantomcow. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
https://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/...60-install.pdf
the best brakes in the world aren't worth a damn if you fail to follow the directions.
Don't worry they're so easy I could train a chimp to do it (not even a space chimp either a real poop thrower could learn this)
Old 03-25-05, 01:23 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok here's how I route mine:
Green = Housing
Red = zipties.
I also used some "problem solver" cable guides that mount in the holes left by the V-brake bosses for a cleaner look. Everything else follows the stock V-brake route

Last edited by Raiyn; 03-26-05 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 08:18 AM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like people have said the set up is pretty straight forward.

One of the more interesting techniques for routing the cable I have seen was posted on the MTBR forum.

Someone cut the end of a cable housing stop and used a small zip tie to make a cable guide. It is probably easier to understand if you see it.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...+guide+ferrule

I hope it is O.K. to cross reference another forum.

Happy braking,

GF
Old 03-26-05, 01:35 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenFix
L

Someone cut the end of a cable housing stop and used a small zip tie to make a cable guide. It is probably easier to understand if you see it.

That's pretty sweet. I may have to try that
Old 03-26-05, 07:14 AM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenFix
Like people have said the set up is pretty straight forward.

One of the more interesting techniques for routing the cable I have seen was posted on the MTBR forum.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...+guide+ferrule

I hope it is O.K. to cross reference another forum.

Happy braking,

GF
Woah thats really nice! I might give that a shot
Old 03-26-05, 04:46 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
Woah thats really nice! I might give that a shot
Yeah looks like it would eliminate the need to run the protective tape on the fork.
Old 03-28-05, 03:02 PM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Yeah looks like it would eliminate the need to run the protective tape on the fork.
I think this is one of the reasons given for this set up. It is supposed to reduce cable rub. I am going to try it myself this season.
Old 03-28-05, 07:42 PM
jmixer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been thinking of doing the front disc with the same setup. Anyone know how much weight you add with this. Right now I have XTR brakes on the front that would obviously come off. Suggestions on a good, light, faily inexpensive disc wheel/hub setup would be appreicated too.
Old 03-28-05, 10:42 PM
dm_fuel100
Bike Geek

Bikes: Trek Fuel100, Litespeed Obed 1 speed, Orbea Force Carbon, Mongoose Team SX, Giordana Spica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Like I told phantomcow. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS
https://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/...60-install.pdf
the best brakes in the world aren't worth a damn if you fail to follow the directions.
Don't worry they're so easy I could train a chimp to do it (not even a space chimp either a real poop thrower could learn this)
Thanks for those directions! That's what I wanted to know when I posted the question. And that cable guide is a nice touch. I'll give it a try when I do the install. I'm supposed to get the parts on Wednesday.

I haven't told my SO that I bought a new brake set. I wonder how long it'll take her to notice.

Last edited by dm_fuel100; 03-28-05 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 12:44 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for those directions! That's what I wanted to know when I posted the question. And that cable guide is a nice touch. I'll give it a try when I do the install. I'm supposed to get the parts on Wednesday.

I haven't told my SO that I bought a new brake set. I wonder how long it'll take her to notice.
No problem. Glad to help
Old 03-30-05, 10:58 PM
dm_fuel100
Bike Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the Avid disc and caliper today. Installation was a breeze, especially with the official instructions. Took me less than one hour to install. Here's a few pics. It's snowing out tonight so I couldn't try 'em out, but hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 03-30-05, 11:53 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got the Avid disc and caliper today. Installation was a breeze, especially with the official instructions. Took me less than one hour to install. Here's a few pics. It's snowing out tonight so I couldn't try 'em out, but hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice.
Looks good keep us posted