Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 04-07-16, 07:06 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Holy crap, that makes me feel a lot better about myself.
Old 04-07-16, 08:12 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Finally talked with my parents tonight about jobs and moving. Took it as well as can be expected for their only child moving to be near his in laws.

Job stuff is heating up. Two offers probably coming soon and a third possible, plus one or two other things a little farther out. One is pretty ideal (or I've convinced myself it is maybe). Great pay, consulting travel gig. I think it'll be hard but great for my career overall and my skills. I'll try to use the time in hotels and airports to program, learn new skills, read, exercise, better myself. I'll miss the family but it'll be good overall.

We'll see I suppose. Exciting but scary.
Old 04-07-16, 08:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by grolby
Holy crap, that makes me feel a lot better about myself.
No kidding. I read that a while back and thought it was crazy. I'm just lucky I guess to afford everything I can with ease.
Old 04-08-16, 07:43 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
interesting. this is like ripped from the pages of BF

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/sp...=top-news&_r=0
Old 04-08-16, 08:37 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or slowtwitch.
Old 04-08-16, 08:46 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, Jen redux.

The ST thread was great reading last year. I commend the Ironman people for banning her for life. This is where the UCI and USAC need to get to. There have to be real consequences.
Old 04-08-16, 09:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Was there more evidence than in the story? As far as I could tell there was only a single picture of her at a time between what it would have taken for one lap and 2. Did she just do one slow lap and tell everyone it was her second? I remember the story they referred to of the marathoner who cut a couple of courses short and then made up some other marathons whole cloth.

Old 04-08-16, 10:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Yesterday I got a phone call from an "Unknown Number." Normally I ignore those calls, but I thought it might be the cable company returning my call about our service being out. It wasn't the cable company.

Rather, it was some guy with a fairly thick accent that I couldn't place telling me that because I was such a great citizen, some portion of the Department of the Treasury was going to give me $9,000. This guy just needed to confirm some things. After asking him to repeat himself several times, because I could not understand him. I finally told him, "Look, I don't have time for this right now. Just mail me the check."

"Sir, we are trying to give you $9,000, do you not want it?" he said, sounding a little annoyed.

"Yeah, just send me a check. Thanks."

"Sir, I just need to confirm some details with you," he said, sounding even more annoyed.

"That's great. Listen, you're the government. You've got me info. Just drop me a check in the mail."

"Sir, I need to confirm information with you," he yelled at me.

"Look, you should have all the info you need. Just mail me the check," I said again.

"No. We will not mail you a check. You can go F--- yourself," he hollered and then hung up.
Old 04-08-16, 10:33 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Seems legit!
Old 04-08-16, 10:47 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
Was there more evidence than in the story? As far as I could tell there was only a single picture of her at a time between what it would have taken for one lap and 2. Did she just do one slow lap and tell everyone it was her second? I remember the story they referred to of the marathoner who cut a couple of courses short and then made up some other marathons whole cloth.
I think there probably was. But even still, she couldn't have been there when she was and then finished when she did. She probably ran one slow lap.
Old 04-08-16, 11:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My MIL was a CPA and incredibly conservative with money by nature, much of which has rubbed off on her daughter. We always pay off our credit cards every month and have paid cash for cars. So it's typically a struggle to negotiate spending money on things like bikes and electronics. Finally got the okay to buy a Tarmac and then I started to get cold feet. I'll have to replace the hubs on my racewheels and get a BB adaptor for my Quarq, not to mention pedals. Then I started thinking about other expenses: I need to get a new cell phone, I probably ought to buy a new suit, the BBQ needs replacing.... Pretty much talked myself out of a new bike. One more season on the ol' Ridley.... Just hope I don't crash it.
Old 04-08-16, 12:01 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
interesting. this is like ripped from the pages of BF

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/sp...=top-news&_r=0
iJen all over again
Old 04-08-16, 12:04 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

When you freelance pay day doesn't come all that often, but when it does it feels awesome. I might even buy a jar of the fancy peanut butter!
Old 04-08-16, 12:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Whoa, don't go too crazy there cowboy. Save something for a rainy day. Maybe get the store brand organic as a compromise.
Old 04-08-16, 12:09 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
There was way more than one picture. Dozens of athletes got together to build the evidence. Remember that if she wins, she qualifies for the world championships. It's way more than a medal and a photo.
Old 04-08-16, 12:12 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Whoa, don't go too crazy there cowboy. Save something for a rainy day. Maybe get the store brand organic as a compromise.
Only the finest Jif Natural for me!
Old 04-08-16, 12:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I suck at natural peanut butter. First I get the oil all over the counter and jar, and then by the time I get to the end I have a solid block of hard peanut, which is tasty, but not very spreadable. I went back to skippy.
Old 04-08-16, 12:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I don't have the upper body strength to churn that ****. Now that I'm rolling in it I might post a pb churning gig on craigslist though.
Old 04-08-16, 12:32 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I suck at natural peanut butter. First I get the oil all over the counter and jar, and then by the time I get to the end I have a solid block of hard peanut, which is tasty, but not very spreadable. I went back to skippy.
I tried it once I think. Went back to JIF. I have the same issues with sour cream. I get that **** everywhere. I shouldn't have to stir my food back into the correct form every time I want to use it.
Old 04-08-16, 12:32 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Only the finest Jif Natural for me!
It's the best, no stirring. I need to cut back on the pb&j, I'm 10lbs more than I want to be
Old 04-08-16, 12:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

funny I eat way more peanut butter than ever and I'm five pounds lighter!
Old 04-08-16, 12:47 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Finally talked with my parents tonight about jobs and moving. Took it as well as can be expected for their only child moving to be near his in laws.

Job stuff is heating up. Two offers probably coming soon and a third possible, plus one or two other things a little farther out. One is pretty ideal (or I've convinced myself it is maybe). Great pay, consulting travel gig. I think it'll be hard but great for my career overall and my skills. I'll try to use the time in hotels and airports to program, learn new skills, read, exercise, better myself. I'll miss the family but it'll be good overall.

We'll see I suppose. Exciting but scary.
Don't miss your kid's childhood. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yesterday I got a phone call from an "Unknown Number." Normally I ignore those calls, but I thought it might be the cable company returning my call about our service being out. It wasn't the cable company.

Rather, it was some guy with a fairly thick accent that I couldn't place telling me that because I was such a great citizen, some portion of the Department of the Treasury was going to give me $9,000. This guy just needed to confirm some things. After asking him to repeat himself several times, because I could not understand him. I finally told him, "Look, I don't have time for this right now. Just mail me the check."

"Sir, we are trying to give you $9,000, do you not want it?" he said, sounding a little annoyed.

"Yeah, just send me a check. Thanks."

"Sir, I just need to confirm some details with you," he said, sounding even more annoyed.

"That's great. Listen, you're the government. You've got me info. Just drop me a check in the mail."

"Sir, I need to confirm information with you," he yelled at me.

"Look, you should have all the info you need. Just mail me the check," I said again.

"No. We will not mail you a check. You can go F--- yourself," he hollered and then hung up.
I'm sorry for your confusion.
Old 04-08-16, 12:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Re: Finance talk.

I don't even know what money means anymore. It's like every dollar I spend now is worth something like 2 when it's paid off, so it's just easier to ignore it all (kidding).

My expenses are pretty low, except I really wanted to have a reasonable space to live so I'm spending a few hundred more than some of my classmates and a few hundred less than others that live by themselves. It's pretty comparable to the rent I used to pay in boston except I have a way better space so I guess it's okay with me. I'd rather spend less on other stuff. I keep telling myself that this is low for what I'd pay for rent in other places especially since my tuition is much lower too (same with COL here), but that's a hilarious fallacy of feeling like you're saving money that you never planned on spending otherwise.

Heh.

I'm honestly pretty lucky that I'll graduate with far less debt than many of my peers to the point where I can legitimately end up doing anything after school and live comfortably in spite of loans. There are people I know at other institutions that have to end up getting some sort of specialty because otherwise they wouldn't have a real income for the next decade... Slightly hyperbolic, but it's still pretty true given that most people that go to med school end up getting their first 'real' job in their late 20's or early 30's. That's a lot of time loss for investment/interest to accumulate making the money management even more important, but you end up in the situation that mikey was describing re: going from having no money to suddenly having a crazy paycheck which doesn't remind you of your debt every time it pops into your bank account.
Old 04-08-16, 01:06 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to pull off a veloflex sew up last night. It was my first glue job and that sucker was tough to get off. My confidence in tubulars has increased.
Old 04-08-16, 02:37 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to a place that has a grinder on site and turns the peanuts into butter as you push the button. I pay like $2.5 a pound and it doesn't separate like that stuff in the jars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.