Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Downside to Tubeless Rim if Using Tubes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 11:20 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shimano sent a tubeless version as a warranty replacement for my front wheel. I have no plans to run tubeless and doing just one wheel seems pointless anyway. The tire was harder to get on and there seems to be less space inside for the tube. Is this more likely to cause any issues? I wonder if less airspace will affect the ride or if the shape of the inside could make a tube more likely to flat. Keep it or try to get the non-tubeless version?
Old 08-09-14, 12:23 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't want to run tubeless tires, then I'd send it back. Not certain, but expect there might be some risk of a regular tire blowing off because of the different bead shape. I've run tubeless and it was okay. You can run a tube inside a tubeless tire is you like. Especially if you ever get a flat that won't seal.
Old 08-09-14, 12:30 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The main downside is the more difficult to mount rims. The main advantage is that you don't need any rim tape. The tubeless bead seat won't make a clincher tire more likely to blow off.
Old 08-10-14, 01:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I ran my AC Argents tubed for a bit, but mounting and removing Hutchinson Fusions was a breeze. I suspect the dificulty in that regard is dependent on the tire/rim combo, since it's not universally difficult, obviously.

Personally, I'd keep the wheel, run it tubeless, and look to get a tubeless rear for the full upgrade. Tubeless is an amazing improvement in ride quality and flat resistance.
Old 08-10-14, 05:45 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Personally, I'd keep the wheel, run it tubeless, and look to get a tubeless rear for the full upgrade. Tubeless is an amazing improvement in ride quality and flat resistance.

I second that, Shimano is one of many wheel manufacturers amping up their tubeless wheel offerings and unless you've tried it, you have no idea how much your ride will improve, even with just the front wheel. My bike (CAAD10) came with the Ultegra 6700 wheel set and I wore down my Schwalbe Drano's and when it came time to look for new tires I decided to try tubeless and bought a set of Hutchinson Fusion 3's. Yeah, mounting the 1st tire seemed a bit tough but I was doing it wrong because the rim is shallower where the spoke holes would be and because of that you must make sure the tire is squeezed together and centered on the opposite end of where your trying to get the bead over the rim. After the 1st ride, it was all worth while. The ride is amazing, almost like I put a set of shocks on my bike. It was so much better I actually felt slower because I wasn't feeling the feedback from the road but my average speed didn't suffer a bit and I've made steady gains since. Not sure which bike you have this on but if its one of your CAAD's, you'll be amazed at the difference. As far as the wheel being different than the non tubeless version, the difference is about 50g of additional weight due to the solid spoke bed, maybe a "road tubeless" decal on the rim, and the need to pay a little more attention to where the tire is on the rim while mounting.
Old 08-10-14, 09:32 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
If you don't want to run tubeless tires, then I'd send it back. Not certain, but expect there might be some risk of a regular tire blowing off because of the different bead shape. I've run tubeless and it was okay. You can run a tube inside a tubeless tire is you like. Especially if you ever get a flat that won't seal.
Why are you even posting this drivel if you aren't sure?

Not certain, but I think posting on bikeforums increases your risk of heart disease and thickens the hair inside one's ears.

ffs
Old 08-10-14, 09:51 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Shimano sent a tubeless version as a warranty replacement for my front wheel. I have no plans to run tubeless and doing just one wheel seems pointless anyway. The tire was harder to get on and there seems to be less space inside for the tube. Is this more likely to cause any issues? I wonder if less airspace will affect the ride or if the shape of the inside could make a tube more likely to flat. Keep it or try to get the non-tubeless version?
There are no safety issues. The tire will be harder to mount because of the tubeless rim and it sounds like the rim is more shallow.
Old 08-10-14, 09:52 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
The main downside is the more difficult to mount rims. The main advantage is that you don't need any rim tape. The tubeless bead seat won't make a clincher tire more likely to blow off.
+1
Old 08-10-14, 10:02 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I have Bontrager RXL TLR wheels with R3 tires & standard tubes (the regular R3's, not the R3 TLR's).
I've ridden ~5000 miles without issue.
The tires are no more difficult to mount on those rims than on non-TLR rims.
Old 08-10-14, 10:25 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle

Not certain, but I think posting on bikeforums increases your risk of heart disease and thickens the hair inside one's ears.

ffs
Slow news day. Trying to incite the rabble. How did I do?
Old 08-10-14, 12:28 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pretty good.
Old 08-10-14, 05:34 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I second that, Shimano is one of many wheel manufacturers amping up their tubeless wheel offerings and unless you've tried it, you have no idea how much your ride will improve, even with just the front wheel. My bike (CAAD10) came with the Ultegra 6700 wheel set and I wore down my Schwalbe Drano's and when it came time to look for new tires I decided to try tubeless and bought a set of Hutchinson Fusion 3's. Yeah, mounting the 1st tire seemed a bit tough but I was doing it wrong because the rim is shallower where the spoke holes would be and because of that you must make sure the tire is squeezed together and centered on the opposite end of where your trying to get the bead over the rim. After the 1st ride, it was all worth while. The ride is amazing, almost like I put a set of shocks on my bike. It was so much better I actually felt slower because I wasn't feeling the feedback from the road but my average speed didn't suffer a bit and I've made steady gains since. Not sure which bike you have this on but if its one of your CAAD's, you'll be amazed at the difference. As far as the wheel being different than the non tubeless version, the difference is about 50g of additional weight due to the solid spoke bed, maybe a "road tubeless" decal on the rim, and the need to pay a little more attention to where the tire is on the rim while mounting.
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I'm all that interested in tubeless but maybe this is my cue to give it a try. Are you using sealant? I've heard that it voids the warranty and can corrode the rim. Is there a "right" one?
Old 08-10-14, 06:57 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle

ffs
Old 08-11-14, 09:26 AM
dvdslw

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure I'm all that interested in tubeless but maybe this is my cue to give it a try. Are you using sealant? I've heard that it voids the warranty and can corrode the rim. Is there a "right" one?

I did use the Hutchinson Sealant (recommended by Shimano) and have had no corrosion whatsoever. From what I understand there was an issue with the 7000 series Dura Ace wheels and Stans Sealant. I have the Ultegra 6700 wheels which appear to be anodized on the inside to inhibit the corrosion issue. I'm not sure which wheel you have but I would hope Shimano has begun to anodize all of their road tubeless wheels these days. They are releasing the C35's in a tubeless version for 2015 and I plan to get a set but only if they're anodized. I say give it a try, the industry is headed that way so you might as well get on board. Everyone I have met that has gone tubeless swears they will never switch back to a std clincher, on the other hand there's a lot of people who are afraid to take the plunge because they have heard all the horror stories from the guys that had nothing but problems. The guys having trouble were simply doing it wrong using the wrong wheels, tires, or trying to do a ghetto setup which at 100+ psi is a recipe for disaster. You have the proper wheel so all you need is a "road tubeless" tire, stem (should have come with the wheel), and a small bottle of sealant. I just ordered a Fusion 3 from Performance during one of their 20% off flash sales and it was $63.00 delivered to the store. Either way, tubed or tubeless you'll be fine with the wheel they sent you but if you don't try tubeless you will always be asking yourself (as your riding) how much better would the ride be if I had tried it?
Old 08-11-14, 10:34 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I have Bontrager RXL TLR wheels with R3 tires & standard tubes (the regular R3's, not the R3 TLR's).
I've ridden ~5000 miles without issue.
The tires are no more difficult to mount on those rims than on non-TLR rims.
Have the same wheels. Tires as as difficult to mount as they are on Hed Ardennes and A23's.
Old 08-11-14, 11:08 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode tubeless Shimano 7900 wheels for well over a year. After the initial placebo effect wore off, I switched back to regular clinchers. Primarily because I wanted to go with carbon clinchers, not because tubeless was bad.
Old 08-11-14, 11:39 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
You have the proper wheel so all you need is a "road tubeless" tire, stem (should have come with the wheel), and a small bottle of sealant.
With a proper tubeless rim (especially Shimano) you don't need sealant, all you need is the tire. Main disadvantage is that tubeless tires are pricey ($60-70 ea on sale), compared with a Michelin Pro4 for $40.
Old 08-11-14, 11:50 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by gc3
I rode tubeless Shimano 7900 wheels for well over a year. After the initial placebo effect wore off, I switched back to regular clinchers. Primarily because I wanted to go with carbon clinchers, not because tubeless was bad.
Here's a wheel that gives you the best of both worlds, one of the first true aero carbon clinchers that are tubeless certified EC90 AERO 55 CLINCHER | Easton Cycling
Old 08-11-14, 12:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
With a proper tubeless rim (especially Shimano) you don't need sealant, all you need is the tire. Main disadvantage is that tubeless tires are pricey ($60-70 ea on sale), compared with a Michelin Pro4 for $40.
That comment is a little misleading, in the sense that it's true you don't need sealant with a true tubeless rim for the purpose of holding air, i.e. the sealant doesn't need to make airtight a less than airtight rim/tire interface. However, I can't think of a good reason not to use some sealant for puncture sealing (some of the non-anodized Shimano wheels aside), especially since many tubeless tire and tubeless rim combos are awfully hard to mount and dismount, and not the kind of thing you'd want to tackle out on the road.
Old 08-11-14, 12:22 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That comment is a little misleading, in the sense that it's true you don't need sealant with a true tubeless rim for the purpose of holding air, i.e. the sealant doesn't need to make airtight a less than airtight rim/tire interface. However, I can't think of a good reason not to use some sealant for puncture sealing (some of the non-anodized Shimano wheels aside), especially since many tubeless tire and tubeless rim combos are awfully hard to mount and dismount, and not the kind of thing you'd want to tackle out on the road.
Is there a way to know if the RS81 wheel I received is anodized or sealant approved? Nothing came with the wheel. The inside of the rim is silver and looks slightly "rough" and dull.
Old 08-11-14, 12:56 PM
dvdslw

Is there a way to know if the RS81 wheel I received is anodized or sealant approved? Nothing came with the wheel. The inside of the rim is silver and looks slightly "rough" and dull.
I'd say if it's rough and dull that it is anodized. The older Dura Ace C24's were not and the inside of the wheel looked just like the brake track shiny aluminum/scandium finish minus the machining grooves.