Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Checked your tires lately?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 11:13 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Just a reminder to give them a spin and look for bad spots.

Glad I took a minute to look at mine. I'm doing 100 milers on Saturday and Sunday and thought I'd give them a look just as a precaution. Sure enough the rear tire had some threads starting to show. I replaced it and was getting ready to go out for our normal Tuesday night 30+ mile group ride. A storm came up quickly so we didn't ride.

Today I looked at the front tire more closely and noticed threads showing there as well. The wear marks were showing the tire to be pretty good but if you looked further around the tire I could see a weak spot where the threads were already showing. So changed that one as well. I'm so glad I changed it before the ride rather than have an issue on the ride. I'd forgotten how hard it was to get a tire slipped over rim on the front wheel. It would have meant at least 30 more minutes on the road.
Old 09-19-14, 11:22 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I hate changing tires, but there is nothing worse than flatting because of negligence. I bought some Vitt's Evo Courso. They roll smooth and fast, but they get beat up so easily. I was surprised at the blemishes I had in the first 500 miles. Checking the tires has now become a regular monthly habit. My Conti Gran Prix feel like sponges compared to the Vitts, but there are no blemishes in the past 1500 miles.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-19-14, 11:32 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Just a reminder to give them a spin and look for bad spots.

Glad I took a minute to look at mine. I'm doing 100 milers on Saturday and Sunday and thought I'd give them a look just as a precaution. Sure enough the rear tire had some threads starting to show. I replaced it and was getting ready to go out for our normal Tuesday night 30+ mile group ride. A storm came up quickly so we didn't ride.

Today I looked at the front tire more closely and noticed threads showing there as well. The wear marks were showing the tire to be pretty good but if you looked further around the tire I could see a weak spot where the threads were already showing. So changed that one as well. I'm so glad I changed it before the ride rather than have an issue on the ride. I'd forgotten how hard it was to get a tire slipped over rim on the front wheel. It would have meant at least 30 more minutes on the road.
Good reminder! My experience is that when the threads start to show, you're only a short distance away from having threads all the way around the periphery of the tire. It would be nice if other tires had Conti's wear indicators.

Anyway, I'll also suggest that before a long ride, you also check the sidewalls and the bead, too. And if you're like most people and pause or rest at the top of a long grade and before you head down a long descent on the other side, take a quick look at your sidewalls then as well.

I'm trying to make a habit of this (I often forget).

Old 09-19-14, 12:04 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
JPPE, you got your money's worth. Good job on the discovery.

I need a set on my Canondale. Tires have already been rotated and now the back is flattopped. New set for next season. I rode 3 seasons on these Michelin Krylion 23's, great tires.
Old 09-19-14, 12:26 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
...also look for embedded shards that might work their way through and cause a flat. New thick tread rubber tends to hold onto shards better than when worn thin.
Old 09-19-14, 12:28 PM
garyus

Bikes: 88 schwinn tempo gary fisher mamba

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just purchased Gatorskins two weeks ago.
Old 09-19-14, 01:09 PM
Rogus

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just surprised to hear so many of you check your tires infrequently. I check them at least twice a week and often more if the road seemed to have more junk in it than normal. Of course, I guess it depends on how often you ride. I know some people check tires after every ride. Once a month ride and once a month tire check?
Old 09-19-14, 01:22 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'm doing well to check the tires once a month. But I look at a section of them when I'm pinching the tires before riding, basically twice a day, so I figure I see it all during the course of a month.

Seeing some thread here and there doesn't actually worry me much. Except that I tend to be more careful not to skid the tires or bounce off something. It's when the spots get big and you wear through the threads that it's definitely time to order new ones.
Old 09-19-14, 01:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've never yet had a tire wear out the tread. They always seem to delaminate or bulge, or be taken off and set aside to make a style change.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-19-14, 01:45 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked tire wear indicators on my conti 4000s after each ride .
Old 09-19-14, 01:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've never yet had a tire wear out the tread. They always seem to delaminate or bulge, or be taken off and set aside to make a style change.
It's wearing out the tread, then the rubber under the tread, and then the threads under that. Depends on the tire really, some tires just don't seem to ever wear down. I've got some old 32c Kenda's that I don't like much but with more miles than any other tire I've had and still have thick tread on them.
Old 09-19-14, 02:05 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the same as @wphamilton. A daily spot check on each. I keep my eye on the front at stops. I try to do a thorough look over every few weeks.

That being said I just went out and did a full check.I was paranoid something was wrong and the thread reminded me I wanted to check.

After the puncture I got last week I want to ensure no problems happen. It was a big hole and I used a duct tape boot. It was the rear and could stand to be replaced after the hole.

I have never worn an adult bike to the threads. I have had more problems with sidewalls on my schwalbe failing. So I am vigilant about checking them.
Old 09-19-14, 02:19 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Hey, I have a question relevant to checking tires.

I've noticed that my commuting tires last MUCH longer than the ones I ride on the weekends.

The tires are different (Conti Gatorskins for the commute ... Michelin Krylion, Pro4 Endurance, or (in the past) Conti 4000) on the weekends), but I've had my commuting tires last insanely long, regardless of the tire brand or model.

I think a big part of the difference is that a good part of my commute is on old, smooth concrete, while almost all of the weekend riding is on asphalt ... and some if it pretty rough asphalt at that. Thoughts?

Old 09-19-14, 06:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts

Only after every ride when the bike is flipped upside down and the rims/spokes/hubs are cleaned which happens to precede the cleaning of the rest of the bike.
Old 09-19-14, 06:46 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Before each ride the tread and air pressure get checked, after each ride a cursory check for glass, thorns or other embedded stuff. I've ridden to the cord on two rear Gatorskins, our asphalt roads wear them quickly, its a very coarse and abrasive surface.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-19-14, 06:56 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I check my psi before every ride and I Inspect after every ride,,,

I don't have tire problems,,, only one thorn flat in two seasons,,,,

I see riders on expensive bikes all the time sporting bare threads and cracked treads,,,to each his own.
Old 09-19-14, 08:54 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I try to take a close look at the surface of the tires before every ride - unless I took a look after the previous ride. Nice to find stuff sticking into the rubber that can be removed before going down through the tread/casing/kevlar belt towards the tube. I tend to replace tires based on too many little nicks and cuts in the surface, usually long before threads are exposed.

Last edited by JanMM; 09-21-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-19-14, 11:48 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Anyway, I'll also suggest that before a long ride, you also check the sidewalls and the bead, too. And if you're like most people and pause or rest at the top of a long grade and before you head down a long descent on the other side, take a quick look at your sidewalls then as well.
+1

About a month ago I was planning to do a very hilly ride, located a couple of hours from home. I normally check my tires fairly closely (tread and sidewall) about once a week. This time I figured I'd check the tires a couple of days before the ride. Glad I did. The rear looked fine, but I found a sidewall cut in the front. It wasn't that big, but it was big enough for the tube to be protruding out the side. Glad I caught it. I shudder to think about a blowout on some of those descents - they were bad enough with the high wind gusts. I'm glad I didn't notice it as I was pumping up my tires after having driven for 2+ hours. Now I carry a spare tire in my bike-stuff bag any time I'm driving out of town for a ride.
Old 09-20-14, 03:40 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Vic-I bet there is some logic to the type of surface affecting tire wear. I've noticed I get a little different mileage on tires on different bikes that are used on different surfaces and they are the same type of tire.

Good point on checking the sidewalls and beads. I had just finished a really fast downhill and had a tire to blow out on the sidewall. It was actually a wired bead and apparently there was a weak spot and the sidewall came off the bead and the tube blew. Just glad it didn't happen when I was doing 40+ down the hill.........plus I never bought that type of tire again.
Old 09-20-14, 03:46 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
All my bikes have brand new tires, but before every ride I check the pressures and after every ride while cleaning my bikes (yes, I am anal about keeping my bikes clean), I check the tires for any issues.
Old 09-20-14, 05:18 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I check my tires after every ride and before I hang the bike up. That way there's no surprises when i take it out again.
Old 09-20-14, 03:49 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

I feel fortunate to ride on NC roads. No thorns and pretty free of damaging stuff. I just jump on my bike and ride!
Old 09-20-14, 04:26 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've gotten into the habit of wiping then checking the treads thoroughly after each ride. It only takes about a minute. Right now I have a few minor surface cuts but the tires are in tact. As soon as I see fabric coming through, that tire is gone.
Old 09-20-14, 08:11 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I flatted today on mile 85 of our century - a small glass shard. Of course with my trusty CO2 and Bontrager tube, I changed the flat in about two minutes. Its the first time in about two years that I have flatted, and I put right at 11K miles on the bike in the last year.

I vote CO2 as the cycling Innovation of the decade.
Old 09-21-14, 06:33 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Only after every ride when the bike is flipped upside down and the rims/spokes/hubs are cleaned which happens to precede the cleaning of the rest of the bike.
+1

I do like a clean bike. But other than my desire to keep the bicycle looking good.... there just isn't a better way to make sure the mechanical parts are fully inspected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.