Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is there something better to wear than "road kits" for a recreational road cyclist?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is there something better to wear than "road kits" for a recreational road cyclist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 08:56 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As someone fairly new to road cycling, I've been wondering, are we wearing the right clothes when we ride? Most group rides I go on, the riders have the typical jerseys and padded cycling shorts. I assume this came over from the race world. Is that correct?

If so, does wearing what racers wear when they race make the most sense for a recreational road cyclist to wear?

I've personally migrated from wearing flappy underarmour type shirts and gym shorts to riding with a pair of padded bib shorts and one of several cycling jerseys that are tight fitting lycra (I assume) with pockets in the rear. I did this partly to cut down on drag and bulk and partly because it is just what most other road cyclists I see wearing. The rear pockets are also pretty functional on a ride versus other places of storing things.

Are there other road cyclists out there riding in something other than the standard cycling jersey and shorts configuration? If so, what and why do you feel it is better?
Old 11-19-14, 09:23 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Grant?? Is that you?
Old 11-19-14, 09:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
just because racers wear cycling specific clothing doesn't mean that nobody else should. Anything else is a compromise. There is mountain bike clothing, which is probably the next best thing. Most mountain bikers I know at least wear a cycling jersey. Many wear bike shorts
Old 11-19-14, 09:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3670 Post(s)
Liked 5,422 Times in 2,756 Posts
Bike jerseys and padded shorts have become standard because they make sense. If you ride any significant distance, loose shorts will chafe your thighs. Most butts appreciate a chamois. As you mentioned, the pockets on jerseys are useful. Long zippers help with temp control and a closer fit prevents annoying wind flap. There are stylistic choices that can help differentiate one from racer types. Wear black shorts, no team flamboyance. Jerseys can be a more relaxed fit and still not flap. Use common sense as you would for street clothes. If you are older or heavier, don't dress to attract attention. Not talking about visibility to motorists here, that's another issue. Now, if you are fast, fit and young, wear full kit and flaunt it!!
Old 11-19-14, 09:35 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
When I multi-day tour, I wear padded MTB shorts (by Zoic) that have pockets, and a soccer jersey. I don't need the cycling jersey pockets, and the shorts pockets work great for cash and ID.

When I am doing a single day ride, I wear the standard cycling shorts and jersey, because they are the most functional for comfort, performance, and utility.

When I swim, I wear swim trunks. If sport specific clothes make sense for swimming, why not for cycling?
Old 11-19-14, 09:46 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
If you (or anyone else here for that matter) has found a clothing combination more comfortable than padded bib shorts and jersey, please don't share it because you'll be missing out on a lucrative business opportunity.
Old 11-19-14, 09:57 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
I've personally migrated from wearing flappy underarmour type shirts and gym shorts to riding with a pair of padded bib shorts and one of several cycling jerseys that are tight fitting lycra (I assume) with pockets in the rear. I did this partly to cut down on drag and bulk and partly because it is just what most other road cyclists I see wearing. The rear pockets are also pretty functional on a ride versus other places of storing things.
It depends on your style of riding and what your goals are. If you rarely use the rear jersey pockets and don't mind the fabric flapping in the wind, then why bother with a good quality jersey. Heck, some people prefer cotton, but they must not be sweating much. You'll see a difference in comfort in cycling specific jerseys and shorts/bibs when you start going longer distances. You can wear almost anything and be comfortable for 15-20 miles, but spending 3+ hours in the saddle can change your mind. Whether you purchase the jersey and shorts as a matching kit or individually doesn't really matter much unless looking good on the bike is a higher priority. I have both only because I was able to get them at a good discount, or it was to support a shop or group I ride with.
Old 11-19-14, 10:05 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
It really depends on what kind of riding you are doing. If going out on a club ride where the goal is to push myself for a duration from point to point, the cycling kit makes sense. If going out on a ride where it is a long century the cycling kit makes sense. If going on a ride where I'm stopping at stores or cafes and taking it rather easy, the cycling kit doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-19-14, 10:06 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
30-70 mile group rides currently.
Old 11-19-14, 10:12 AM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
Try your next 70 miler in non cycling specific clothes next time and answer you own question. That way you can know for sure, otherwise it could be some guy on the internet with no experience giving you bad information.
Old 11-19-14, 10:15 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If the OP is not trolling...

The race-orient cycling kits are optimized for comfort for road cycling at higher speed than other forms of cycling (mountain biking or commuting). That's why they are form fitting and made of material such as lycra.

On the other hand, if you are interested in less race-oriented kit, the Giro New Road collection is actually quite functional, and not bad looking either. They definitely don't scream "roadie".
Old 11-19-14, 10:20 AM
mukman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can wear stuff from companies like Giro and Vulpine who are making clothes for cyclists who don't want to wear spandex and scream "I'm a cyclist!". I wear their stuff and typical spandex, they're both good times.
Old 11-19-14, 12:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
If the OP is not trolling...

The race-orient cycling kits are optimized for comfort for road cycling at higher speed than other forms of cycling (mountain biking or commuting). That's why they are form fitting and made of material such as lycra.

On the other hand, if you are interested in less race-oriented kit, the Giro New Road collection is actually quite functional, and not bad looking either. They definitely don't scream "roadie".
I don't believe anyone has accused him of trolling yet.

The New Road stuff is nice, but costs as much as the competitive gear or more. I don't see the benefit of paying full price to not look like a cyclist, while riding a bicycle.

I've cycled in t-shirts and board shorts and running gear and soccer gear, and while I've found some cross-sport equipment that is just as good as any specialty cycling equipment (a base layer is a base layer whatever sport you're wearing it for), when it comes to riding any sort of distance I'll wear my lycra padded shorts and my long-zip, 3-pocket jersey and might bring my arm-warmers and convertible jacket if it's cool enough. Because they're the most comfortable clothes for cycling in that I've owned.
Old 11-19-14, 12:15 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mukman
You can wear stuff from companies like Giro and Vulpine who are making clothes for cyclists who don't want to wear spandex and scream "I'm a cyclist!". I wear their stuff and typical spandex, they're both good times.
I just looked this up. Looks like this line of clothing would be good for touring, or casual rides. One note. Sizing isn't terribly clyde friendly.
Old 11-19-14, 12:16 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Leinster
I don't believe anyone has accused him of trolling yet.

The New Road stuff is nice, but costs as much as the competitive gear or more. I don't see the benefit of paying full price to not look like a cyclist, while riding a bicycle.

I've cycled in t-shirts and board shorts and running gear and soccer gear, and while I've found some cross-sport equipment that is just as good as any specialty cycling equipment (a base layer is a base layer whatever sport you're wearing it for), when it comes to riding any sort of distance I'll wear my lycra padded shorts and my long-zip, 3-pocket jersey and might bring my arm-warmers and convertible jacket if it's cool enough. Because they're the most comfortable clothes for cycling in that I've owned.
That was my thought.
Old 11-19-14, 12:19 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if i go for a quick ride of less than about 2 hours, i just wear t shirt and regular shorts.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-19-14, 12:22 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
just because racers wear cycling specific clothing doesn't mean that nobody else should. Anything else is a compromise.
Form follows Function.
Cycling clothing has evolved in design and materials to be comfortable and efficient at high levels of effort over long distances in a wide variety of conditions.
For plootering about down to the farmer's market or riding to work less technical kit works fine, for an August century in the Hill Country not so much.

-Bandera
Old 11-19-14, 12:26 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Now, if you are fast, fit and young, wear full kit and flaunt it!!
Well, I'm old and only half-fast, but I'm fit. I flaunt it.
Old 11-19-14, 12:29 PM
MRT2

The Jersey doesn't have to be super tight. Though I am not usually a huge Trek fan, I did wind up buying three Bontrager Solstice Jerseys on sale at a LBS. They have a half zip, three back pockets, elastic at the bottom, and lightweight technical wicking fabric. In other ways, though, the fit is a little looser than the typical race fit bike jersey. I wear standard cycling shorts because of the function, but I have in the past thrown a pair of loose nylon running shorts in my bag on ride days where I might stop at a sit down restaurant and might not be comfortable wearing cycling shorts.

My son is more of a mountain biker than a roadie, and he now wears loose mountain biking shorts with a built in chamois when he rides. I bought him the standard, tight roadie shorts, but he doesn't like them.
Old 11-19-14, 12:31 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
If so, does wearing what racers wear when they race make the most sense for a recreational road cyclist to wear?
Only if comfort, wicking, and aerodynamics matter to you. If those things aren't a consideration, wear something else.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-19-14, 12:41 PM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY

When I swim, I wear swim trunks. If sport specific clothes make sense for swimming, why not for cycling?
To be fair, you said swim trunks. Competitive swimmers do not wear trunks, they wear jammers. Most recreational swimmers wear trunks. Most fitness based swimmers wear jammers or speedos.
Old 11-19-14, 12:50 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
It really depends on what kind of riding you are doing. If going out on a club ride where the goal is to push myself for a duration from point to point, the cycling kit makes sense. If going out on a ride where it is a long century the cycling kit makes sense. If going on a ride where I'm stopping at stores or cafes and taking it rather easy, the cycling kit doesn't make much sense.
clomping around in cleats is a minor hassle, but cruising around stores and cafes in a full kit doesn't even phase me anymore.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-19-14, 12:55 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
clomping around in cleats is a minor hassle, but cruising around stores and cafes in a full kit doesn't even phase me anymore.
We cyclist are definitely not a self-aware bunch... while we think of nothing talking around in our spandex and full kit, others think we are kind of nuts. This was hit home when my daughter (age 12) refuses to let me sit with her and her friends at the coffee shop when I'm in my full regalia.
Old 11-19-14, 01:02 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
We cyclist are definitely not a self-aware bunch... while we think of nothing talking around in our spandex and full kit, others think we are kind of nuts. This was hit home when my daughter (age 12) refuses to let me sit with her and her friends at the coffee shop when I'm in my full regalia.
Really? Sometimes I throw a leg up on the coffee counter and flex when I am at the coffee shop. I guess that's a faux pas.
Old 11-19-14, 01:10 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Jarrett2, check out this website: Urban Velo | Bicycle culture on the skids.

tons of links along the right side of the page, plenty of clothing sites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.