Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Recommend me a pump.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 08:33 PM
fxdgrjedi
Fakenger

Bikes: Yo Eddy Team, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommend me a pump.

So I'm thinking I need a new pump, and am needing advice. I use my cx bike for everything from commuting to mountain biking. I normally ride to the trails, drop my tires to 30 or so PSI, shred, then ride home. I like to pump my tires back up if the ride home is more than 5 miles. My pump is a Lezyne pressure drive, which really has been a great little pump, miles better than any other mini pump I've used.

But after a week of bad commuter flat juju and after trying to get my tires (700x40) up to road pressure for the 10 mile ride home from the trails, I am getting tired of the 100-140 pumps it takes to get my tires up to 65 psi. I was shredded after my ride today, no strength to do much pumpin, and ride home on 40 psi.

I'm hoping something like a frame pump like a zefal hpx or Topeak road morph would allow me to pump up to pressure in less strokes. (co2 is not an option, due to expense, waste, and ill feelings from an utter betrayal and subsequent long lonesome walk a few years back)

Will a nice big fredsome frame pump solve my weenie pumping arm woes? Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-31-15, 08:44 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a full-on Master Blaster frame pump. It definitely is MUCH easier to use than a mini-pump, but still not as nice as a fast as a real floor pump. That being said, it works well enough to allow me to easily air up and air down between 45 psi on gravel and about 85 psi on pavement. And it only costs $25. The only problem is the lack of a gauge - I wish one of these fred-style frame pumps came with a simple pressure gauge.
Old 01-31-15, 08:58 PM
fxdgrjedi
Fakenger

Bikes: Yo Eddy Team, Serotta Colorado II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner
I have a full-on Master Blaster frame pump. It definitely is MUCH easier to use than a mini-pump, but still not as nice as a fast as a real floor pump. That being said, it works well enough to allow me to easily air up and air down between 45 psi on gravel and about 85 psi on pavement. And it only costs $25. The only problem is the lack of a gauge - I wish one of these fred-style frame pumps came with a simple pressure gauge.
Thanks I'll add that one to my list! Could you describe "easily air up" in terms of time, effort, and number if pumps with the Master Blaster? Thanks!
Old 01-31-15, 10:25 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Topeak road morph with gauge. You put it on the ground and a flap comes out to put your foot on, and it becomes a small floor pump. Being able to push against the ground with two hands if you want, makes it a great pump. The gauge is easy to read. Different tire sizes need different amounts of pump cycles. No way to really analyze the number of pump strokes.

A larger diameter MTB pump will need less pump strokes but be harder to pump. A narrower diameter road pump will be easier to push but needs more strokes. Get the road pump. Less force and more strokes is like spinning in a low gear. More force on the pump with less strokes is more like grinding in a hard gear.
Old 02-01-15, 07:02 AM
DirtRoadRunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fxdgrjedi
Thanks I'll add that one to my list! Could you describe "easily air up" in terms of time, effort, and number if pumps with the Master Blaster? Thanks!
I would say it takes 1/5th the pumps on my mini-pump but 2x the pump of my floor pump, to reach a given pressure. Perhaps Topeak publishes the pumping volume, in which case the number of pumps required to reach a certain PSI for a certain tire size could be calculated and compared against pumps.

Pros: Cheap, light, mounts in an out-of-the way location, dosen't look bad
Cons: No gauge
Old 02-01-15, 12:52 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will second the Road Morph G. After letting several folks use it out on the road, at least 50% have purchased one for themselves. I should get royalties from Topeak!

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Topeak road morph with gauge. You put it on the ground and a flap comes out to put your foot on, and it becomes a small floor pump. Being able to push against the ground with two hands if you want, makes it a great pump. The gauge is easy to read. Different tire sizes need different amounts of pump cycles. No way to really analyze the number of pump strokes.

A larger diameter MTB pump will need less pump strokes but be harder to pump. A narrower diameter road pump will be easier to push but needs more strokes. Get the road pump. Less force and more strokes is like spinning in a low gear. More force on the pump with less strokes is more like grinding in a hard gear.
Old 02-01-15, 02:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Mini Floor .. morph type pumps let you push against the ground .. to get the pressure..

Longer frame fit pumps compress more per stroke , because of their length.. using both arms..