Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Every cyclist needs to watch this.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-04-20, 12:54 PM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts

An excellent video from Phil Gaimon and I agree entirely with it.

Old 06-04-20, 01:21 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
That was excellent. At one point he says don't tell folks their bikes have to cost $10,000 and they have to shave their bodies and whatnot, but they'll get there like we all did. Yeah, bike cost can be like opening pandora's box, but things like shaving legs and arms and whatnot are still fairly niche as far as I'm concerned. I don't do it, never got any crap from anyone about it, and probably never will. Maybe I'm just not riding with the right people. Not really trying to criticize the video because it was excellent. His message is pretty simple: getting a lot more people involved in cycling is a good thing, and scaring people off by criticizing or making fun that they're not doing something that old schoolers have decided is the "right way" to do cycling is a bad idea.

One great example, actually, is wearing traditional cycling garb. Some folks new to cycling want to wear baggy t-shirts and shorts and whatnot, and may show up to a group ride so attired. Well, they're not wrong, though in time they'll probably figure out, like most of us have, that there are real practical benefits to wearing the kind of cycling attire that we wear. Maybe it's just a mental block in some folks because they've made fun of MAMILs for so long and now they fear they'll become one. If they stick with it they'll probably get over that hang-up. If they're just puttering around at low speeds, though, maybe they'll never wear the tight cycling garb because at low speeds the advantages are far less significant.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 06-04-20, 01:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
If Phil really cared he would slow down to 7 mph and ride with me instead of blasting by me at 20 mph up a mountain.
Come on Phil I'm a noob and need the confidence boost.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-04-20, 04:38 PM
awesemblauge

Bikes: colnago master piu, litespeed ultimate, kona sutra, knolly chilcotin, knolly podium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
i'm incredibly hopeful that the increased cycling that is going on will help usher in better bike infrastructure in my neck of the woods, or at least get more people talking about it. great vid!
Old 06-04-20, 05:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Until the weather can be fully controlled to accommodate bicycling, it's a quick trend soon to pass here.
Old 06-04-20, 05:57 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
That was a really good video. Thanks for posting SurferCyclist.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-04-20, 06:14 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
But I was hoping for future good deals on slightly used bikes

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-04-20, 07:51 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Me too. And a lot of them look good.
Old 06-04-20, 08:29 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I went to the main local bikestore yesterday to pick up a set of new tires. Haven't been there in over a year. They usually have plenty over 50 bikes on display for sale. But, they were practically sold out. Only had about 1/2 a dozen oddball bikes for sale and, about 1/2 a dozen bikes in for repair. Show room was empty. Manager told me nothing is coming in anymore. We're definitely living in interesting times.
Old 06-04-20, 09:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Somewhere in his voluminous web presence, Sheldon Brown once wrote about the derogatory term "Fred." He didn't use the term, didn't like it, because all cyclists were his friends.

It's a good attitude.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-04-20, 10:16 PM
1964GTO

Bikes: 1972 Peugeot, 2012 Giant Sedona, 2020 Trek FX-2

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Thank you for posting, great video. Also if you work in a LBS, don't judge a person by hair color (gray), age (older) or weight (bigger). I was in a nearby LBS, the sales person walked up while I was looking at the road bikes and without asking a single question, wanted to show me the newest eBike they had in the store. Nothing wrong with an eBike, but ask the customer first, a professional should be able to follow the visual cues we give off. So, yes that store lost a good sale and loyal customer. This was four months ago, before every LBS sold out.
Likes For 1964GTO:
Old 06-05-20, 03:34 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Somewhere in his voluminous web presence, Sheldon Brown once wrote about the derogatory term "Fred." He didn't use the term, didn't like it, because all cyclists were his friends.

It's a good attitude.
Until it becomes like Nerd or Redneck. Now embraced as a cool thing to be.
My name is Hillyman and I"m a Fred. Always have been, always will be. So was Sheldon. Seen pics of him and his bikes?

Old 06-05-20, 03:57 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
One great example, actually, is wearing traditional cycling garb. Some folks new to cycling want to wear baggy t-shirts and shorts and whatnot, and may show up to a group ride so attired. Well, they're not wrong, though in time they'll probably figure out, like most of us have, that there are real practical benefits to wearing the kind of cycling attire that we wear. Maybe it's just a mental block in some folks because they've made fun of MAMILs for so long and now they fear they'll become one. If they stick with it they'll probably get over that hang-up. If they're just puttering around at low speeds, though, maybe they'll never wear the tight cycling garb because at low speeds the advantages are far less significant.
I can still pass most MAMIL's while wearing regular clothes on my hybrid. Granted, at 39 I'm not yet middle aged by most standards, so there's that advantage.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 06-05-20, 06:02 AM
Lilly18

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great video! I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing, it was suitable as I'm a beginner
Likes For Lilly18:
Old 06-05-20, 07:30 AM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I've been to a couple of bike shops recently. Both just cleaned out of bikes and lines of people ready to buy them. It's really kinda awesome. His advice, to everyone, is spot on.

Ride on!
Old 06-05-20, 01:14 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
"Don't screw this up!"

i about busted out laughing when i heard that. the facial expression, the way he said it, funny stuff. i do agree with it too.

-scott
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-05-20, 04:45 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
The part that goes “the female cyclists don’t need a push” might seem like it doesn’t need to be said...

but I saw this happen to a BRAND new female cyclist right before my eyes. I was so shocked, and I had no clue what to do. He sped away before we could say anything.

It should be obvious to everyone that none of these guys actually think these women need a push. We were hustling at like 20mph on a flat. It’s so gross. And sad.
Old 06-05-20, 05:37 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I understand the sentiment. But...he's more negative about "veteran" cyclists than anything I've experienced in my 40 yrs. of cycling. The people I've known have never been "dicks" and the LBSs around here have always been helpful. My experience is just not his. And, I hate to see us cast in a negative light.
Old 06-05-20, 10:23 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Spealized Diverge Comp Carbon and Im rocking jogging shoes with flat pedals lol. Not ready for clipless yet. Only had one person call me a newb.
Likes For LSUFANDAN:
Old 06-05-20, 10:52 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Wish I had saw this video 5 months ago. But then I'd be like, "who the hell is this guy!?!"
Old 06-06-20, 09:15 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I appreciate what he's trying to do there, but honestly I found it rather sappy. It's such a snowflake era we're living in now.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-09-20, 03:34 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I liked the video a lot. The only thing I have is that I do like to encourage the use of helmets. I'd either be dead or brain dead without mine.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 06-10-20, 10:58 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
The part that goes “the female cyclists don’t need a push” might seem like it doesn’t need to be said...

but I saw this happen to a BRAND new female cyclist right before my eyes. I was so shocked, and I had no clue what to do. He sped away before we could say anything.

It should be obvious to everyone that none of these guys actually think these women need a push. We were hustling at like 20mph on a flat. It’s so gross. And sad.
Does the dude doing the push think he's doing a favor? Like maybe if I help her out she'll go on a date with me? Because it absolutely will have the opposite.
Likes For CyclingFever:
Old 06-10-20, 11:53 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by bruce19
I understand the sentiment. But...he's more negative about "veteran" cyclists than anything I've experienced in my 40 yrs. of cycling. The people I've known have never been "dicks" and the LBSs around here have always been helpful. My experience is just not his. And, I hate to see us cast in a negative light.
The issue is that for us experienced cyclists, if someone says something like “your fit is totally off” or “wear your helmet right” or “you need to get yourself a real bike”, we’re confident enough in ourselves to brush that person off with a laugh.

For a new cyclist, they may see that person as an authority figure and take it to heart. Even minor things.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-10-20, 11:55 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Does the dude doing the push think he's doing a favor? Like maybe if I help her out she'll go on a date with me? Because it absolutely will have the opposite.
The guy was like 50+ and the girl was like 18. So... I sure hope not.

I was lowkey shaking. Wanted to chase him down and report him. But it’s so hard to be confrontational in the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.