Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Traveler? 80's maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 03:16 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Schwinn Traveler? 80's maybe?

Just picked this up for $30. Don't know much about Schwinn values. Full chrome fork which not sure came with original.

Old 07-21-20, 03:35 PM
natloz

Bikes: Bianchi Alfana, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Sirrus Pro SS Conversion

More photos

Old 07-21-20, 03:36 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
For $30.00 you can't go wrong.

Are you looking to " flip" it ?

Or just clean up and ride ?

It's a basic bike on the lower end of the scale, but a good durable bike.

My friend in high school had one in 1973....he still has it and rides it !!!!!!

Congrats
Old 07-21-20, 03:37 PM
natloz

Originally Posted by bikemike73
For $30.00 you can't go wrong.

Are you looking to " flip" it ?

Or just clean up and ride ?

It's a basic bike on the lower end of the scale, but a good durable bike.

My friend in high school had one in 1973....he still has it and rides it !!!!!!

Congrats
Looking to clean, tune and flip.
Old 07-21-20, 04:11 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
That's a big boy bike. Looks like it's greater than a 60cm frame. Maybe a 62. If it was mine, I'd ditch the drop bars & safety levers & install some nice upright bars on it. New brake levers & grips. Leave the stem shifters alone. Clean, polish, install new bearings & re-lube. Replace the chain & cables. Put a rack on the back. And, sell it for around $225. "As - is" after cleaning & tune up maybe $50. Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 07-21-20, 06:31 PM
natloz

Originally Posted by ramzilla
That's a big boy bike. Looks like it's greater than a 60cm frame. Maybe a 62. If it was mine, I'd ditch the drop bars & safety levers & install some nice upright bars on it. New brake levers & grips. Leave the stem shifters alone. Clean, polish, install new bearings & re-lube. Replace the chain & cables. Put a rack on the back. And, sell it for around $225. "As - is" after cleaning & tune up maybe $50. Be good. Have fun.
25" frame
Old 07-22-20, 09:55 AM
bikemike73 

The spokes have rust on them. Not sure if it's surface rust or worse.

If you do all ramzilla suggests, (would be what I would do)..... if I was keeping it... or if it was a high end bike

I do not see much of a profit , but it depends on the area and supply and demand

The decals are in poor condition.

To be honest..I would be " shocked" if you got anywhere close to 225.00

A bike in that condition and quality , at best, even after tuned and ready to ride would be 150.00 on the high end.
Not trying to discourage you, it is great that you saved a bike, but to me it looks like an awful lot of work( but enjoyable) and you get experience to make maybe 50 - 65.00.

At least in my area. If the paint and decals were better you might be able to get 165.00 after cleaned and tuned up.

Good Luck and please do not take my comments as negative. I am just being honest and wish you the best of luck!!!

Please keep us posted and share a pic of the end result.!!!

Stay/be safe !!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 07-22-20, 10:02 AM
natloz

The spokes have rust on them. Not sure if it's surface rust or worse.

If you do all ramzilla suggests, (would be what I would do)..... if I was keeping it... or if it was a high end bike

I do not see much of a profit , but it depends on the area and supply and demand

The decals are in poor condition.

To be honest..I would be " shocked" if you got anywhere close to 225.00

A bike in that condition and quality , at best, even after tuned and ready to ride would be 150.00 on the high end.
Not trying to discourage you, it is great that you saved a bike, but to me it looks like an awful lot of work( but enjoyable) and you get experience to make maybe 50 - 65.00.

At least in my area. If the paint and decals were better you might be able to get 165.00 after cleaned and tuned up.

Good Luck and please do not take my comments as negative. I am just being honest and wish you the best of luck!!!

Please keep us posted and share a pic of the end result.!!!

Stay/be safe !!!
Thanks for contributing, I will post once it is cleaned up and will see what we can get for it. There is very little rust overall so it is all about polish and degreasing. It is missing one spoke so will have to sort that one out...to determine spoke length required should be interesting.
Old 07-23-20, 08:18 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
See those digits stamped into the head badge? Looks like the last digit is obscured from the camera view by the brake cable? What's that digit? That will tell you the year. Well, it'll probably be the next year's model, because it was built mid-December (day 346).

Oh - the G1280 on the dropout suggests Giant-made, Dec 1980, making this a 1981 bike, which matches the markings. Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (11 of 456) . Second up from entry level of what Schwinn called "xtra-light" 10-speeds. With a LOT of cleaning / tune-up, fresh tires and brake pads, it might fetch $150 in this crazy new market, but the focus today is on "ready to ride".

To match the broken spoke, remove another spoke from the same side of the hub and bring it in to match.
Old 07-23-20, 08:57 AM
natloz

Originally Posted by madpogue
See those digits stamped into the head badge? Looks like the last digit is obscured from the camera view by the brake cable? What's that digit? That will tell you the year. Well, it'll probably be the next year's model, because it was built mid-December (day 346).

Oh - the G1280 on the dropout suggests Giant-made, Dec 1980, making this a 1981 bike, which matches the markings. Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (11 of 456) . Second up from entry level of what Schwinn called "xtra-light" 10-speeds. With a LOT of cleaning / tune-up, fresh tires and brake pads, it might fetch $150 in this crazy new market, but the focus today is on "ready to ride".

To match the broken spoke, remove another spoke from the same side of the hub and bring it in to match.
The last digit is a ZERO. Thanks for the information, that is great.
Old 07-23-20, 09:12 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
natloz , in addition to the above suggestion, replace the brake pads with KOOL-STOP "Continentals"

Old 07-23-20, 09:18 AM
natloz

Originally Posted by branko_76
natloz , in addition to the above suggestion, replace the brake pads with KOOL-STOP "Continentals"

I love Kool Stops, but for a flip if the current ones stop the wheels I find the $30 price tag really erodes the profits. If it were my personal ride I would do it in a heartbeat!
Old 07-23-20, 09:27 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by natloz
I love Kool Stops, but for a flip if the current ones stop the wheels I find the $30 price tag really erodes the profits. If it were my personal ride I would do it in a heartbeat!
Is buying and selling bicycles your full-time job?
Old 07-23-20, 09:38 AM
natloz

Originally Posted by branko_76
Is buying and selling bicycles your full-time job?
Not at all, but I do it for personal enjoyment and love searching for a great deal that can be turned into cash so I can purchase tools and more bikes. I am however learning how to re-use as much as I can without compromising safety but also maximizing my return.
In the last month, this has brought me enough cash to purchase the following:

1) Park tool home mechanic stand
2) Park tool home mechanic truing stand
3) Good quality pedal wrench
4) Good quality crank puller
5) Chain whip
6) Couple bottom bracket removal tools
7) Vintage toolbox to hold the goods
8) Couple of cone wrenches by Park tool
9) Park tool grease gun
10) Upgraded my son's bike from a Nakamura to a better quality Raleigh for free
11) Added a restored (by me) vintage Jetter ten speed to my personal collection for free
12) And enough money to keep looking for deals and keeping stock of parts such as: gear/brake cables and housing, crimp on nipples, bike grips, spare saddles, tire tubes

I have a full time job that keeps me busy the rest of the week! I often work on this at night and weekends when I have time.
In this market, most bikes I post for sale are gone within 48 hours.

Last edited by natloz; 07-23-20 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For natloz:
Old 07-23-20, 11:24 AM
madpogue 

While you're building your Park tool collection, consider an SBC-1 ruler/gauge, which includes a handy gauge for measuring spoke length.
Old 07-23-20, 11:34 AM
natloz

While you're building your Park tool collection, consider an SBC-1 ruler/gauge, which includes a handy gauge for measuring spoke length.
Actually I forgot I have that on order. I stripped a crank cotter pin and when I went to my local bike recycler, they pulled out that handy ruler to determine it was a 9.5mm, so when I got home I ordered one from Amazon. Not all that expensive but also has bearing gauges, and as you stated spoke ruler. Thanks for the tip, for anyone else reading this.
Old 07-23-20, 11:42 AM
natloz

On this one I decided minimal. Cleaned up frame with windex and WD-40. Adjusted derailleurs, removed nasty bar tape and left bare, and listed with missing spokes noted and as-is. Got someone coming today for $100 which is $70 profit with minimal effort. This is a win for me! Here is the cleaned up bike.

Likes For natloz:
Old 07-23-20, 12:03 PM
madpogue 

Now THAT is quick turnaround!

You are going to reccommend new brake pads, right? They look original.
Old 07-23-20, 12:05 PM
natloz

Now THAT is quick turnaround!

You are going to reccommend new brake pads, right? They look original.
I will see what type of person they are, they may want to take it to the next level and flip it again lol...the double-flip.
Old 07-23-20, 02:17 PM
bikemike73 

I would just put a zip tie on the cable and connect to the handlebars.

I would leave the brakes as is...IF when you ride it....they work
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 07-23-20, 04:10 PM
natloz

I would just put a zip tie on the cable and connect to the handlebars.

I would leave the brakes as is...IF when you ride it....they work
i won't spend money when i don't have to, but won't hide the flaws either
Old 07-23-20, 05:11 PM
madpogue 

It would take apr. 1 minute 23 seconds, and cost zero, to slide the caliper off the end of the handlebar and back on with the cable routed properly.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-23-20, 05:35 PM
branko_76 

It would take apr. 1 minute 23 seconds, and cost zero, to slide the caliper off the end of the handlebar and back on with the cable routed properly.
Every bike I have sold or given away to family and friends has had complete mechanical restorations. What I've come to realize over the years is that there are very few people who actually know how to do basic maintainance and repairs so I kind of feel obligated to pass along a bike that is mechanically sound.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-24-20, 03:07 PM
natloz

It sold last night for $100 as-is. They are looked it over and we're happy to pay that amount. I made $70
Old 07-24-20, 03:27 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by natloz
Just picked this up for $30. Don't know much about Schwinn values. Full chrome fork which not sure came with original.

Congratulations for the quick turnaround. Just a follow-up to your saying that you're not sure that chrome fork is original: it's almost certainly a replacement fork, the original having been damaged in a front-end impact.

The clues: the head tube angle is steeper than would have been the case out of the factory. Also, there's a horizontal line of rust on the down tube immediately below the head tube lug: a sure sign that the tube bent upward in the collision, cracking the paint there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.