Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seatpost suspension

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Seatpost suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 06:11 AM
Bpor3248

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seatpost suspension

Just started riding my 82 Fuji America after refurbishing it. I was riding a hybrid before that. The road bike is not as forgiving as the hybrid on bumps in the road. Anyone have any experience with one of these? Or are they just a gimmick?

Old 08-09-20, 08:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Will flex up and down but I bet by design side to side!
Old 08-09-20, 08:51 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ed-me-otb.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...le-spring.html
Old 08-09-20, 09:09 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
My take... I have a suspension post on my hybrid, used it, liked it and had no problems. I tried one on my gravel bike (not the style you are looking at). Hated it. No matter how I adjusted it, it would bounce on flat road with any type or decent power being put down. This was very undesirable. I had it cranked to maximum pressure and mimimal movement but the down side was now it was so hard it was useless for its intended purpose. After one ride of 40 miles my knees were hurting and I took it off. The knees could have been a height issue but I went through great length to make sure the overall height was the same as my previous setup. Either way, wasn't worth my time messing with it. My son put it on his road bike and loves it but he putts around slow speed cruising similar to what a lot of people do on a hybrid. I guess it depends on you and what you are doing on the bike.

Last edited by u235; 08-09-20 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 10:08 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Wow!!
Just wow.

If I were the OP, I'd go with softer, wider tires. Gravelking slick if you have 700c, Pasela if you have 27", and the biggest you can fit in your frame.

I was messing with sprung saddles a while back, and my observation was that as the saddle springs compressed, the saddle tilted nose-up. This encourages the rider to slide rearward, compressing the springs even more. Conversely, as the rider slides forward, the springs decompress, tilting the saddle nose-down and causing the rider to slip forward even further. This thing seems like it would do the same thing, but maybe even worse.