Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Park BT-2 Fourth-Hand Tool Feels like Junk!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 12:26 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

While doing a roadside service favor for a friend, I lost the BT-2 I had bought in 1998 for about $30 and had to replace it with this $50 one. I chose another Park because all I hear is how the "Made In USA Quality" is well worth the premium price. I can't believe how cheap and flimsy this thing feels, and I can't imagine how poorly made the ones that are twenty and thirty dollars cheaper must be.
Old 08-20-20, 12:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Are you sure it's not some fake Park Tool? You can contact Park to check if it's the real deal and if it is let them know you're not happy. I've never had one of these in my hands so can't say if anything has changed with them but from the photos of the current tool it looks pretty solid. Just askin'.
Old 08-20-20, 12:56 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Are you sure it's not some fake Park Tool? You can contact Park to check if it's the real deal and if it is let them know you're not happy. I've never had one of these in my hands so can't say if anything has changed with them but from the photos of the current tool it looks pretty solid. Just askin'.
I just called Park and, surprisingly, they didn't seem surprised nor apologetic about my concerns. I think I will try to return this item, as it's definitely not a fifty dollar tool.
Old 08-20-20, 01:03 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I think I will try to return this item, as it's definitely not a fifty dollar tool.
What will you replace it with?
Old 08-20-20, 01:27 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I was unimpressed with the park tool. I had the opportunity to use the Hozan 4th hand, and that is now what is in my toolbox. I gave the Park BT-2 away.
Old 08-20-20, 03:39 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
While doing a roadside service favor for a friend, I lost the BT-2 I had bought in 1998 for about $30 and had to replace it with this $50 one. I chose another Park because all I hear is how the "Made In USA Quality" is well worth the premium price. I can't believe how cheap and flimsy this thing feels, and I can't imagine how poorly made the ones that are twenty and thirty dollars cheaper must be.
Park makes stuff in the USA? Wow. I thought everything was made in Asia. Except Campagnolo.

I have the BT-2, too, and I guess it feels kind of flimsy, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. Suffice to say, it does what it's supposed to do. I mean, I'm just pulling on bike cables with it. I'm not trying to rebuild the Golden Gate Bridge or put cables on telephone poles.
Old 08-20-20, 04:43 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I was unimpressed with the park tool. I had the opportunity to use the Hozan 4th hand, and that is now what is in my toolbox. I gave the Park BT-2 away.
The Park BT-2 is on its way back and the Hozan is what I chose to replace it with. It doesn't have the locking feature, but that appears to be the weakest link on the Park version, anyway. The Hozan looks more like the original Park Fourth-Hand tool that I lost and need to replace. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 08-20-20, 05:31 PM
aggiegrads

The Park BT-2 is on its way back and the Hozan is what I chose to replace it with. It doesn't have the locking feature, but that appears to be the weakest link on the Park version, anyway. The Hozan looks more like the original Park Fourth-Hand tool that I lost and need to replace. I will let you know how it works out.
Agree. The Hozan is more of a "third hand" tool. But losing the locking feature has not been that big of a problem. If it was, I would have tried to find a Unior. The locking mechanism seems less fiddly.
Old 08-20-20, 05:48 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
My Icetoolz 4th hand works just fine, at about 1/3 of the cost of the Park.
Old 08-20-20, 06:18 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
My Icetoolz 4th hand works just fine, at about 1/3 of the cost of the Park.
I'm sure there are many that work just fine. In fact, from the pics online, my guess is that half of them are exactly the same, made in the same factory by the same slave labor. I've chosen the Hozan for now. Feel free to post any additional recommendations, but please don't be offended if I don't comment every time someone suggests another model.
Old 08-20-20, 06:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had two different Park bicycle tools break and when purchased were sold with a lifetime warranty. Park would not replace either tool. I no longer by Park if possible.

Cheers
Old 08-20-20, 07:07 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I have a Pedro and it is pretty good.
Old 08-20-20, 08:49 PM
aggiegrads

I'm sure there are many that work just fine. In fact, from the pics online, my guess is that half of them are exactly the same, made in the same factory by the same slave labor. I've chosen the Hozan for now. Feel free to post any additional recommendations, but please don't be offended if I don't comment every time someone suggests another model.
I am a complete tool nerd and generally assume that everyone knows what is available from Park, Pedros, Icetoolz and Birzman. I usually don’t chime in unless I know of something that is superior to the other offerings. I will seek out Hozan, Stein, Var, Unior or Cyclus options if they make what appears to be superior than what is commonly available. I have and have used “boutique” brands like EVT and Abbey, but don’t recommend them unless someone specifically asks for a premium tool.

I also seek out the best “general” tools from brands like Felco, Knipex, Wera, Wiha, PB Swiss, etc. Life is too short to use crummy tools, and I am lucky to have the means to buy good tools. Happy wrenching.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 08-20-20, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Hozan makes great tools. I love Park, but not for all things. I look for the best tools in the bunch rather than just stick with one manufacturer. I will say I love their Big Blue Box but I am a sucker for anything with gas assisted struts but it is a fantastic box beyond that and have a few other tools from them that are great. Their derailleur screwdrivers are so nice and they make some other stuff that is great but also a good deal of decent but not great tools.
Old 09-02-20, 06:20 PM
Papa Tom

Follow-Up From The OP: I received the Hozan C-358 Fourth-Hand Tool today and it feels just like my original Park cable puller. I am grateful to know that, even though Park's current version feels cheap and poorly-made, there are still some quality tools out there to be had from other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the input.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 09-02-20, 09:20 PM
aggiegrads

Follow-Up From The OP: I received the Hozan C-358 Fourth-Hand Tool today and it feels just like my original Park cable puller. I am grateful to know that, even though Park's current version feels cheap and poorly-made, there are still some quality tools out there to be had from other manufacturers.

Thanks for all the input.
Thanks for the update. I really appreciate people following up so those folks giving advice have a clue if their guidance was valuable.
Likes For aggiegrads: