Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

198? Expedition - what to do about the ding?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 02:24 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts

So this fell into my lap today, in exchange for a few Jacksons (after a CL posting with 3 blurry NDS pics, labeled as "Trek Expedition"). Not sure on the year, but definitely from the period I've been hunting. 62 c-t-c means it's a VERY french fit for me, esp on fatter tires, but I'm still determined to make it work even if I have to sing in higher notes.

Largely fine shape - not very original but a chainstay generator that's still working and there's just some light scuffing along top tube. But then... the ding. it's not worrying me structurally (should it?) but it's super visible on a bike I've lusted after for many moons, so part of me wants to make this a winter frame refurb project.

Roll it out, filler, and local, blended spray? Or roll it out, filler and totally re-do the frame? Redo is tempting - much as I admire the "mechanical ruthlessness" of the classic Expedition battleship grey, I would be heppy with something a little more colourful.

Or just temper the rust, learn to love the ding, and get back in the saddle?

Last edited by niliraga; 10-30-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 02:27 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Roll it out, filler, then add a top-tube panel! Or a bumper sticker?

A few jacksons is a great price for what you got. I'd not be afraid of that dent and I think you did well. You know you can get frame blocks from Paragon Machine Works, right? Cheaper than making them yourself, even if you have access to a shop I reckon. Look up a youtube tutorial on it. Take it slow. It'll go fine.

Last edited by scarlson; 09-01-20 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 02:54 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Definitely address that ding. It's not as simple as "rolling it out" because it's going to fight you. But, it can be done.

This applies to me only, but I have mastered the art of walking away. When I check out a bike, I go full Mr. Spock. I tune out the seller's stories, break out the straight-edge and check everything. Any ding that requires more than a dab of filler is an automatic "thank you for your time."

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 09-01-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 03:17 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

I hear ya. I wish I were that disciplined, but when it's the first complete 1983 Expedition to come my way in anything like my size, for the same coin as a bent Free Spirit 10-speed with rusty U-lock, my discipline goes out the window. I'm taking the ding. Now I just have to adjust my mindset around it.

Satisfyingly, the ding was fully disclosed in the CL post, and seller was super affable about it all - there were no stories or sales pressure. I wasn't pushed, I jumped.

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Definitely address that ding. It's not as simple as "rolling it out" because it's going to fight you. But, it can be done.

This applies to me only, but I have mastered the art of walking away. When I check out a bike, I go full Mr. Spock. I tune out the seller's stories, break out the straight-edge and check everything. Any ding that requires more than a dab of filler is an automatic "thank you for your time."
Old 09-01-20, 03:23 PM
niliraga 

thanks for the encouraging words - what's your take on leaving it as is, at least for a season or three? I'm a little concerned on location since the top tube shoulders compressive loads rather than tensile, but... well, i don't know the buts.

Originally Posted by scarlson
Roll it out, filler, then add a top-tube panel! Or a bumper sticker?

A few jacksons is a great price for what you got. I'd not be afraid of that dent and I think you did well. You know you can get frame blocks from Paragon Machine Works, right? Cheaper than making them yourself, even if you have access to a shop I reckon. Look up a youtube tutorial on it. Take it slow. It'll go fine.
Old 09-01-20, 03:26 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I would have bought this bike at the price you paid for it and figured out how to deal with the problem later as well. That NY apartment is getting crowded with bikes . . . time to sell that Rudge!
Old 09-01-20, 03:28 PM
niliraga 

right? although don't forget that in my strange bubble they call New York City, a bent Free Spirit and rusty U-lock goes for a fortune. this was not the $60 goodwill find of our collective fantasy.

Seller didnt have change, so he kept the $10 to buy some megamillions tickets. sent me a photo afterwards, says that if he wins, I get my money back.

Originally Posted by bikemig
I would have bought this bike at the price you paid for it and figured out how to deal with the problem later as well. That NY apartment is getting crowded with bikes . . . time to sell that Rudge!

Last edited by niliraga; 10-30-20 at 11:54 AM.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 09-01-20, 03:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
I guess I'll have to be that guy that says that looks a little too french...

Other than that, a ding on the top tube is purely cosmetic. It's ugly, I'd roll and fill it, touch it up, repaint, or put a sticker on it.
Old 09-01-20, 03:33 PM
niliraga 

Originally Posted by bikemig
...indeed! if only that Rudge came for 150, he'd be long gone by now. I think emotions got the better of me during that particular transaction. it was hot, I was dehydrated, judgment was poor.
Old 09-01-20, 03:35 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
...indeed! if only that Rudge came for 150, he'd be long gone by now. I think emotions got the better of me during that particular transaction. it was hot, I was dehydrated, judgment was poor.
Hah, yeah I would have had a hard time turning that Rudge down if it had showed up locally. I picked up my 1960 Olmo Gran sport because it was local and the price wasn't crazy a few years ago. I keep thinking I'd like to own something from the 50s and British one of these days . . . .
Old 09-01-20, 03:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
thanks for the encouraging words - what's your take on leaving it as is, at least for a season or three? I'm a little concerned on location since the top tube shoulders compressive loads rather than tensile, but... well, i don't know the buts.
+1 to gugie's assessment. It is cosmetic, but I don't think it'll lead anywhere. I'd commute on it, "French-fit" or no!

And with the dent rolled-out, it's as good as any $500 new frame from Surly. You did very well.
Old 09-01-20, 03:36 PM
niliraga 

saddle is as found, already 2-3" higher. yeah, this sticker-over-primer idea is working for me, maybe less hassle than a paint panel.

Originally Posted by gugie
I guess I'll have to be that guy that says that looks a little too french...

Other than that, a ding on the top tube is purely cosmetic. It's ugly, I'd roll and fill it, touch it up, repaint, or put a sticker on it.
Old 09-01-20, 03:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
saddle is as found, already 2-3" higher. yeah, this sticker-over-primer idea is working for me, maybe less hassle than a paint panel.
Important things here are to protect any unprotected metal and to get out there testing out the bike's general vibe. For just $160 it should be a low-pressure and fun experience, just don't let it get stolen though if reasonably possible. Also to the plus side, the dent and primer will somewhat discourage thieves, so the dent is good! My own 1984 Trek 520 came with a similar dent, the toptube appearing very slightly bent even, but the bike rides fine as an on-and-off-used commuter over the past twenty three years! I paid $23 for it at a silicon valley garage sale and added RSX STI levers, 7s freewheel wheelset and double chainrings for training and commuting purposes. I wouldn't worry at all about the structure if the metal is kept protected from rust.

One more thing, I think it will be worthwhile to remove the shift lever body and to oil the Symmetric mechanism inside of the alloy "box" mount. Don't take things apart (other than the lever's friction washers), the oil will go in on it's own.

Last edited by dddd; 09-01-20 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 04:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Sounds like a fist-full, which is proper French.
Old 09-01-20, 08:07 PM
niliraga 

I don't plan on locking this around town to tempt any lowlifes, and I have less handsome steeds for that duty.

I figured for the money involved here I can't go far wrong, even if the extra 1-2cm above my "upper limit" sizing kills the buzz in the end. There's been one ill-fitting (so much reach! too much reach!) quick ride around the block so far, and it already felt exciting...

+1 on refreshment for the Symmetric internals. I do love me some autotrim, although the only other set I've worked with would loosen themselves reliably - like too loose to hold gears, maybe 20-40 shifts after previous tightening, and so I would ride with the right hex key handy. (Occurs to me now that I never unpacked the levers - carefully - to check that someone hadnt assembled all the friction bits in the wrong order)

Originally Posted by dddd
Important things here are to protect any unprotected metal and to get out there testing out the bike's general vibe. For just $160 it should be a low-pressure and fun experience, just don't let it get stolen though if reasonably possible. Also to the plus side, the dent and primer will somewhat discourage thieves, so the dent is good! My own 1984 Trek 520 came with a similar dent, the toptube appearing very slightly bent even, but the bike rides fine as an on-and-off-used commuter over the past twenty three years! I paid $23 for it at a silicon valley garage sale and added RSX STI levers, 7s freewheel wheelset and double chainrings for training and commuting purposes. I wouldn't worry at all about the structure if the metal is kept protected from rust.

One more thing, I think it will be worthwhile to remove the shift lever body and to oil the Symmetric mechanism inside of the alloy "box" mount. Don't take things apart (other than the lever's friction washers), the oil will go in on it's own.
Old 09-02-20, 06:29 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I have a bike I really liked that *I* dented the top tube... it's much much less of a dent than that- and I've pretty much retired the frame. And that's for a bike that fits me and that I really liked.

IMO- Bikes come around.

Just because it's whatever bike you think is the grail- it doesn't fit you, you have no history with it and it has a great big, big nasty, big gnarly, big dent in it. If you really want to hang on to it- remediate the rust and bare metal. Don't spend time or money on it- it doesn't fit. An Expedition in your size will come around. With better parts on it. And a better platform for whatever you want to do on it.

Expeditions are out there- seriously, I could not find a Trek 720 for years, and now I see them in my size every couple weeks. No ****.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-06-20, 07:50 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
I say RIDE IT!!

I'm fortunate to ride an '84 Expedition (virtually identical to yours). I say RIDE IT... carefully... feel it... listen to it on the road. If it gives you the kind of thrill I believe it will, then just smile, knowing you're riding one of the classic touring bikes for very little money. FORGET THE DING... there's VERY LITTLE chance of catastrophic failure. It will either feel off when you ride it, or (as I predict) it will feel heavenly.. TRUST ME on this. Better yet, trust yourself. You'll feel it or you won't And BTW, in case you don't, I've got a stack of Jacksons and will happily take it off your hands 😄... Good luck and congratulations, you're riding a bike worth riding!! Peace, BB