Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Soma Clarence bars on MTB & dual purpose tire?....

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 07:49 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts

Seems I'm riding more pavement-less off-road these days. Thinking of changing some of the components on the MTB to make it more pavement friendly, while still suitable for taking off-road for some hard pack, with some rocky sections, singletrack. Has anyone tried Soma Clarence bars on their MTB, and any recommendations for dual purpose tires?
Old 09-07-20, 08:07 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have used those bars. You may want a little longer stem, unless you are trying to shorten the reach. You may be better off with a set of bar ends so you can stretch out some on the pavement.

I like Hookworm tires for dual purpose. I leave it on the rear of my Fargo all the time and just run a knobby in the front since our trails tend to be loose or sandy over hardpack.
Old 09-07-20, 08:43 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Has anyone tried Soma Clarence bars on their MTB?
I've used the FSA Metropolis, which is nearly identical to the Soma Clarence. Slight difference in degrees of sweep, otherwise similar rise and pull-back. Works well. Appropriate stem with sufficient rise and length, and you should notice a nice change.

Have a set of the ReneHerse Rat Trap Pass 26x2.3" tires, though I haven't yet mounted them up. Can't comment on them, as yet, but by all accounts they ought to do nicely on the lighter packed-trail and pavement surfaces I contend with.