Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Please help me understand gravel riding?

Old 09-16-20, 09:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Another reason I have a gravel bike: The county, in their infinite "wisdom," decided to chip seal one of the paved roads on my regular road biking route recently. Just discovered that this morning, they must have started yesterday. For those who have never ridden a road bike on fresh chip seal, don't. It's rough for a skinny tire bike, and pretty hairy riding it early in the morning with just a small headlight to navigate by. Trying to do it fast in the dark is suicidal. My gravel bike ought to be able to handle it OK, though. From my past experience, it will take about 6 months to a year before this fresh chip seal has compacted down enough to make rough pavement.
Old 09-16-20, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Another reason I have a gravel bike: The county, in their infinite "wisdom," decided to chip seal one of the paved roads on my regular road biking route recently. Just discovered that this morning, they must have started yesterday. For those who have never ridden a road bike on fresh chip seal, don't. It's rough for a skinny tire bike, and pretty hairy riding it early in the morning with just a small headlight to navigate by. Trying to do it fast in the dark is suicidal. My gravel bike ought to be able to handle it OK, though. From my past experience, it will take about 6 months to a year before this fresh chip seal has compacted down enough to make rough pavement.
I used to get a kick out of reading the comments on the local road riding listserv crying and complaining about the conditions of the roads and the unridable chipseal.

These were the same folks who looked at my like I have a third eye when I suggest they ride tires larger than 28s.

”But my bike does not take anything bigger!”

Well, you got suckered into buying the wrong bike.

That was a few years ago where I used to live. Happens here a little bit, but I think as more folks start switching to larger tires bikes, the complaints are simmering down.
Old 09-16-20, 09:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I understand gravel riding. From the 3rd grade to the 10th grade I had to ride on gravel to school. I have had enough for a life time. I know it is all the rage right now, and if you like it, go for it.
Old 09-16-20, 09:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I used to get a kick out of reading the comments on the local road riding listserv crying and complaining about the conditions of the roads and the unridable chipseal.

These were the same folks who looked at my like I have a third eye when I suggest they ride tires larger than 28s.

”But my bike does not take anything bigger!”

Well, you got suckered into buying the wrong bike.

That was a few years ago where I used to live. Happens here a little bit, but I think as more folks start switching to larger tires bikes, the complaints are simmering down.
Yeah, I've been planning on doing some gravel rides in that direction, so I think that's going to be on the agenda for me. I usually go that direction and ride up to a few small towns & back, making about a 40 mile ride out of it. I wanted to do that in the near future to try out my road bike, but I guess that's going to have to be on the back burner for now in favor of gravel riding. My gravel bike will handle the chip seal with ease.

The thing that irritates me about the chip seal is that I normally ride about a mile of that road as part of my daily morning exercise ride on my road bike, so I'm going to have to do something different.
Old 09-16-20, 09:37 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rydabent
I understand gravel riding. From the 3rd grade to the 10th grade I had to ride on gravel to school. I have had enough for a life time. I know it is all the rage right now, and if you like it, go for it.
I grew up in a small town with gravel streets. Aside from Main Street and the highway running through town, every street was (and still is) covered with river gravel. When I had a paper route, I rode miles of gravel every day.
Old 09-16-20, 09:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Since my newest gravel bike is also my newest and nicest bike, I ride it in most conditions. Even on a pavement ride, the 43mm tires, at about 38-40 psi, give a nice plush ride - and the whole rig is not noticeably slower than my cf-framed road bike...And even if it were slower, it woundn't matter as I mostly ride solo and am not trying to keep up with anyone.
Old 09-16-20, 10:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, I've been planning on doing some gravel rides in that direction, so I think that's going to be on the agenda for me. I usually go that direction and ride up to a few small towns & back, making about a 40 mile ride out of it. I wanted to do that in the near future to try out my road bike, but I guess that's going to have to be on the back burner for now in favor of gravel riding. My gravel bike will handle the chip seal with ease.

The thing that irritates me about the chip seal is that I normally ride about a mile of that road as part of my daily morning exercise ride on my road bike, so I'm going to have to do something different.
Something different like.... taking your gravel bike?
Old 09-16-20, 10:49 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Something different like.... taking your gravel bike?
No, on my morning rides, I ride 10 miles on my road bike. Since they chip sealed a 1 mile stretch of that (which I ride three times making three laps around town), I'm going to have to take an alternate route. I will take my gravel bike out on weekends when I want to do longer rides. Riding 10 miles in this small town means a lot of back & forth on the same streets and therefore lots of route boredom.
Old 09-16-20, 01:47 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Since this thread is already out of hand.. My observations.
There are a lot of people that want the absolute fastest most efficient bike ride possible. Take everything outside of the power plant and make it the best it can be based on their budget. Considering weight, clothes, shaving leg hairs, tires, pressure, not having stuff hanging from the bike and so on. Comfort and exploring are far secondary to speed and efficiency. Even the routes taken use this idea. I've seen many riders riding down the relatively wide side beyond the white line of a 4 lane road instead of taking the MUP right next to the road. I'm not taking about crowded MUPS with dogs on leashes and families near an apartment complex, I'm talking MUPS that there is almost no one on that is 5+ miles long. The MUP is not as consistent as the road edge and therefore takes away the perceived efficiency of ones planned ride. I live in a rural area with a lot of gravel and pavement country roads are are straight and long. On Strava heat maps, the paved ones are bright wide red, the gravel ones might have a thin blue line. There is no way the average person that rode 20 miles to get to the country to enjoy those roads is going to take any of those gravel roads. It is not efficient and fast and if the bike was tuned for ultimate road performance, the gravel would be far less than ideal. In no way are the gravel routes short, slow and relaxed, they can be just as demanding if not more demanding, they just are not as efficient for raw speed. It is a different goal and a different mindset of why you are riding. Neither right or wrong.

Last edited by u235; 09-16-20 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For u235:
Old 09-16-20, 01:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
My 31 year old daughter and I took a ride yesterday. She has 25mm tires on her road bike. It might fit 28mm tires. We turned into a tourist site with a gravel driveway, and she said her bike couldn't handle it, so she walked it. I would be able to ride it on 25mm tires, but clearly not everyone can.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-16-20, 03:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by u235
Since this thread is already out of hand.. My observations.
There are a lot of people that want the absolute fastest most efficient bike ride possible. Take everything outside of the power plant and make it the best it can be based on their budget. Considering weight, clothes, shaving leg hairs, tires, pressure, not having stuff hanging from the bike and so on. Comfort and exploring are far secondary to speed and efficiency. Even the routes taken use this idea. I've seen many riders riding down the relatively wide side beyond the white line of a 4 lane road instead of taking the MUP right next to the road. I'm not taking about crowded MUPS with dogs on leashes and families near an apartment complex, I'm talking MUPS that there is almost no one on that is 5+ miles long. The MUP is not as consistent as the road edge and therefore takes away the perceived efficiency of ones planned ride. I live in a rural area with a lot of gravel and pavement country roads are are straight and long. On Strava heat maps, the paved ones are bright wide red, the gravel ones might have a thin blue line. There is no way the average person that rode 20 miles to get to the country to enjoy those roads is going to take any of those gravel roads. It is not efficient and fast and if the bike was tuned for ultimate road performance, the gravel would be far less than ideal. In no way are the gravel routes short, slow and relaxed, they can be just as demanding if not more demanding, they just are not as efficient for raw speed. It is a different goal and a different mindset of why you are riding. Neither right or wrong.
I think that is a good observation.
Old 09-16-20, 06:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Boy, people are really snippy here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-16-20, 07:46 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Boy, people are really snippy here.
This thread started with "I don't know much but I think gravel riding is stupid. Please explain why it isn't".

It's wasn't open minded or respectful to people who like doing it.

The thread started off on the wrong foot.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-16-20, 07:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I don't fully understand the intricacies of cyclocross bikes and gravel bikes, but I do recognize their awesomeness.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-16-20, 08:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This thread started with "I don't know much but I think gravel riding is stupid. Please explain why it isn't".

Since one person started it with a bad premise we should all pile onto each other to finish it.

Likes For noglider:
Old 09-16-20, 08:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts

Well, I'd be a bit more charitable than THAT. More like "I don't understand what all the excitement is about. Can you tell me what that's about?", which is a reasonable question. And lots of people had reasonable answers, though if we'd led with Indyfabz pictures from yesterday, a lot of us non-gravel riders would say, "Oh, right. Got it."

The rest of it? The wrath and acrimony? Welcome to the internet.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-20, 08:53 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, I'd be a bit more charitable than THAT. More like "I don't understand what all the excitement is about. Can you tell me what that's about?", which is a reasonable question.
He didn't ask the "reasonable question" you talk about. If he had, this thread would not have been so "snippy".

Originally Posted by IGH_Only
I get what gravel bikes are and what their purpose is (I think). And I get that some people live in areas (and driveways) where gravel is used for paving over dirt so they ride on gravel. What I'm confused about is that there appear to be people who ride specifically on gravel for enjoyment??? Is that correct? And if so, why?
Old 09-16-20, 08:55 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by noglider
Since one person started it with a bad premise we should all pile onto each other to finish it.
Maybe not. But be aware that it was started with a "bad premise".

Maybe, people starting with a "bad premise" should have some awareness that it's a bad premise.

In other words, why are you complaining about the consequence but not about the cause?
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-16-20, 09:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

He didn't ask the "reasonable question" you talk about. If he had, this thread would not have been so "snippy".
Are you new here? The most innocent of threads run to dozens of acrimonious responses!

Old 09-16-20, 09:17 PM
njkayaker

Are you new here? The most innocent of threads run to dozens of acrimonious responses!
The OP is new here.

If he had asked the question like you phrased it, this thread would not have been as "acrimonious".

​​​​​​​Either this "newbie" learns that or we get another rydeabent.

In any case, we are talking about this thread. Not others you are thinking about but you aren't showing (and can't see whether they are really "acrimonious" or not).
Old 09-16-20, 09:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The OP is new here.

If he had asked the question like you phrased it, this thread would not have been as "acrimonious".

Either this "newbie" learns that or we get another rydeabent.

In any case, we are talking about this thread. Not others you are thinking about but you aren't showing (and can't see whether they are really "acrimonious" or not).
One is enough. At least.

And regarding acrimony on innocent threads, I direct your attention to this thread, which pokes fun at the phenomenon. I mean, here we are on the verge of becoming acrimonious over whether threads on BF routinely become acrimonious, fer cripes sake!

Old 09-16-20, 09:35 PM
njkayaker

One is enough. At least.
It's the same sort of arrogant, ignorant trolling. If it's not intentional, the OP is not going to have a good time if he continues it.

And regarding acrimony on innocent threads, I direct your attention to this thread, which pokes fun at the phenomenon. I mean, here we are on the verge of becoming acrimonious over whether threads on BF routinely become acrimonious, fer cripes sake!
Not saying it doesn't happen. But no one can comment on the vague threads you are thinking about.

And a satire thread doesn't establish that it is "routine" (you'd need much more than that one satire thread to establish that).

The OP could have (likely) reduced possiblity of the "acrimonious" outcome if he phrased the question differently.
​​​​
In other words, why are you complaining about the consequence but not about the cause?

​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-16-20 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 09:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This grows tiresome.

Old 09-16-20, 10:04 PM
njkayaker

This grows tiresome.
Yet you continue.
Old 09-17-20, 04:01 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
This thread has been circling the bowl for a while.

/closed

Likes For cb400bill:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.