Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Right crank arm replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 06:46 PM
Bashbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I damaged the thread in the right crank arm and need to replace it. About my bike:

Front shifting:
  • Derailleur: Sora FD-3403 Tripple for 9 speed
  • Shifter: Sora ST-3400 Triple for 9 speed
  • Crankset: no-name triple ring 52/42/30T, 175mm

Rear shifting:
  • Derailleur: Tiagra RD-4500GS for 9 speed
  • Cassette: 9 speed, 12-25T

It is not clear to me how to find a right crank arm on Amazon or Ebay. What needs to match? The length 175mm, yes. What about the precise number of teeth 52/42/30? What about the front speed (triple)? What about the rear speed (9-speed)? What else?
Old 07-12-20, 07:24 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bashbike
Hi all,

I damaged the thread in the right crank arm and need to replace it. About my bike:

Front shifting:
  • Derailleur: Sora FD-3403 Tripple for 9 speed
  • Crankset: no-name triple ring 52/42/30T, 175mm

Rear shifting:
  • Derailleur: Tiagra RD-4500GS for 9 speed
  • Cassette: 9 speed, 12-25T

It is not clear to me how to find a right crank arm on Amazon or Ebay. What needs to match? The length 175mm, yes. What about the precise number of teeth 52/42/30? What about the front speed (triple)? What about the rear speed (9-speed)? What else?
The features you must match:
1) bottom bracket design. The bottom bracket could be a square taper, or a splined interface.
2) crank arm must accommodate 3 chainrings.
3) if the cranks do not come with chainrings and you want to use your old chainrings, then the bolt pattern of the chainrings and crankarm mount locations must be the same. This is specified by the BCD (bolt center diameter) of the mounting bolts and number of mounting bolts. For example, a 110 mm / 4 bolt pattern means there are 4 bolt locations and those locations will lie on a 110 mm circle drawn around the center of the crank arm spindle.
4) crank arm length, but you mentioned that in the original post.

The features that are nice to match:
A) if you buy the crank arm with chainrinngs provided, match the number of teeth 52/42/30 as in your original set up. This way, you won't have to adjust your chain length. But the number of teeth is more personal preference and need not necessarily match. If you get one with less than 52T as your big ring, you might have to shorten your chain
B) Finish, purely aesthetics but crankarms of different color or finish (black/silver/gray...matte/shiny....) Some find this detail important, others could care less.
Old 07-12-20, 07:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you are referring to the pedal threads, they can be repaired by tapping to a larger size and insertion of a Heli-Coil (or other type) insert. The resulting threading will be stronger than the original.
Old 07-12-20, 08:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
And... if the damage isn't too severe, you might be able to use the crank anyway. If only the first few threads are distorted, preventing the pedal from threading in, try threading the pedal in from the back side of the crank to clear the way for the pedal to screw in normally. If the pedal's threads aren't long enough to reach the damaged area, you can have a shop use a tap to chase the threads. Of course, if the damage is bad enough, you can take dsbrantjr's advice and have a helicoil installed.
It probably doesn't hurt to add that any time a steel fastener is being threaded into a softer metal such as aluminum, the fastener should be threaded in *by hand* as far as possible before applying a wrench.
Old 07-13-20, 09:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In general if you need a right crank arm the cost may be less for whole crankset . or very close.