Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Bolt Sync Issue

Old 08-26-20, 05:50 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Wahoo Bolt Sync Issue

First off, yes, I have reached out to Wahoo. That was the first step.

Lately some rides won't sync with the app on the iPhone. The ride appears, but the usual route graphic is a gray box and the sync never completes. As a result it never uploads to Strava, or anywhere else. Has anyone else seen this issue? I'm just wondering if it's just me or if this is more widespread.
Old 08-26-20, 07:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Is the Wahoo connecting to the phone? Like, your Bolt is showing up inside the Companion App? I've had to do the whole "forget device" procedure and resync the Bolt to the phone twice this year (which isn't that bad, IMO) and that has cleared up any connection-related issues for me.

I mean, the App still refuses to export activities to other apps automatically, so I have to do it manually-- on the upload screen from the activity, it always says "an error has occurred - retry" on every app that isn't Apple Health. They seem to be working on it, as I feel like I've done 3 firmware updates this month alone.
Old 08-27-20, 05:37 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
This is an issue that has been known to Wahoo. Looking at the Wahoo Elemnt User's Group on Google, it apparently has been corrected. There were three to four daily complaints about this issue. Since the release of the last firmware and companion app there have been no more posting. I was also having that issue but have not noticed it since the upgrading to the latest firmware and companion app. Other than unpairing and repairing your Bolt and phone, I have not had the issue with the gray box in the route window and have no suggestion on how to correct it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-27-20, 08:33 AM
dmanthree

Just saw an update today; I'll give it a shot.

...fingers crossed...
Old 08-27-20, 08:59 AM
dmanthree

Updated the app and repaired the unit. Seems to have worked.

Thanks!
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 08-27-20, 10:56 AM
dmanthree

FWIW, Wahoo responded quickly and here's their advice, for those who have this issue:

Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your ELEMNT computer. We are aware that a number of users are experiencing connectivity issues on iOS after the iOS 13.5.1 update and our development team is actively working on improvements to connection stability. In the interim, please ensure you are on the latest version of iOS (13.6) and the ELEMNT app via the Apple App Store, then follow the steps below to reset the ELEMNT's connection with the phone. Even if you have previously re-paired your device, please complete these steps exactly in order once again as the ordering is critical to resolving the connection stability

Step 1: Forgetting the ELEMNT Companion in the companion app
  • Open the companion app
  • Select settings
  • Scroll to the bottom and select Unpair ELEMNT
Step 2: Forgetting the phone on the ELEMNT Bolt
  • Power on the ELEMNT Bolt
  • Press the power button to bring up the menu
  • Select forget phone
Step 3: Forgetting the ELEMNT in your phone's Bluetooth settings
  • Open the iOS settings app
  • Select Bluetooth
  • Under my devices, find the ELEMNT and select the info button on the right
  • Select forget this device
  • Repeat these steps for any duplicate listings of the device
  • Important: Toggle the Bluetooth switch at the top of the screen off for 10 seconds, then back on
Step 4: Re-pairing the ELEMNT to your phone
  • Quickly press the left-side button on your ELEMNT to display the menu
  • Scroll (with the right-side buttons) to either "PAIR PHONE" or "FORGET PHONE"
  • Your device may reboot, displaying the QR code when it powers back on
  • If the QR code does not immediately display on reboot, return to the settings menu on the ELEMNT and select "PAIR PHONE" - the QR code should now be shown
  • Return to the ELEMNT Companion App on your device, then navigate to the settings menu to add the ELEMNT
  • Make sure that once the QR code is scanned that you allow any requested permissions from the pop up dialog
  • Once this is complete, go to Bluetooth settings once again, select the circled 'i' next to your ELEMNT in the list, and ensure that 'Allow system notifications' is enabled

Should you experience connectivity problems after completing the reset procedure above the entire process generally does not need to be repeated, please attempt the steps below to restore the connection before repeating the process above.
  • Toggle Bluetooth off in iOS settings for 10 seconds, then back on
  • If this does not allow your ELEMNT to connect to the app, restart your phone and ELEMNT