Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek Fuel EX 8 or Santa Cruz Tallboy

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.
View Poll Results: Trek or Santa Cruz?
Fuel EX8
20.00%
Tallboy R spec
80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 09:30 AM
Philly215

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dealer is both a Trek and Santa Cruz dealer so I could get either. Both aluminum frames and priced about the same.

I’m coming from road cycling and racing. Never had a mountain bike but I’m in northwest Arkansas and there’s a ton of mountain biking here. People coming from all over to ride here so figured I should take advantage of it.
Old 08-30-20, 08:42 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Interesting.
Old 08-30-20, 08:43 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
With Santa Cruz you are paying a bit extra to have a Santa Cruz. The Trek's specs are better but mostly in areas that aren't a huge deal. The suspension fork and shock are equal and I assume the wheels are roughly equal, nothing special stock wheels. The Trek's XT drive train and brakes are better than the NX/Guide T but is that enough to trash the Santa Cruz meh, those are wear parts and can be upgraded down the line. It would help if you could demo both bikes but if you can't it just comes down to do you want to impress people with your sweet bike = Santa Cruz or do you want best bang for the buck just looking at the specs but it's boring because everybody has one = Trek.
Old 09-02-20, 08:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can you find either one for sale now ? that, availability, may help you decide ..
Old 09-03-20, 03:02 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Santa Cruz v Fuel8

I suspect either bike is a great choice. Might check out Fezzari bikes too.

In February ‘17 I chose Tallboy R (11 speed ruled back then).

Santa Cruz Tallboy III came tubeless, with a threaded bottom bracket, and free replacement bearings for rear suspension links.

Since then upgraded to Eagle GX, added a dropper Post, and replaced failed headset bearings with Crane Creek Forty.
Old 09-03-20, 10:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
One of them will explode and kill you, but telling you which might be rude to the people that made it. The other one will get you all the girls.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-06-20, 07:19 PM
Philly215

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I actually got a dirty ebike lol. I went to the dealer and I wouldn’t be able to get a Tallboy until December at best.

they had a Trek Rail 7 out that they just built that day and it happened to be my size. I demoed it and thought it was a blast so I bought it. I’ve taken it out to the trails a couple times and love it. I keep it in Eco and the climbs are a blast but I’m still working my butt off.

the weight gives a lot of stability on fast downhills. I’ll put it in turbo and go ride the dirt roads I live on for a workout and do 20mph the whole time.