Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best Places to Live Work Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 05:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts

Been thinking about leaving the County Metro. To many people.

Quite, affordable. I guess Shangri La is not to be found.
Old 09-13-16, 05:28 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

Perhaps you would prefer something more like this?

Old 09-13-16, 05:41 PM
Carson Dyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people don't choose the place where they live based on commuting options. It's certainly a consideration, but things like jobs, family, weather, housing costs, schools, crime and recreation are usually more important.

Commuting is more of a "cross that one off the list" thing. Like taking an hour to drive 10 miles around the DC metro during rush hour, or taking 90 minutes to get to work in New York city.
Old 09-13-16, 05:45 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts

Talk about cryptic... could you be any more inscrutable? Which county? Surely there is no such thing as a best place to live. Shangri La was never a place that could be found by physical exploration.
Old 09-14-16, 07:57 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle
Most people don't choose the place where they live based on commuting options.
that's probably true for most people, but we BF commuting subfourm members aren't "most people" are we?

we used to live downtown because my job was in the northern burbs and my wife's job was deep on the south side. downtown split that difference for us, so that neither of our commutes were obscenely far. but when my wife left her old job for a new work from home job, i lobbied heavily for us to move to the far northside of the city, in part so that i could reduce my 15 mile one-way commute. it certainly wasn't the only consideration that prompted the move (we were about to have our 1st child and wanted a bigger apartment), but it played a significant role in choosing the specific location (along with the fact that my parents lived nearby, which has been HUGE for helping out with the babies).

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-14-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-14-16, 09:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I'm not happy that it takes me 65 or 70 minutes each way, but I'm happy that I have two nice modes of commuting, and neither is with a car. I can ride my bike along the Hudson River Greenway, which has gorgeous views and is low-stress, since it is motor-free. Or I can take the subway and get a chance to do lots of reading.

The commute options were actually a factor in our decision to move from suburban New Jersey back into New York City. The City is actually a good, though far from perfect, place to ride a bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-16, 11:34 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Not too bad, where I live and work here in New York City. Feels like there's a billion people;
but it adds to the character of the city. Lots of places to go to; lots of things one can do.

But if I were to relocate to any place I choose; I'd move to the Netherlands.
Both winters and summers are milder. Plus biking there is heaven.
Old 09-14-16, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
CPH , AMS are often praised.
Old 09-14-16, 12:58 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, where is home?
Old 09-14-16, 03:09 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
But if I were to relocate to any place I choose; I'd move to the Netherlands.
Both winters and summers are milder. Plus biking there is heaven.
Amsterdam is my idea of bike heaven.
Old 09-14-16, 03:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I do want to visit the Netherlands and cycle there. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But that picture makes it look like hell.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-14-16, 03:46 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Leebo
OP, where is home?
Northern, Central Baltimore County. With few exceptions the Wine & Cheese crowd.

I am like the only white guy on a bike I ever see. Very few cyclists. York RD, Padonia RD, Joppa RD are crap.

I can often get around slighter faster on a bike, than in a car in my immediate area.

You can walk to anything around here. Including mass transit.

The place is so ridiculous, "There is the guy that rides the bike".

I have been in this area my entire life, and parts of it are really nice, but as per the DC, Boston 95 Corridor it's crowded, expensive, and the weather sucks! At least for me the heat is the big issue. I despise summer!

And I would not trust taking any quality bike in the city.

My Father loves the area. And he has been everywhere. Including 5 of the 7 continents. He is not a cyclist. See he can afford it.

Funny, it probably is one of the better places to live in the US. Cost, and Climate are the problem with me.

Anyway I was curious about the responses that's why I was vague.
Old 09-14-16, 03:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I just got lucky. Colorado Springs is beautiful and the portion I commute through is low traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5TfAHK4EOymjDg

Last edited by BobbyG; 09-14-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 03:54 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A downtown area where you live and work nearby and there are plenty of shops, eateries, entertainment and food markets close by. Any college town, many large cities I'd reckon (though you don't want to leave this mysterious 'county metro' area). Beacon, NY if you can deal with being pretty limited without a car and able to work not far from main street. Hudson, NY has a bit of an urban artist up and coming gentrification going on so I hear. Rochester is randomly on my list. Has a bit of an urban center and I hear the surrounding area is decent biking.

Friend just went to Dallas and somewhere else there, said it was nice. City but not too crowded. Stuff may be a bit spread out in Texas though. Plenty other cities... Demoines and Cleveland for some oddball ones.
Old 09-14-16, 04:04 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
A downtown area where you live and work nearby and there are plenty of shops, eateries, entertainment and food markets close by. Any college town, many large cities I'd reckon (though you don't want to leave this mysterious 'county metro' area). Beacon, NY if you can deal with being pretty limited without a car and able to work not far from main street. Hudson, NY has a bit of an urban artist up and coming gentrification going on so I hear. Rochester is randomly on my list. Has a bit of an urban center and I hear the surrounding area is decent biking.

Friend just went to Dallas and somewhere else there, said it was nice. City but not too crowded. Stuff may be a bit spread out in Texas though. Plenty other cities... Demoines and Cleveland for some oddball ones.
Nothing mysterious. I posted my location over 10 minutes ago. I don't see what that has to do with my question.

Some of these responses are very obvious.

Although Austin is the place in Texas I could never see myself there. And the heat, the hell with that. Cleveland to much snow.

The place that has the most appeal but it's to expensive is either Northern California, or somewhere in the Pacific North West.

My longtime neighbor moved to Whidbey Island two years ago. Her longtime boyfriend has a house there. He is ex Navy, and there is a big base there.

My Father use to go to Seattle for business frequently.

I think most people would never give up a great location they know about. That would ruin it.
Old 09-14-16, 04:26 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Try the PNW if you don't like summer. Portland, Seattle, Vancouver. Get used to the rain, though.
Old 09-14-16, 09:56 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Try the PNW if you don't like summer. Portland, Seattle, Vancouver. Get used to the rain, though.
Yup. Vancouver, BC has a great bike network which is regularly being improved.

Now just find a job and an place to live that allows money for food and you're golden.

Edit: Location changed from Vancouver. I couldn't find a job or housing to meet a sustainable ratio.

Last edited by joeyduck; 09-14-16 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Changed location
Old 09-14-16, 10:01 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Colorado. /thread.
Old 09-15-16, 09:57 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I like where I live and work. Commute along roads some with bike lanes some don't.. pretty good weather sometimes on the hot and humid side. now if I could just find a job that would help my cycling addiction or at least let me tour more.
Old 09-15-16, 11:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nothing mysterious. I posted my location over 10 minutes ago. I don't see what that has to do with my question.

Some of these responses are very obvious.

Although Austin is the place in Texas I could never see myself there. And the heat, the hell with that. Cleveland to much snow.

The place that has the most appeal but it's to expensive is either Northern California, or somewhere in the Pacific North West.

My longtime neighbor moved to Whidbey Island two years ago. Her longtime boyfriend has a house there. He is ex Navy, and there is a big base there.

My Father use to go to Seattle for business frequently.

I think most people would never give up a great location they know about. That would ruin it.
Check out Sacramento. Less expensive than the Bay Area, although it might still be more than east coasters are used to. No snow, although the rain and tule fog can be oppressive in winter.
Old 09-15-16, 08:38 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
the rain and tule fog can be oppressive in winter.
Interesting. I had to lookup 'tule'. Thought it was an auto-correct artifact. I thought fog was mostly restricted to coastal areas. I much prefer rain to fog. Unfortunately we get both in the winter.
Old 09-16-16, 10:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Amsterdam is my idea of bike heaven.
That looks like what I remember of the bike parking outside the Amsterdam train station -- although in Amsterdam I suppose there could be many parking lots like that.
Old 09-18-16, 04:06 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I previously compiled my list of arguments for Boston in this thread, "What is it like where you are?"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Does a near-perfect weather place exist?

Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here. Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Describe Your Commute
Kenmore Square, Boston to Norwood over 30 years

Route: Reverse commute from downtown on four different routes of a minimal distance of 14 miles, each defined by a different hill; can expand to about 30 miles to train
Environment: In order of hill difficulty: Gritty (but safe) urban, pleasant suburban, pleasant urban, ritzy suburban
Hills: One moderate hill on each route, then smaller hills; estimate only about 1-2 miles flat
Road conditions / surfaces: All paved blacktop roads, many, but usually avoidable potholes and cracks; better in summer; shoulders and bike lanes usually available on the major thouroghfares; pleasant residential streets. A pretty well connected, scenic and utilitarian system of bikepaths is available.
Traffic: Heavy urban traffic on major routes during usual travel times, but I ride the reverse commuter direction, mostly very early in AM…
Alternative Transportation: subway, train, car, bus, taxis, car rentals, Zipcar, place to stay comfortably overnight [at work].
In summary,

Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner...

… through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park)…during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons…
Not to brag, but to illustrate the possibilities.
Old 09-19-16, 10:11 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hard to beat where I live and work...and, yes, I picked both for cycling and commuting.

I live about 9 miles North of the junction on the red trail, and I work at the junction of the yellow trail. My morning commute is to hop-skip via country road on over to the little green to blue to brown trail which runs Southwest into town. I head back in the afternoon on the brown to green trail running Southeast, and then, just before the junction, I hop over to the red trail which I ride North to the house.
Old 09-20-16, 02:35 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
60% bike path, 20% quiet roads and 20% going through villages with some 30kmh zones. I love my commute. Easy, safe, flat and on good weather days I get a breathtaking view of the Alps.
https://www.strava.com/activities/717860442

Now when I feel like I need to go into the mountains for some hiking or biking, I can take the car or simply ride my bike there.
https://www.strava.com/activities/533721595

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.