Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

$500 ‘Speeding Tickets’ for Riding BIKES Over 15 MPH

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

$500 ‘Speeding Tickets’ for Riding BIKES Over 15 MPH

Old 06-30-19, 08:53 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Outside of the frequent MUP debate among the general cycling community, I'd never heard of any mention of such a thing before the proliferation of e-bikes.

Its this lumping of all cyclist into one pot regulation that's what I'm afraid of most. For generations cyclist of all types have been doing our thing with barely any mention of wrong of need for more law enforcement to get involved.

Now, within the last few years there's regular news stories of cycling mishaps, politicians getting involved, ticking with exorbitant fines, and suggestions of licensing cyclist. Doesn't law enforcement have enough real crime to deal with? We need to stop this insanity. If they wish to regular powered cycles fine. But leave traditions cyclist out of it.

In all my years of cycling I've never runover anyone despite having people walk right into my path. I've always been able to stop without accident or injury. We cyclist haven't done any more now than what's always been done.

We don't need any government intrusion or regulation beyond what already is in place. We are no more a threat to the community than runners/joggers or anyone else. And unlike skateboarders, I don't ride my bike on the sidewalk. LEAVE US ALONE.
I'm sure life would be better for pedestrians if motor vehicles were only able to must 30 mph or less, and with the low disciplined/random nature of MUP users, I avoid our local MUPs like the plague, preferring the roadway instead, where I can basically pedal at my extreme limits for the most part.
Old 06-30-19, 09:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So? Go To the City Council meetings and get that changed...
Old 06-30-19, 01:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If the OP asks if 16mph is too fast, that would depend on where he's riding at 16mph.

It's not if he's trying to keep up with traffic with a speed limit of 30mph and the law needs to account for that.

If the law states a $500 fine for going over 15mph, and you feel that's not justified on bike trails, bike lanes or MUPs, then one has to be proactive towards repealing or modifying that law with respect to pedestrian safety.

My opinion is that 15mph (24km/hr) is pretty fast on a mup and bike lane. I'm usually 6mph (10 km/hr) on those.

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-30-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 07:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
So? Go To the City Council meetings and get that changed...
Its not that simple, and you know it. But it is a start. On second thought, the start would be to notify your councilman of how you feel. He should know that one complaint equals 100.
Originally Posted by Daniel4
If the OP asks if 16mph is too fast, that would depend on where he's riding at 16mph.

It's not if he's trying to keep up with traffic with a speed limit of 30mph and the law needs to account for that.

If the law states a $500 fine for going over 15mph, and you feel that's not justified on bike trails, bike lanes or MUPs, then one has to be proactive towards repealing or modifying that law with respect to pedestrian safety.

My opinion is that 15mph (24km/hr) is pretty fast on a mup and bike lane. I'm usually 6mph (10 km/hr) on those.

Actually, it depends on the conditions: If its two miles of straight path and you're the only one on it then nobody cares how fast you're going.
Old 07-01-19, 10:57 AM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes. Safety first!
really ? seriously ?
Old 07-01-19, 11:39 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
really ? seriously ?
Yes, of course! I consider it my civic duty to help propel the outrage on a click bait titled BF thread. Apparently it worked!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 07-01-19, 02:35 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Cop: I have you on radar going 19mph

Me: I'm sorry, officer. I can do better.

Cop: Thank you.

Me: Give me a minute to go back a few hundred feet and start over. I'm sure I can get up to 25 this time

Cop: No proble.....HEEEY!!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!!!
Old 07-01-19, 08:13 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
There is a beach community near here with a 17 mph speed limit. On a couple of streets they have signs that flash your speed if you exceed that. So you really have to.
Old 07-02-19, 06:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
How about if we're on our tandem bike? Does my wife get a stoker fine? Or does just the captain get the fine? Maybe there should be bike pooling HOV (or HOB) lanes. We've had our tandem rolling up to 39 mph on local roads and could have gone faster.
Why don't you ride to Denver and find out? After all, this alleged off-the-wall ticketing scheme doesn't have any impact within 1000+ miles of your current riding location. Maybe if you hurry you could be the first bicyclist-citizen to actually get a $500 ticket .
Old 07-02-19, 07:43 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
There is a MUP here where they split up walkers and cyclists. The walkers' path is a bit more scenic. The cyclists' path between the walkers' path and the busy roadway. Ocasionaly they merge.

That is a good scheme. Walkers and cyclists don't mix well, unless cyclists go slow or riding a beach cruiser. Walkers with baby strollers and small children complain about cyclists, but are ignored. Just a matter of time til something real bad happens.

With the emergence of e-bikes, dual MUP is the way to go. Walker on one path. Traditional cyclists and e-bikers on the other.
In Boulder, portions of the MUP along Broadway are built like that.
The sidewalk portion to the right is a little narrower;
The bike portion to the left has a painted centerline:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...4d-105.2705456
Old 07-02-19, 09:54 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
In Boulder, portions of the MUP along Broadway are built like that.
The sidewalk portion to the right is a little narrower;
The bike portion to the left has a painted centerline:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...4d-105.2705456
They have similar here as well. Although unless there's a physical barrier (my ideal) pedestrians seem to be strangely drawn to the cyclist portion even when there's a perfectly good (and empty) sidewalk right next to it? Go figure.
Old 07-02-19, 10:10 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I wish the county would start ticketing those deer that run out in front of my bike on purpose. They wait until the last minute then run out in front trying to wreck me. I know it is multi use road but those deer think they are above the law.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-02-19, 01:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
There is a MUP here where they split up walkers and cyclists. The walkers' path is a bit more scenic. The cyclists' path between the walkers' path and the busy roadway.
We've got a section they did backwards: pedestrians got a sidewalk along the major road, cyclists got a pair of winding unidirectional paths through a garden.
Old 07-02-19, 01:31 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
That said, we just lost a key section of riverfront greenway in NYC to years of complaints of people cycling too fast (both in inflated perception, and also in fact) through a busy and pedestrian-popular area. And yes, there have been incidents, if as often when pedestrians forgot that it was a shared area as when cyclists did.

Instead there's now a hilly, un-lighted, still pedestrian-popular 24/7/12 detour that's already starting to have its own recorded incidents.
Where was/is this?
Old 07-02-19, 01:37 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Where was/is this?
79th street boat basin area of the Hudson River Greenway. Its now a dismount zone with an offered detour along a hilly, unlit, and still pedestrian-popular path. Worse, it has a very steep final crest (where many stall out) before arcing along the edge of an unnecessary traffic circle between that and a cafe concession. And whoever painted the directional arrows was not operating from the same plan as whoever put in the flexiposts, as those ended up right in the middle of the northbound arrows, making it decidedly unclear how even those of a mind to use it with strict legality are supposed to do so.
Old 07-02-19, 01:40 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
79th street boat basin area of the Hudson River Greenway. Its now a dismount zone with an offered detour along a hilly, unlit, and still pedestrian-popular path. Worse, it has a very steep final crest (where many stall out) before arcing along the edge of an unnecessary traffic circle between that and a cafe concession. And whoever painted the directional arrows was not operating from the same plan as whoever put in the flexiposts, as those ended up right in the middle of the northbound arrows, making it decidedly unclear how even those of a mind to use it with strict legality are supposed to do so.
I was wondering what was going on over there. Thought it was engineering related.
Old 07-06-19, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
$500******************** Where is a 7 year old boy going to get $500?
Old 07-06-19, 10:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
$500******************** Where is a 7 year old boy going to get $500?
The imaginary 7 year old boy (and imaginary 7 year old Suzie too), who receives an imaginary $500 ticket will go to his imaginary grandfather,Daddy Warbucks and get him to pay the imaginary fine to the imaginary Big Bad B-crat; all good clean imaginary rhetorical bloviation.
Old 07-06-19, 11:10 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by base2

The park is just plainly outside of the vehicle code. So charging bicyclists with a vehicle code violation is absurd.

On a related note: (and I don't mean to derail the thread this early on)
Here in Washington we had a case a few years back where a guy got a speeding ticket. Key to the case was the officer wrote in his statement that his patrol car was located in the median when he properly used used his properly calibrated radar gun to observe the infraction take place. The driver fought the ticket in court & won. The gist of the drivers defense was that to be issued a citation the officer must observe from the roadway. Under the law the median is defined as: "The area between roadways." Therefore the officer was not in a legally defined place for accurate observation.

One reason, (among many) is the speed indication of the RADAR gun is a function of a tangent of the line of travel & any indication other than head on is inaccurate by definition. Another is the officer wrote a specific speed, something like 89 in a 60. Given it's already established inaccuracy from vantage, the appropriate ticket that may have stuck would probably just be: "exceeding the limit" which is more subjective in nature. But it would still have only applied if the officer observed the alleged infraction from the legally defined roadway.
I heard of a case in CA where the patrol car was parked on private property when the radar reading was taken, and the citation was thrown out as the "fruit of an illegal search".
Old 07-09-19, 11:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Hmmmm but a lot of 7 year old boys can ride faster than 15 mph especially down hills.

And what if he doesnt have a well heeled daddy Warbucks. Will the greedy tax and spend B'crats throw him in jail**********

Oh and a lot of little Susies too!!!!!!!!!!

The bottom line remain a $500 fine is criminal abuse of power by the town B'crats.
Old 07-09-19, 06:00 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Conditionally I may be supportive of the law. If someone is blasting down a crowded path within a few feet of pedestrians, I would support a ticket in that case. If the path is open and empty, I would not. If the enforcement officers will apply a little common sense, it can serve a greater good
This is where I am.

In Portland, cyclist treatment of peds is abysmal. I see them blasting WAY too fast and close by peds and animals daily. The local bike "advocates" justify this ridiculous behavior -- the normal comeback being that people aren't getting killed so what's the big deal. Doesn't help with attitudes towards cyclists -- despite getting around almost exclusively by bike, I have more sympathy for drivers than cyclists in my town.

If you want to ride fast, ride roads.
Old 07-10-19, 02:30 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Two things should be enforced:
-Reckless driving. Going to fast for conditions at time and place (even if this is less than PSL)
-Speed violations >10mph over PSL. Just as motorized vehicles are given a tolerance except in school zones. (speed cameras in AZ only trigger 11mph and over).

From City of Mesa LEO Q&A:
"Why are speeders [in AZ] allowed an 11 mph buffer?
The margin is intended to address language in the Arizona Revised Statutes related to speed offenses that defines, "...reasonable and prudent..." speed. It also provides a reasonable margin of error/grace for inaccurate vehicle speedometers and short-term lapses of attention by otherwise law-abiding and generally cautious drivers.
Our primary focus is on intentional, aggressive and negligent drivers. Statistics tell us that at 10 mph over the posted speed limit, the probability of being involved in a crash doubles. However, at 20 mph over, the probability increases to 11 times greater. We are trying to change the driving behavior of those persons who are most likely to cause crashes."
Old 07-10-19, 11:00 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy chainring
This is simply not true.

LEOs in the SF Bay Area have been using radar to give cyclists tickets for decades. They haven't had a "tough time."
I'm sure that the speeding tickets SF cyclist are getting are greater than 5mph over, and again, good luck to the courts trying to make it stick at that difference range of 1 to 5 mph over. Even our local traffic enforcement won't touch that range difference.
Likes For dynodonn:
Old 07-11-19, 01:59 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by fuzzy chainring
This is simply not true.

LEOs in the SF Bay Area have been using radar to give cyclists tickets for decades. They haven't had a "tough time."
Probably because nobody has challenged it yet. It wouldn't be the first illegal or unconstitutional law that was put into place and people just paid the fine rather than challenge its legality in court.

Some laws are clever like that when they know nobody is going to challenge a law that would cost them ten times the money and their personal time to hire a lawyer to challenge it.

These laws are typically designed to focus on those with limited means. Police are also know to be selective on who they choose to ticket.
Old 07-11-19, 04:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Follow the law to the best of your ability but fight all tickets. Haven’t paid one in 20 years

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.