Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why I ride.

Old 07-24-19, 08:58 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Hmmm, Don't know if the initial post reads quite as the author intended. It does seem to have a little Khan Noonien Singh sentiment in it.
The Wrath of Ray9?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-24-19, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The Wrath of Ray9?
No, not that bad yet. Probably some of the thinking that started people taking sides for the Eugenics Wars talked about in TOS "Space Seed"
Old 07-24-19, 09:15 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
Don’t confuse bitterness with outright anger. I worked with a woman for years who was told to stop smoking or she would lose her leg. She told them to take the leg. She was a Boomer who benefited from medical research and never had to face Polio or a host of other bacterial infections eradicated by modern medicine. She thumbed her nose at the research and paid the fiddler with a leg. She’s long gone just like the husbands of three of my sisters-in-law who are alone in their golden years. I am here for my wife because I hit the road every day and log miles on the safest roads I can find. At 72 I still get butterflies in my stomach as I prepare for the adventure ahead.

If sanctimony is your observation then acquainting yourself with reality may be a policy you should follow. I’m not the judge for these people, they are blissfully suicidal. They learned nothing from those who went before them. I follow Darwin.
I think you need to ride more and worry less about what other do. Maybe have a drink and relax once in a while.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 07-24-19, 09:50 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I'm sick of going to the intensive care unit to visit friends I grew up with. I can't say anything there but I can here.
Old 07-24-19, 10:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I ride because it makes me smile.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by caloso
I ride my bike to ride my bike.
Nah, that's too advanced for me.
Old 07-24-19, 11:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ditto.

Nah, that's too advanced for me.
https://www.thedailyzen.org/2015/06/...de-my-bicycle/

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,

“Why are you riding your bicycles?”

The first student replied, “The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!”

The teacher praised the student, saying, “You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do.”

The second student replied, “I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path.”

The teacher commended the student, “Your eyes are open and you see the world.”

The third student replied, “When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo.”
The teacher gave praise to the third student, “Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student answered, “Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings.”

The teacher was pleased and said, “You are riding on the golden path of non-harming.”

The fifth student replied, “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, “I am your disciple.”
Old 07-24-19, 11:46 AM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
I'm sick of going to the intensive care unit to visit friends.

We understand that. Most of us here on this bicycling forum have probably had experiences and emotions similar to yours.
Old 07-24-19, 12:49 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
... No one, rich or poor, has a right to poison themselves. They do however have a responsibility to pay their own way if they choose to use the poison.
As a Libertarian, you should believe that everyone DOES have the right to poison themselves. But you are correct, they should have the responsibility to bear the consequences of their behavior.
Old 07-24-19, 12:49 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Why I Ride

I ride to exercise.

I ride because at this moment in time I will not allow my cancer to stop me.

I ride because I enjoy doing so at any given moment even though shortly after I might hate being out riding.

I ride to accomplish a goal I put before me.

I ride 100 miles this Friday in memory of my friend Pete ---

------ Peter M. Cornell | ghost bikes
Old 07-24-19, 01:06 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
You sir are no libertarian. Way too judgmental!

But then again it is ironic that I am quite the libertarian except when judging you. Not giving a $hit is harder than it looks.
Likes For Cyclist03516:
Old 07-24-19, 03:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why I ride.
If I should meet my end on the highway don’t feel sorry for me because any sympathy I have for those who threw away their health by eating like pigs, smoking like chimneys and drinking like fish can be measured in microns.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Any one of us could have get a disease or be disabled in a moment. Riding bicycles is no guarantee and the measure you give is the measure you will get
Meh, it's the old "there but for the grace of God go I" If you break your leg dancing you still have to pay the fiddler's bill. I agree with your last paragraph; anything can happen at any time.
FWIW, I have posted on several such threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?”

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trivial symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.
Old 07-24-19, 03:59 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A lot of people wonder why I do something every day that would kill most people if they tried it once. Because I read the warnings on cigarette packages I abstained from the habit in 1976 when the price of the lung destroyers was 35 cents a pack. Observations of friends and relatives that abused alcohol convinced me to avoid the poison and seeing the damage done to those who smoked weed and progressed to the stronger stuff alerted me to the reality that I and I alone have responsibility for my personal health.

In 1972 when I watched Frank Shorter win the Olympic Marathon I started running to stay in shape when no one else I knew was doing it. I ran for many years until my joints and ligaments began to protest and because I had saved thousands from not buying tobacco weed, or alcohol, I had the resources to purchase an expensive racing bicycle in 1983. It was the best investment of my life as nearly all of the people who were putting powder up their noses at the time are either already dead or swallowing their faces in a nursing home today.

As a libertarian I support the choices of all the corpses and institutionalized vegetables warehoused in beds across the nation enjoying the fruits of those choices. Every day at 72 I get on my bike and ride fifty miles, chasing the wind with clear lungs by choice. I know there is a risk due to traffic, driver inattention and impaired vehicle operation but it’s a risk worth taking just like the risk many others took when they voluntarily sabotaged their vital organs with chemicals.

If I should meet my end on the highway don’t feel sorry for me because any sympathy I have for those who threw away their health by eating like pigs, smoking like chimneys and drinking like fish can be measured in microns.

As a Baby boomer I got great deal. Jonas Salk and Alexander Fleming cleared the minefield of many diseases that took out depression-era citizens and my path was easier. I have a huge appreciation for those who worked so hard to make things better for me. That’s why I ride my bike; It’s good for my heart, my lungs and my mind.

You do what you want; you’re free for now. See you on the road.
OMG! Ray9,WT! ? I too watched shorter so must be close in age. I'm thinking a recent crazy occurrence of some sort has sent you off the ledge. My first guess would be a close family issue or you've been watching the national news/political BS commentary that has you realizing you're not really a liberal (in todays' world you still have to pick a side). I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling much better!

Last edited by BKE; 07-24-19 at 04:01 PM. Reason: content
Old 07-24-19, 04:21 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
It is amazing how the act of riding such a simple machine as a bike can become such a complicated issue.

I like @caloso’s story, especially the ending: I ride my bike...to ride my bike.

It is what it is. Or as they say in the TdF, c’est ce que c’est.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 07-24-19 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 05:13 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I ride to get to work and back and don't think about other people's choices as long as they obey traffic laws and maintain situational awareness.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 07-24-19, 06:07 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
I ride because at the time I throw my leg over the top tube, I feel like it.

I could list a host of "reasons", but it really just comes down to I feel like going riding.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 07-24-19 at 06:20 PM.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-25-19, 12:02 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I am here for my wife because I hit the road every day and log miles on the safest roads I can find.
I'm sorry. That's just bad logic. In fact, you have no way of knowing why you're here for your W. It could be your exercising, but it could be one or more of many other factors.

Actually, based on your 'logic,' my Mom is a much better case for doing the opposite of what you do. She never exercised, and she's been obese for the 75 years I've known her, and probably longer. She's in her 102nd year and still going strong, making new friends, etc..

Also, you may ride for other reasons than the ones you have stated. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Last edited by philbob57; 07-25-19 at 12:15 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-25-19, 01:00 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
I ride because
  • I can swill beer when I want to and not get fat
  • eat whatever I want just had some Tex Mex food in San Antonio
  • I have more wind than most 51 year olds
  • I look like I’m in my 30s because I ride
  • I’m never depressed because of the endorphins
  • I have a blast riding comparably to freedom
  • and many more reasons I don’t feel like typing right now
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 07-25-19, 07:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Sanctimony is strong with this one.

People cycle for different reasons and different combinations of reasons. I read somewhere that one of the benefits of cycling is that every minute you cycle adds a minute to your life expectancy. On that basis, someone who rides strictly for longevity and finds no joy in it would appear to be making a bad bargain.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 07-25-19, 08:00 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Get off your Lawn too?
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-25-19, 11:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Why I ride ... Mount Diablo... it's who I am.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/37033/video/39537993

Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-25-19 at 11:54 PM.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-26-19, 11:11 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
One of the reasons why I ride...

Father: massive stroke, age 80
Grandfather: massive heart attack, age 45
Great-Grandfather: massive stroke, age 55
Great-Great-Grandfather, collapsed on hunting trip, probable heart attack or stroke, age 55

Me: age 60, not dead yet, and trying to stay that way for a while longer.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-26-19, 01:13 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I‘ve proposed this before but here it is again: Double the price of a six-pack of beer,
Just the domestic stuff, thank you very much.
Likes For zowie:
Old 07-26-19, 01:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
One of the reasons why I ride...

Father: massive stroke, age 80
Grandfather: massive heart attack, age 45
Great-Grandfather: massive stroke, age 55
Great-Great-Grandfather, collapsed on hunting trip, probable heart attack or stroke, age 55

Me: age 60, not dead yet, and trying to stay that way for a while longer.
Similar family history here. My dad had a heart attack at 54: ate too much, drank too much, smoked too much, and had a sedentary stressful job. Would have died but for miraculously quick medical intervention. My uncle, his older brother: almost identical circumstances except that he was alone when it happened and he died. It's probably not a coincidence that most of my cousins are hardcore fitness freaks: open water swimmer; AT through-hiker, marathoners, triathletes, and me the masters bike racer. I think we all understand that none of us is going to out-run our genes. But we're certainly not going to contribute to the risk with life-style choices.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-26-19, 02:09 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think we all understand that none of us is going to out-run our genes. But we're certainly not going to contribute to the risk with life-style choices.
Agree. Those choices for many of us are not a sudden revelation or atonement for past missteps but part of a lifestyle that was out of the mainstream decades ago but with some beneficial consequences that are a by-product of cycling as a sport, along with the injuries that are also part of the deal.

That being said there is nothing more tedious than the smug sanctimonious humble brag inserted into a sermon on riding the bike as some sort of health panacea, sign of superior virtue, vitality and determined grit. Yawn.....

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-26-19, 02:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
This thread reminded me that I need to pick up a pack of smokes after I leave work and ride to happy hour for a couple of Manhattans. My favorite bartender works tonight. She and I have know each other for more than 14 years.

OBTL
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.