Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Argos

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 07:24 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I almost was remiss in mentioning that this build was facilitated with the assistance of several forum members. I've had help from multiple people with bits and pieces for the several builds that I have in the works, and I don't want to mess up the crediting, but I certainly am grateful for all the kind souls here.

Also - measured the seat post. It varies from 27.2 to 27.06 as I take a few measurements. Anybody have a legitimate 27.2 they want to trade for a post that could be 27.0 with a couple minutes of work with some 600 grit wet-dry? It's Campagnolo.
Old 07-03-18, 09:06 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
I've only seen a few Argos "in the steel" but lots of pictures. They were simple but very elegant and the cosmetics were top quality. Most of them were either dark blue flamboyant like @USAZoro frame, a lighter solid blue or red. The paint and lug work was a step above Ron Cooper frames.

I'd buy one "in a Hong Kong minute"!

We sold a lot of Charles Roberts frames in the 70's, The Argos logo reminds me of those frames but again, the paint and cosmetics were superior to the Roberts which were very good.

@ Salamandrine and @amedias As far as urban myths and 1970's cycling lore goes, you can take a lot of that crap about frame failures with a grain of salt! The average hot shot bikie in the US knew so little about so much and was completely opinionated plus was a slave to all the latest rumors. (in addition they never had any money)

If someone heard that Eddy Merckx won a race riding on a seat post without a saddle, the next week they'd all want that kind of seatpost.

Eddy adjusting his seat on the go.

We sold a lot of French bikes in the 70's and many of the better quality production models were built with Super Vitus 971 tubes. Somewhere the rumor got started that a rider in the US Nationals had a chain stay break in a sprint final riding a Super Vitus 971 frame. Who was the rider, what make frame???

After that, we had a hard time selling a bike with a Super Vitus 971 frame.

Little did the fools know that quite a few custom builders made lots of frames with Super Vitus 971 tubing. It was at least half the price of Reynolds 531 and Columbus, the tubes were better finished and closer to size plus the high strength low alloy steel was much less subject to overheating and fast cooling....

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-04-18, 09:15 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mmmmm that candy blue over gold is astonishing in good light. Frame details and finish on the Argos are so far above the quality of any original International i've seen (except the reworked ones) that John was originally looking for!

It's true that most of us didn't know nothin' back then. I'm in awe of people like Chas who were in a great place to absorb the business insider knowledge - and are still here to pass that on.
Happy Fourth everyone, and stay cool!