Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about those helmet vents and bald head sunburn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Let's talk about those helmet vents and bald head sunburn

Old 07-26-19, 09:23 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
I used to wear ones like that on my motorcycle, the biggest problem was the lack of drawing moisture away, the cotton stayed wet and soon became uncomfortable.

Are those more like a cycling jersey?
These are wicking material, and ~SPF 70. They actually reflect the sun and will feel cooler than without it. I have 4 of their longsleeve jerseys as well, and even in the AZ summer, I'll wear long sleeves and actually be cooler.

https://www.vaporapparel.com/bandana/
Old 07-26-19, 06:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
I wear an old style cotton cycling cap under my helmet. I need to shop for one that has high SPF to prevent painful sunburn, and investigate what it takes to stop the bigger half of the UV problem, radiation that can cause skin cancer.

Originally Posted by BengalCat
^^^This.

All one needs to know. Headsweats or any other skull cap made specifically for bicycle riders wearing helmets in moderate or warm weather, especially sunny weather.

A good place to peruse is Amazon and just type in the search feature for "skull caps" or "bicycle headcover," etc. Buy from whoever you want once you have decided.

Good luck on getting something that is exactly right for you.
Old 07-26-19, 07:34 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I wear an old style cotton cycling cap under my helmet. I need to shop for one that has high SPF to prevent painful sunburn, and investigate what it takes to stop the bigger half of the UV problem, radiation that can cause skin cancer.

I wear a lightweight white-colored SPEG UV-Pro Cycling Head Cooling Helmet Liner, SPF30 Skull cap. It fits all.

· Offers moisture wicking, cooling and UV30+ protection for those with medium to short and zero head hair.

· Manufactured using a combination of CoolDry fabric and Spandex for flexibility

· The CoolDry fabric combines the comfort of cotton and the quick-dry performance of polyester fabric

· The tetra channel structure of the fiber makes CoolDry more breathable, which repels the moisture quicker and keeps the body drier and more comfortable

SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays, SPF 30blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays. So, the difference between 30 and 50 is about 1 percent.

It costs about $12 and lasts forever.
Old 07-28-19, 03:30 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Mission Enduracool Cooling Helmet Liner

I have used many different caps-- so, so many-- and this is the absolute best for hot weather, hands down, bar none.

I wear Headsweats caps from around November through March. The rest of the year is Enduracool all the way.
Following doctor's orders, I got one of these from Amazon. I was expecting a sweat-sucker type cap, but the Mission is marketed as a cooling cap.

The "color" is called Digital Camo. Calling Richard Cranium...

The cap arrived late in the day, so I soaked it per instructions and wore it around the house. Stylin'! It works–kept my head cool, even cold for an hour. I was concerned, though, that it wouldn't suck sweat, which is what I need. Now I have ridden it on three rides, and the cap has kept sweat out of my eyes. None of the rides has been in very hot temperatures; I am riding around sunrise, 63-70° last week here in Mass. But the cap fits great and I have high hopes for it. And though I am not (yet) bald, it will keep the scalp from scorching.

Last edited by BCDrums; 07-29-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 01:17 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I was in a bakery yesterday, buying jam doughnuts, and the woman serving me was wearing a disposable hair net.

This thing was like the material tights are made from. Air will pass straight through it but it should just give adequate shade to protect the skin from UV when cycling, if worn under a cycle helmet...

Apparently you can buy a box of them for just a few quid, from any catering supplies (or eBay etc I expect).
Old 07-29-19, 05:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

Yeah.. why are all of the standard logo'd bike caps still made with cotton.. Wouldn't poly make more sense by default?

This works for me. They also have the same but without a brim.

Giro SPF Cycling Cap
Old 07-29-19, 07:42 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Halo headband user here too. They work just great. I'd like to see this walmart one noted above. Also good to have a spare if needed.
Old 07-29-19, 08:44 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat

I wear a lightweight white-colored SPEG UV-Pro Cycling Head Cooling Helmet Liner, SPF30 Skull cap. It fits all.

· Offers moisture wicking, cooling and UV30+ protection for those with medium to short and zero head hair.

· Manufactured using a combination of CoolDry fabric and Spandex for flexibility

· The CoolDry fabric combines the comfort of cotton and the quick-dry performance of polyester fabric

· The tetra channel structure of the fiber makes CoolDry more breathable, which repels the moisture quicker and keeps the body drier and more comfortable

SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays, SPF 30blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays. So, the difference between 30 and 50 is about 1 percent.

It costs about $12 and lasts forever.
I wear these too, and they work great, but I am skeptical of the spf30 claim, as clothing is supposed to be rated upf and sunscreen is rated spf.
Old 07-29-19, 08:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I did not have good fortune with the SPEG caps. They don't hold the sweat back as they are very thin, and most importantly-- they don't last. Perhaps 20 washes and they had gotten downright baggy, and they didn't exactly stay white, either. I would not recommend.
Old 07-29-19, 10:14 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmassey338
I wear these too, and they work great, but I am skeptical of the spf30 claim, as clothing is supposed to be rated upf and sunscreen is rated spf.
Used it for years in sunny Southern California and I have a totally bald head and have never gotten any burn or noticeable tan. In fact, since my face gets so tan from riding while my head stays protected and pale I have to make extra trips outside to get some color on my head so I don't have the stark tan/pale contrast between my face and head.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 07-30-19, 06:22 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
My wife gets this UV spray for her and our daughter. It is called "Mother Daughter UV Mist Spray". I am not bald, but the sun can still burn by head through my hair. This stuff works very well, and it doesn't make my hair look gunky. It also comes in handy when driving with the top down across the Mojave.
Old 07-30-19, 09:05 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Cap
I recently got a Pearl Izumi white skullcap. It's thinner than my older Headsweats cap, and has a wide elastic band on the sides to keep it snug. No extremely hot rides so far, but I expect it will soak up sweat on most days. I like it.

Sunscreen yellowing

I use the "dry" spray sunscreens, usually Neutrogena, or now Trader Joe's. They aren't greasy, have a minimal "beach" fragrance, and last the whole ride. It doesn't sting my eyes either.

But they do make a yellow stain on white jersey sleeves. The only thing that clears it out of the fabric is straight chlorine bleach, left sitting for at least 10 minutes -- it gets yellower at first, then slowly fades away. I was surprised that the bleach didn't affect the other printed colors on the jersey, red and black. I hang the sleeves over a bucket, and drip full strength bleach on the stained areas. Test it first!!

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-30-19 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 09:37 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
A moistened cabbage leaf under your helmet. Keeps you cool, no sunburn.
Old 08-01-19, 03:09 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I'm ordering one also, thanks! A cooler head with protection that my thinning hair can no longer provide sounds like a winner to me.
I got mine today. I got the white, and am anticipating not only wearing it while bicycling but also when mowing the lawn. My GF will be even more embarrassed than when I do that wearing my high vis bicycle shirt!!