Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie here

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Newbie here

Old 06-15-10, 12:26 PM
NesTea420

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie here

Hello everyone!!

I recently picked up biking, and enjoy it a lot...I am in fairly good shape, and I would rather bike that run at this point of my life, mainly because of my knees...

I bought a Fuji Nevada 4.0...I like this bike a lot, I replaced the tire so that I can ride it on the road as well...but I want an actual road bike for road...something light and fast, and also something that looks good...I have about $800 to spare, what is a good bike for this price range, and what should I be looking for. I will be visiting the LBS soon...I want to go back to the place where I got the mtn bike from...I paid $250 for a new 2009 Nevada 4.0, is this a good price for this bike?
Old 06-15-10, 12:30 PM
Sapience

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I was looking for a road bike I had about the same budget.

I bought used components off of ebay (Ultegra 6500, there was a great deal I found), but a brand new frame/saddle/etc.

I only spent $600-$700 on the bike, and I couldn't be happier. All I can say is DO NOT BUY A FULL BIKE RETAIL or you will get ripped off
Old 06-15-10, 12:59 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buying a new bike from an LBS can be a really good deal. Lifetime warranties, tune ups, relationship with techs, etc. Don't rule that out.

And you can get a lot of bike for the money with careful shopping and deal watching for $600-1000.

Recent thread, that matches up with your needs pretty well.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...try-level-bike
Old 06-17-10, 09:06 PM
NesTea420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after looking around...I got a deal on Fuji Roubaix 1.0 2010 model. The bike was a display, had a small dent on the frame, and its hardly noticeable, everything else looks clean...I got the bike for $700+$55 in taxes, so the bike came to $755. The LBS person assured me that I am getting a great deal for a new bike...I put $100 and walked away, they said they will have it all cleaned up and ready. Is this a good deal for this bike, as a newbie I don't want to be getting screwed on the bike, this is the same shop that sold me the Fuji Nevada 4.0 for $250? I could have had a Fuji Newest 1.0 for $800+taxes...also I got a lifetime warrenty on the bike as well. Looking forward to your comments.
Old 06-18-10, 03:03 AM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NesTea420
after looking around...I got a deal on Fuji Roubaix 1.0 2010 model. The bike was a display, had a small dent on the frame, and its hardly noticeable, everything else looks clean...I got the bike for $700+$55 in taxes, so the bike came to $755. The LBS person assured me that I am getting a great deal for a new bike...I put $100 and walked away, they said they will have it all cleaned up and ready. Is this a good deal for this bike, as a newbie I don't want to be getting screwed on the bike, this is the same shop that sold me the Fuji Nevada 4.0 for $250? I could have had a Fuji Newest 1.0 for $800+taxes...also I got a lifetime warrenty on the bike as well. Looking forward to your comments.
I know nothing of SRAM Rival, but if it's at least as good as the Tiagra on the "lower end" 2.0 model of that bike, then yea, you made out quite well. Grats!

Depending on what you're using it for, I'd rather have the Roubaix than Nevada, mush more aggressive looking bike, I like the flat top tube on the Roubaix better. Sportier bike in general in other areas.

I have a '08 Roubaix, closer to the Roubaix ACR of today, with the carbon seatstays and love it.
Old 06-18-10, 07:52 AM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think general BF consensus is that Rival is at least as good as 105 unless you hate the SRAM double-tap.
edit: whatever you do, don't start another 105 vs. Rival poll.

Seems like a good deal to me... as long as the bike fits you, of course.
Old 06-18-10, 07:57 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rival is better than Ultegra. The only reason you'd use Ultegra is because of your preference.

Also as long as the bike fits you well, that's a decent deal. A small dent in an aluminum frame usually isn't a problem. Just make sure it fits, and that the LBS isn't trying to push the bike on someone.
Old 06-18-10, 08:53 AM
NesTea420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
Rival is better than Ultegra. The only reason you'd use Ultegra is because of your preference.

Also as long as the bike fits you well, that's a decent deal. A small dent in an aluminum frame usually isn't a problem. Just make sure it fits, and that the LBS isn't trying to push the bike on someone.
The bike fits...I looked at few bikes at the store, I was actually looking at 54 cm but after they had me sit on the bike and measured, they said I need a 56 cm. I also looked at a Gary Fisher (forgot the model), which they were willing to sell for 800, but the guy at the LBS shop told me the Fuji had the better components, and the dent is not a big deal and it was cheaper.
Old 06-18-10, 08:55 AM
NesTea420

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle

with my limited knowledge I asked the LBS person about Ultegra and why the fuji doesn't have it for this price range, and he told me that Rival is compare able to Ultegra and its the top of the line for SRAM.
Old 06-18-10, 08:59 AM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
with my limited knowledge I asked the LBS person about Ultegra and why the fuji doesn't have it for this price range, and he told me that Rival is compare able to Ultegra and its the top of the line for SRAM.
He's an idiot, SRAM Force and SRAM Red product lines are both above Rival...
Old 06-18-10, 09:06 AM
Buegie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rival is the lowest end SRAM (at least it was, now they have Apex as well, not sure where that falls). Not saying its a bad group by any means, but the guy at the shop is just lying to you.