Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shaving on a Long Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Shaving on a Long Tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 01:51 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Shaving on a Long Tour

I know a lot of people don't like to shave on tour. I am one of them. Actually, I hate shaving in general, on your or off tour. However, on a recent trip across Asia I found myself suddenly in tropical Nepal after descending "the longest downhill in the world" from Tibet. My beard we epic and came in handy in wintery Tibet but for the remainder of the trip in Nepal and India I wanted it gone! I paid a local barber for a straight razor shave, which was amazing, for the initial destruction but after that I had to buy expensive and often useless disposables from where ever I could get my hands on them.

When I got back from that trip I started thinking about shaving on tour a lot more and bought this little guy in an electronic market in Seoul, South Korea.

This thing is tiny. Seems to work really well and runs on AAs. Weighs about as much as the iphone with case sitting next to it. I havent taken it on tour yet but have used it at home extensively. All the electronics I carry on tour run on AAs so I only have to bring one charger/cable with me which makes the additional weight of the batteries negligible I am guessing most people tour with at least a few sets of AAs anyways for head/tail lights? I have a thick beard too and was surprised that, given its size, it worked so well. It does take a little longer to do than with a razor but I can deal with that considering that its probably a lot lighter and much cheaper than buying razors, foam, and after shave. The inside of the box also has a little mirror and brush for cleaning the unit. I wish it had a small side burn attachment but thats not the end of the world.

https://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-SV-M730-.../dp/B001ANH1S0

What do you use on tour? What are you pros and cons?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5518.jpg (86.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by zeppinger; 01-27-13 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-27-13, 01:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Own a Phillips Battery powered 2 cutter rotary shaver..
but i can use a regular safety razor in the Shower or Tub,
and it works fine without the foam, maybe just rub the bar of soap on my chin.. ..
My head under the water softens the whiskers fine..
Old 01-27-13, 02:03 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I Own a Phillips Battery powered 2 cutter rotary shaver..
but i can use a regular safety razor in the Shower or Tub,
and it works fine without the foam, maybe just rub the bar of soap on my chin.. ..
My head under the water softens the whiskers fine..
By safety razor do you mean one of these?
https://americanshavingcompany.com/me...Fa5DMgodLkMA-w

I bought one in China but I was really bad with it and ended up cutting myself quite a bit. The razors are dirty cheap though and it will go through a really thick beard no problem. I also never mess with the foam stuff on tour.

What do you do when there is no shower or tub?
Old 01-27-13, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"Safety razor" is Generic . Wilkinson/Schick or Gillette.. etc. the NL made battery razor works dry..

I skip aftershave or pre electric lotion, my natural skin oils are suffient ..
Old 01-27-13, 02:44 PM
k_randomfactor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger

What do you do when there is no shower or tub?
During a luckily brief unemployeed/homeless stint (3mo), I shaved with a cheap disposable and a 99¢ travel bar of Dove soap in many gas station and fastfood joint bathroom sinks when trying to pretty myself up for job interviews. I also did sink baths to remove the funk.

Worked out ok since I eventually got a job and apartment, and am still among the living.
Old 01-27-13, 02:45 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I use a classic Gillette "Fatboy" razor at home and Feather blades. This combination gives me a nice, close shave.

I try to avoid throwaway products as much as possible, but when I tour I do take along disposable razors. These are extremely light and do a pretty good job. When they get dull, I toss them into the recyling bin.

Last edited by Ekdog; 01-27-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-27-13, 02:47 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by k_randomfactor
During a luckily brief unemployeed/homeless stint (3mo), I shaved with a cheap disposable and a 99¢ travel bar of Dove soap in many gas station and fastfood joint bathroom sinks when trying to pretty myself up for job interviews. I also did sink baths to remove the funk.

Worked out ok since I eventually got a job and apartment, and am still among the living.
Glad to hear you're back on your feet.
Old 01-27-13, 02:47 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a cheap disposable "Safety razor" at a Walmart...I shaved probably every 4th day or so. I just soaped up real good with a bar of soap. I had no problems. My razor usually lasted about 3 weeks...maybe 4 if I didn't mind a rough cut.
Old 01-27-13, 02:50 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I just use a bit of soap and a disposable razor. It works fine at home and on the road.

If I'm just on a short (less than 1000 mile) jaunt down the coast, which happens fairly often, I'll usually forgo shaving since I tend to rise before the sun and hit the road at first light. I like a bit of fur on my face when the air is cool. In fact, I grow a full beard from late November until early February to keep my face warm while riding.
Old 01-27-13, 02:54 PM
k_randomfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
Glad to hear you're back on your feet.
Thanks bud!

But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far,far away (or Atlanta in the late 90s, which works out the same ). I was younger, dumber, but much much better lookin'.
Old 01-27-13, 02:59 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
But how do you handle your leg shaving duties?
Old 01-27-13, 03:27 PM
willhslade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braun Pocket Shaver. Same idea, two AA, compact, washable, no beard trimmer.

Pros are the same. Only con is that the foil is thin and can puncture. But you should be able to get a replacement from Braun, but for the cost of shipping it, you could spend $15 and get another.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=braun...w=1024&bih=541

https://www.amazon.com/BRAUN-POCKET-S.../dp/B002PCPZQA
Old 01-28-13, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I do the face and legs with a disposable razor. Travel size shave cream for the face. Nothing for the legs if I shave in the shower.
Old 01-28-13, 09:08 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I use exactly the same thing I use at home - any decent razor with replacable heads. Stopped using shazing cream years ago. Either aloe vera gel (Bannaboat for example) or skin cream (Vaseline for example) does a better job and has a dual purpose.

I did use a compact electric razor at one point when travelling outside the country and razors weren't allowed in carryon baggage. The cutting head eventually got dull and I haven't replaced it.
Old 01-28-13, 10:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I skip all shaving when on tour.
Old 01-28-13, 11:40 AM
CarolynBikesUSA

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's looking like most of the comments in here are from men, so I'll just add my two cents from a lady's perspective...

I brought along a couple disposable razors (no shaving cream, as I don't use it at home either) on my last tour, anticipating I'd like to keep my legs shaven, but I'll admit....I maybe used one only once or twice during the 28 days I was on the road. I found I just really didn't care as much as I thought I would! Next time, I think I won't bring any, and if I feel the need to shave, I'll just pop into some drugstore somewhere.
Old 01-28-13, 11:55 AM
k_randomfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stand in the sink.
Old 01-28-13, 12:37 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a safety razor to shave at home, brush, some nice shaving soap and everything. On the road, honestly, I usually just don't shave, but if I'm doing a credit card tour where I have to look nice, I have assembled a nice little toiletry kit.

I carry a Gillette travel razor, a few double edged razor blades (Crystal are my favorites), a travel brush, a few small tubs of shaving soaps, and a few small after shave balms. The whole kit weighs about 6 ounces, and gives me a nice luxurious shave in the morning. So long as I have access to hot water in the morning, it's every bit as nice as that straight razor shave.
Old 01-28-13, 12:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
I let my (admittedly thin) beard grow on a trip 20 years ago and just left it on. So only need a disposable razor and a mini travel shaving cream bottle to do my neck once every X days (3 or 4) so one razor that weighs nothing plus soap does me for weeks and weeks. Could drop the mini shaving cream bottle too if I were to be really weight and space picky, and just use reg soap, but it is smoother shaving with it. To be fair, I do have some small scissors with me too to trim my beard every so often. Doesnt add up to much weight though all told, and one less thing to think about batteries (but as you say, if you have the AA setup already....)
Old 01-28-13, 02:23 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I try to shave (my face) as much as I can on tour as I generally don't like beards. I'm not anal about it, and it will sometimes be days between shaves (overnight trips I don't worry about shaving), but I try to shave when I can.

My shaving regimen is in the middle of a serious re-do, but in the past I used whatever disposable razor I had and Dr. Bronners soap as "cream". It worked pretty well, and it meant I didn't need to bring a dedicated shaving cream. When I did a summer long tour a few years back, I decided to try shaving oil, specifically the Pacific brand stuff. https://www.pacificshaving.com/produc...D2-oz.%29.html It worked pretty well, and it didn't take up much more room in the toiletry kit (1/2 oz). I'll be taking this on my future tours.
Old 01-28-13, 04:31 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use shaving oil, it is much more compact than soap or cream, you only need 3 drops so a small 5cc container lasts me about 3 months. It doesn't dry the skin like soap. For convenience I usually shave in the shower.
Old 01-29-13, 04:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
While as I have said I don't typically shave while on tour, with the mentions of shaving oil, soap, and shaving cream, I thought that I would mention that I have always shaved with just plain water. It seems to work fine and might be a little easier in some situations for those of you who do want to shave on tour. This may be especially true while in more primitive conditions where water consumption is limited the savings in water of not needing to rinse off after a shave might be helpful.
Old 01-29-13, 06:07 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Depends my beard is pretty ugly even grown out so I typically shave every 2-3 days max. My razor of choice is a Rolls Razor no disposable throw away stuff. Bit on the heavy side. I had to stop traveling with it due to TSA not liking it, so I also have a Braun foil type rechargeable, not my favorite shave.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-29-13, 11:26 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've worn a beard for 25 years, but do have to shave my neck and around my cheeks. A Bic disposable razor after a shower or washing does the trick for me. I don't shave my legs.
Old 02-02-13, 04:27 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dovo Shavette disposable blade straight razor.

https://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...940/286096.htm