Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Old 07-23-15, 09:22 AM
  #126  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
Wait, one person on here has said that Fuji is too cheap to buy, because they had a bad experience with their Fuji. There are 4 or 5 people on here that are saying that they have a Fuji, and it is a great bike. If you discounted every bike branc because of one person that had a bad experience with the brand, then you wouldn't be able to buy a bike.

All those of us who have Fuji's are saying is to include it in your road tests, with other brands such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Raleigh, etc.

It sounds like one of two things: 1. You either made up your mind to buy the Trek based on marketing, since you haven't test ridden any bikes. or 2. You're Alias530 with a different userid, that started this thread just so you could bash Fuji. If you're not, then I don't understand why you're listening to him more than 4 or 5 other people that are saying that an intro Fuji bike is just as good as an intro Trek bike.
GH
How many of the people saying "Fuji is a good bike" have owned anything else? Compared to the Walmart bikes they grew up on, it's a great bike. If that's all they know then more power to them, but it's like a blind man picking out his favorite porno when they haven't ridden let alone owned a higher end bike.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 09:26 AM
  #127  
cicatrize
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 227

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
All those of us who have Fuji's are saying is to include it in your road tests, with other brands such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Raleigh, etc.
You can count this Trek rider in the group saying to ride the Fuji too. Ride them all. Find your favorite. Purchase it and be happy.
cicatrize is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 09:30 AM
  #128  
PepeM
Senior Member
 
PepeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,841
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
How do you know that Fuji's frames are inferior? Care to cite any testing either you or someone else have performed?
PepeM is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 09:35 AM
  #129  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
How do you know that Fuji's frames are inferior? Care to cite any testing either you or someone else have performed?
Because a comparable build was 3lbs heavier than the Trek I'm on and it rode like crap by comparison. Seriously you people who are saying Fuji is so great, have you owned a higher end bike? Are you even in a position to comment? Or do you just have a low income and you do everything you can to convince yourself that your Fuji is "good enough"?
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 09:41 AM
  #130  
PepeM
Senior Member
 
PepeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,841
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
I own a Trek, never ridden a Fuji. Was the 3lbs due to the frame? What was 'comparable' in the build? Btw, I think we were trying to compare similarly priced bicycles here, not 'higher end' versus 'low income' bicycles. You say these are (some of) the qualities that make a frame better:

Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
Where to begin... weight, stiffness, aerodynamic, comfort, durability.
Do you have a way to quantify the difference between two similarly priced frames from Trek and Fuji in any of these categories?


I understand you owned a Fuji and now own a Trek, and that you find your Trek a much better bike. Your experience and opinion are valuable to the OP. However, when you begin claiming your experience as 'facts', you might be asked to back those facts up.
PepeM is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 09:47 AM
  #131  
gandrimp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Southern Mo
Posts: 56

Bikes: Trek Stache 6, Surly Disc Trucker, Fuji Sportif 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
Because a comparable build was 3lbs heavier than the Trek I'm on and it rode like crap by comparison. Seriously you people who are saying Fuji is so great, have you owned a higher end bike? Are you even in a position to comment? Or do you just have a low income and you do everything you can to convince yourself that your Fuji is "good enough"?
You sir probably do more harm to this sport/pastime than any I have ever heard anywhere, please go to F1 racing where you will fit right in.
gandrimp is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:06 AM
  #132  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket View Post
You're Alias530 with a different userid, that started this thread just so you could bash Fuji.
GH
ding, ding, ding. Definitely something fishy and trolly going on. But makes for great entertainment
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:09 AM
  #133  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
Where to begin... weight, stiffness, aerodynamic, comfort, durability.

A good frame will be all of those. Bigger companies like Trek can afford more thorough R&D and build up the carbon where it matters to get both a stiff and lightweight frame.
Sure, and like I said I know cat 1 racers who have raced bikes like Supersix and TCRs and open mold Chinese frames that cost 1/5 the price and they can't tell the difference. Trek's R&D eventually trickles down to Fuji and to the chinese factories that actually make Trek's bikes and then make their own frames
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:10 AM
  #134  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
How do you know that Fuji's frames are inferior? Care to cite any testing either you or someone else have performed?
Because he owned one bike with a defect in the bottom bracket that wasn't resolved to his liking so he now has a vendetta against the brand
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:24 AM
  #135  
lyrictenor1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 516

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
Because a comparable build was 3lbs heavier than the Trek I'm on and it rode like crap by comparison. Seriously you people who are saying Fuji is so great, have you owned a higher end bike? Are you even in a position to comment? Or do you just have a low income and you do everything you can to convince yourself that your Fuji is "good enough"?
You probably also think that anyone who prefers mobile devices running Android are too poor to afford iOS devices. According to your logic, you also probably pontificate dogmatically that Apple is the best since it costs more. After all, there must be a reason why Android devices costs less, and "it's not because they're feeling generous."
lyrictenor1 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:24 AM
  #136  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Sure, and like I said I know cat 1 racers who have raced bikes like Supersix and TCRs and open mold Chinese frames that cost 1/5 the price and they can't tell the difference. Trek's R&D eventually trickles down to Fuji and to the chinese factories that actually make Trek's bikes and then make their own frames
McDonald's exists too, for those who can't tell a difference between that and a good burger.

here's an article comparing chinese frames to real ones

Not all frames are created equal. A look deep inside the carbon in counterfeit bikes - VeloNews.com
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:26 AM
  #137  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Because he owned one bike with a defect in the bottom bracket that wasn't resolved to his liking so he now has a vendetta against the brand
You're confusing me with someone else, I had no defect. It just had too many junky parts for how expensive it was and it's misleading to beginners (myself at the time of purchase) to advertise it as an Ultegra bike but only 3 of 8 groupset components are actually Ultegra.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:26 AM
  #138  
exime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this alias530 kid has a screw loose. i actually feel sorry for him. if he's an adult i feel even more sorry for him.
exime is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:28 AM
  #139  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
I own a Trek, never ridden a Fuji. Was the 3lbs due to the frame? What was 'comparable' in the build? Btw, I think we were trying to compare similarly priced bicycles here, not 'higher end' versus 'low income' bicycles. You say these are (some of) the qualities that make a frame better:

Do you have a way to quantify the difference between two similarly priced frames from Trek and Fuji in any of these categories?

I understand you owned a Fuji and now own a Trek, and that you find your Trek a much better bike. Your experience and opinion are valuable to the OP. However, when you begin claiming your experience as 'facts', you might be asked to back those facts up.
I have no idea what the Fuji frame weight was... hard to find standalone weights published for bikes like that.

The Fuji was an Ultegra build, this is a Dura Ace build. The bikes are actually 5lbs different so I was being more than generous by calling it 3lbs. Dura Ace vs Ultegra is only 1/2lb specific to the groupset so when you account for that it's 4.5lbs different. 1lb is in the wheels. The remaining 3.5lbs is frame and cockpit stuff. I'm on the same exact saddle and tires.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:28 AM
  #140  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exime View Post
this alias530 kid has a screw loose. i actually feel sorry for him. if he's an adult i feel even more sorry for him.
And I feel sorry for those who haven't the income or ability to try a quality bike.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:30 AM
  #141  
exime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
And I feel sorry for those who haven't the income or ability to try a quality bike.

I'm actually laughing. rms13 is right. This makes for great entertainment.
exime is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:31 AM
  #142  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
You probably also think that anyone who prefers mobile devices running Android are too poor to afford iOS devices. According to your logic, you also probably pontificate dogmatically that Apple is the best since it costs more. After all, there must be a reason why Android devices costs less, and "it's not because they're feeling generous."
Android phones come in all levels of quality but the top tier ones cost more than Apple phones, so of course I wouldn't say that. If you're talking about some low end "free with upgrade" Android phone vs. an Iphone 6+, then sure, but top Android vs top Apple, the cost is the same or MORE for Android. Personally I don't like Android but not because it's a poverty phone, it's because after owning a few of them I've realized the battery life sucks and the apps aren't as stable.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 10:39 AM
  #143  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
McDonald's exists too, for those who can't tell a difference between that and a good burger.

here's an article comparing chinese frames to real ones

Not all frames are created equal. A look deep inside the carbon in counterfeit bikes - VeloNews.com
That's comparing counterfeit frames to authentic ones, not comparing open mold frames. The article is also written from a biased point of view of magazine that gets advertising money from companies like Specialized. I'm not saying a counterfeit Venge is as good as the real thing but the article is scare tactics to keep people from buying counterfeit stuff. I also do know 3 people that have counterfeit S Works Venge frames that have had no issues and you would be hard pressed to tell they are fakes
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 11:02 AM
  #144  
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N
 
dtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stafford, OR
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exime View Post
I'm actually laughing. rms13 is right. This makes for great entertainment.
Yup - and this forum needed a jester, a la Donald Trump.
__________________
"The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
dtrain is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 11:10 AM
  #145  
PepeM
Senior Member
 
PepeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,841
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
And I feel sorry for those who haven't the income or ability to try a quality bike.
Ability?
PepeM is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 11:52 AM
  #146  
Bathwater
Senior Member
 
Bathwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
You're confusing me with someone else, I had no defect. It just had too many junky parts for how expensive it was and it's misleading to beginners (myself at the time of purchase) to advertise it as an Ultegra bike but only 3 of 8 groupset components are actually Ultegra.
You're being hilariously obtuse here.

Oh hey, what's this? Spesh only hits 3 of 8 on their Rival bike:
Specialized Bicycle Components

And the previous Tarmac I linked only had 105 shifters and the RD.

This bike retails for $3,500. It has a lower tiered cassette and tons of in house components including the saddle, which according to this review is a total asshatchet. OMG SO MUCH JUNKY STUFF WHY CAN'T I HAVE NICE THINGS?!!??
Scott Addict 20 review - BikeRadar USA
Bathwater is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 12:14 PM
  #147  
sw686blue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
You're confusing me with someone else, I had no defect. It just had too many junky parts for how expensive it was and it's misleading to beginners (myself at the time of purchase) to advertise it as an Ultegra bike but only 3 of 8 groupset components are actually Ultegra.
It wasn't misleading. You just didn't do your homework to find out exactly what parts were installed on the bike. Your fault.
sw686blue is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 12:14 PM
  #148  
DreamRider85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamRider85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Alias350 I really really appreciate your candor. I understand that there are a lot of Fuji Owners in this thread, and rightfully so. Everyone will always say their bike is the best. But you have inside information on both brands and I respect that. If they like their bike that is good, but for my particular case, I think you understand what I'm looking for.
DreamRider85 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 12:14 PM
  #149  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bathwater View Post
You're being hilariously obtuse here.

Oh hey, what's this? Spesh only hits 3 of 8 on their Rival bike:
Specialized Bicycle Components

And the previous Tarmac I linked only had 105 shifters and the RD.

This bike retails for $3,500. It has a lower tiered cassette and tons of in house components including the saddle, which according to this review is a total asshatchet. OMG SO MUCH JUNKY STUFF WHY CAN'T I HAVE NICE THINGS?!!??
Scott Addict 20 review - BikeRadar USA
We're not (or at least I'm not) talking about junky low end apex/rival bikes.

At the Ultegra level, it's pretty weak to advertise it as an ultegra bike when less than half of it is such.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-23-15, 12:15 PM
  #150  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Alias350 I really really appreciate your candor. I understand that there are a lot of Fuji Owners in this thread, and rightfully so. Everyone will always say their bike is the best. But you have inside information on both brands and I respect that. If they like their bike that is good, but for my particular case, I think you understand what I'm looking for.
I'm not even saying that Fuji is a bad bike, I'm just saying there's a reason it's cheaper so don't get fooled into thinking you're getting something better than you really are
Alias530 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.