Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Purchasing new bike; Older Used Model or New Model with less features?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 06:19 AM
jgraeff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys!

i have decided its time to buy a new bike. Our family has started riding more together and i would like to use to ti commute to work to get back in shape and work on my health.

I have rode a few i like and started looking for used ones. Bikes in looking at are: Trek Fx, Trek Verve, Giant Escape, Specialized Sirrus, etc

The problem in noticing is that the used bikes are about 80% the cost of a new one even though they're 5 years old.

There is a Trek Fx 7.6 from 2014 that has a lot of upgrades, they want $500 for it, when i can purchase a new Fx3 for $600 ( on sale at my local shop)

Just looking for advice on if the higher end older model would be worth that cost or if i should just buy new.

thanks
Old 03-28-19, 06:50 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It can take a while to find a good deal on a lightly used bike. But consider too that you won't have to pay sales tax. If you have time, just keep looking. Also, asking price does not usually equal actual sale price.

On the other hand a new bike is ready to go now, and dealer service/warranty is included.
Old 03-28-19, 08:16 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
A used bike can be a good value, if you are confident in your ability to assess the condition of that bike, and what it might need. Typically, a 5-year-old midrange to higher end bike won’t need too much unless it’s either been abused or neglected.
Do you know, roughly, the different component groups/ levels?
As far as accessories and ‘upgrades’ go, are they the kind of things you would have added to your bike? Things like helmets, shoes and other ‘soft goods’ have almost no value if they’re not your size, and very little if they’re used. Also, some owners will try to add the full retail price of the accessories to the asking price of the bike. I don’t consider things like grips, saddles or tires to be ‘upgrades’ as these are wear items, and I might have a different preference for those things.
Old 03-28-19, 02:21 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm guessing there's tens of thousands of barely ridden bikes all over the US. Garages are full of bikes with less than a dozed rides. Often, the bikes are department store brands or low end bike shop budget buys. It's not difficult to (with patience) find clean, barely used, mid range and upper range bikes, but the patience part is key. Trek FX and Specialized Sirrus are two VERY popular models. Depending on where you're at in the country, you'll have little trouble finding clean, late model examples. Do your homework and keep a stash of cash at hand. Once the brand, model and equipment level bike comes along, make an offer.

-Kedosto
Old 03-28-19, 02:30 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by jgraeff
There is a Trek Fx 7.6 from 2014 that has a lot of upgrades, they want $500 for it, when i can purchase a new Fx3 for $600 ( on sale at my local shop)
Buying from a bike shop usually gets you a warranty and complimentary service to work any bugs out.
Old 03-29-19, 08:09 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Something else to consider: trickle down technology is a real thing. This year’s mid range group sets, wheels, and often even frames will meet or exceed performance of earlier year’s top line gear.

Also, you need to evaluate the sellers and inspect used bikes to gauge their actual value. Unless you are planning to take a used bike apart and overhaul it, I’d be leery of buying except from a reputable bike store that specializes in reconditioned bikes. Unless you come across a one of those rare treasures. Then all bets are off.

Best of luck! Happy cycling!
Old 03-29-19, 08:22 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
Something else to consider: trickle down technology is a real thing. This year’s mid range group sets, wheels, and often even frames will meet or exceed performance of earlier year’s top line gear.

Also, you need to evaluate the sellers and inspect used bikes to gauge their actual value. Unless you are planning to take a used bike apart and overhaul it, I’d be leery of buying except from a reputable bike store that specializes in reconditioned bikes. Unless you come across a one of those rare treasures. Then all bets are off.

Best of luck! Happy cycling!
I might say that some updates may not offer noticeable advantages to a novice or a rider with casual aspirations.
Old 03-29-19, 08:26 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I would buy brand new ! Enjoy!
Old 03-29-19, 09:43 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jade408

I might say that some updates may not offer noticeable advantages to a novice or a rider with casual aspirations.
Perhaps, but I would counter that everyone, especially casual cyclists, will benifit from faster, smoother, less problematic shifting even if they have nothing to compare the improvements to.

Still, I absolutely agree that there is nothing wrong with old tech in a soundly maintained bike. I’ve got a mid 80s Nishiki International that is a joy to ride! I’ve upgraded the brake pads and brake levers for better braking action, and changed Out the saddle because the original saddle gave up the ghost long ago. It is otherwise in the original configuration.

Cheers!
Old 03-29-19, 09:50 AM
JackTheBikeGuy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older used

older used bike, take it to the shop if u need but it’s worth it.
Old 03-29-19, 09:51 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc

Perhaps, but I would counter that everyone, especially casual cyclists, will benifit from faster, smoother, less problematic shifting even if they have nothing to compare the improvements to.

Still, I absolutely agree that there is nothing wrong with old tech in a soundly maintained bike. I’ve got a mid 80s Nishiki International that is a joy to ride! I’ve upgraded the brake pads and brake levers for better braking action, and changed Out the saddle because the original saddle gave up the ghost long ago. It is otherwise in the original configuration.

Cheers!
2014 to 2019 is pretty close. Especially on the lower end. At least in my opinion. Of course when we are looking at a decade gap then it should be pretty noticeable to everyone.
Old 03-29-19, 10:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
What exactly are all the "Upgrades" on the bike you're looking at?

I realize that the FX 7.6 was an expensive bike a few years ago, but that still is quite a bit for a used Hybrid.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...50&model=58266

Of course, actual condition is everything with a used bike.

Your ultimate decision will depend on how much you are planning to ride the bike, and how competent you feel with your own maintenance.
Old 03-29-19, 10:55 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Don't forget to ask your shop about possibly ordering last year's leftover models. They are often heavily discounted. My leftover '18 Breezer Radar was $700, down from $1100. Good luck!
Old 03-31-19, 03:30 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I would never buy used carbon fiber frame bike, to the untrained eye, and even to a trained eye, damage to the frame is unnoticeable, which is why carbon fiber racing bikes used by pro teams are either mostly destroyed or x-rayed for damaged before selling. I heard that Canyon xrays their pro bikes before selling but there have been reported some frame failures early on by the buyers and Canyon sells the bikes as is with no warranty, so people are out the money.
Old 03-31-19, 03:44 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by jgraeff
Hey guys!

i have decided its time to buy a new bike. Our family has started riding more together and i would like to use to ti commute to work to get back in shape and work on my health.

I have rode a few i like and started looking for used ones. Bikes in looking at are: Trek Fx, Trek Verve, Giant Escape, Specialized Sirrus, etc

The problem in noticing is that the used bikes are about 80% the cost of a new one even though they're 5 years old.

Just looking for advice on if the higher end older model would be worth that cost or if i should just buy new.

thanks
Fairly common bikes such as the ones you referenced should be easily found at 50% off retail in the 4 year old range.
I suggest you definitely keep looking.
Old 04-07-19, 08:03 PM
Ottomotion

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
So many good, hardly used bikes out there.....that's the way I like to buy them.

Swap meets, Cl. auction site