Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 02-20-20, 06:54 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Finally found a new job. After giving up on finding something out of state I focused back to local companies. The new gig comes with a big raise and I wont have to be a manager anymore, im just waiting to hear back from my new boss to nail down a start date

Which of course means more bike stuff in the very near future
Old 02-20-20, 08:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My 600lb Life is one of those shows that really makes me feel a lot better about my situation in life.

That said, I once had a 48oz steak for dinner. Then had cheesecake for dessert. So, I know what it's like to eat a lot.
Old 02-20-20, 09:45 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My 600lb Life is one of those shows that really makes me feel a lot better about my situation in life.

That said, I once had a 48oz steak for dinner. Then had cheesecake for dessert. So, I know what it's like to eat a lot.
It mostly makes me sad for them. So many of them have a ton of trauma or other psychological problems.
Old 02-20-20, 09:47 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
It mostly makes me sad for them. So many of them have a ton of trauma or other psychological problems.
I'm in this camp. I can't watch the show. It's like watching someone kill themselves with drugs, but in the opposite direction.
Old 02-20-20, 10:00 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My Step Father sent me cookies for my birthday. Ate 3, and the rest went to work.

I tell everyone about cycling and my strict diet, and people still send food. Its always, 'One thing isn't going to hurt you'...but the then you get events you're obligated to attend on top of that. I do well counting calories at home, but have no discipline at restaurants or when there is a buffet of food present. Every 5 minutes I have to convince myself not to eat that appetizer, and it never lasts.

5 lbs off race weight. I go to the UK on vacation on Saturday so will probably come back 8 over. I'm going to work out while over there and limit my intake at the hotels buffet, planes, etc but we're probably going to eat out at very nice places and I'm not going to track calories for those. Its probably going to kill March and April for racing, and quite frankly I wish racing wasn't on my mind because its going to ruin the experience.
Old 02-20-20, 10:26 AM
Cypress

That's future FF's problem.
Old 02-20-20, 10:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Leaving Puerto Rico today. As much as I hate time away from training it was fun being away from New England in mid 80s weather. I also am afraid of the weight gain lol we went to the Bacardi facility and did a mixology class so I’ve had a lot of rum based drinks
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-20-20, 11:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's what makes it so satisfying when they break through and start following the program and confront their demons. You see them go from just barely being alive to actually having a life and doing fun stuff with others. The dude who would go out and play catch with his step son while he was in a wheelchair was one. He eventually got out of the chair and the kid was stoked.
The opposite also happens when they fail. It is sad then like watching a drug addict go down.
Old 02-20-20, 12:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This is really random, but does anybody know anyone that has no clue that they don't speak with what most people would consider "normal inflections" to their speech? Or folks who do not have a knack at all for being able to phrase things?

Like:
Son pops in side door, first words to his brother "why you doing that over there!?" I go to correct him "why don't you ask him what he's doing?". Wife said not to correct him, the origin of the habit herself. It wasn't the words he chose, it sounded like one brother trying to correct the other. Place the inflections on different syllables or words and it might come off a little nicer. Also, he's 10, he knows the difference between "what" and "why".

Or popular in our household "what are you doing that for, no" instead of "hey, do you mind if we unload the dishes when we get back".

Drives me bananas sometimes.
Old 02-20-20, 12:30 PM
Cypress

My wife is pretty bad at that. If I'm about to head somewhere (store, etc) I'll get a sharp "what are you doing?" with an emphasis on the "doing". It comes across as "what the HELL do you think you're doing?!" and then she gets confused when I get defensive or cautious with my reply.
Old 02-20-20, 12:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Yeah, and they genuinely don't know they do it. So, there isn't any ill intent at all, but the learned behavior from growing up around someone is still there.

My wife has zero clue why anyone would be bothered, because her intent isn't the same as when someone says it who means it.

It's just weird.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-20-20, 01:01 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I might have that and not know it. I genuinely want to know things, but sometimes come off unintentionally accusatory. Usually, that happens more in my writing of e-mails (like another person on the chain will be like, "why are you being so aggressive") rather than in my speaking (at least no one has said anything to me about my speaking).

My daughter has that thing where every utterance ends on an upnote like it's a question, even when it's not. I'd love to figure out how to break her of that habit without coming off like a nag.
Old 02-20-20, 02:29 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
My Step Father sent me cookies for my birthday. Ate 3, and the rest went to work.

I tell everyone about cycling and my strict diet, and people still send food. Its always, 'One thing isn't going to hurt you'...but the then you get events you're obligated to attend on top of that. I do well counting calories at home, but have no discipline at restaurants or when there is a buffet of food present. Every 5 minutes I have to convince myself not to eat that appetizer, and it never lasts.

5 lbs off race weight. I go to the UK on vacation on Saturday so will probably come back 8 over. I'm going to work out while over there and limit my intake at the hotels buffet, planes, etc but we're probably going to eat out at very nice places and I'm not going to track calories for those. Its probably going to kill March and April for racing, and quite frankly I wish racing wasn't on my mind because its going to ruin the experience.
If you aren't renting a car and aren't taking the cab that often, it's a good bet that you won't come back 8 over. For one thing, it's extraordinarily difficult to pack on 8 pounds even in one week. You might not even come back 2 pounds over, though you may lose a bit of muscle (so that x kg after the trip isn't the same as x kg prior to trip, in terms of body composition).

When we were in the Netherlands, we must have walked at least a good 2-2.5 miles a day. I did 2x bodyweight work during the trip as well. It's not a lot, but it helps. We didn't really count calories and ate our fair share of stroopwafels, Christmas specialties, cheeses, etc. Came back about the same mass, but did lose a slight bit in terms of fitness (say 5-7 W off of FTP).

That said, taking a trip when training for racing is hard. If there's one benefit to no longer participating in mass start racing, it's that i'm a lot less overwrought when it comes to peccadilloes when it comes to regimented eating.
Old 02-20-20, 03:45 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by echappist
If you aren't renting a car and aren't taking the cab that often, it's a good bet that you won't come back 8 over. For one thing, it's extraordinarily difficult to pack on 8 pounds even in one week. You might not even come back 2 pounds over, though you may lose a bit of muscle (so that x kg after the trip isn't the same as x kg prior to trip, in terms of body composition).

When we were in the Netherlands, we must have walked at least a good 2-2.5 miles a day. I did 2x bodyweight work during the trip as well. It's not a lot, but it helps. We didn't really count calories and ate our fair share of stroopwafels, Christmas specialties, cheeses, etc. Came back about the same mass, but did lose a slight bit in terms of fitness (say 5-7 W off of FTP).

That said, taking a trip when training for racing is hard. If there's one benefit to no longer participating in mass start racing, it's that i'm a lot less overwrought when it comes to peccadilloes when it comes to regimented eating.
Speak for yourself, but I can put that much weight on in a week, no problem. In fact, I've done it.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-20-20, 06:29 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can do that in a day.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-21-20, 06:31 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm pretty sure I can do that in a day.
I've definitely seen 6 pound swings in a day. Not sure I could reach 8.

Challenge is not accepted.
Old 02-24-20, 03:07 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Finally found a new job. After giving up on finding something out of state I focused back to local companies. The new gig comes with a big raise and I wont have to be a manager anymore, im just waiting to hear back from my new boss to nail down a start date

Which of course means more bike stuff in the very near future
Put my 2 week notice in today. I start the new job on March 9th

Old 02-27-20, 01:39 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
just an update on a previous post of getting into python to work with bike data. I've made some more headway using Django and fit files rather than Strava at the moment. I'm able to upload fit files with a web interface, and then the code can return values like NP, TSS, IF (right now using a fixed FTP value, I haven't gone as far as making a user profile where I can set FTP for different dates), but definitely have the foundations of a PMC. My current hurdle is getting a fit file, which has thousands of rows of data, into a single database entry to do individual ride analysis. Again, all this just to reinvent the wheel of PMC stuff that I already have for free lol

I started a github in the hopes of getting other cycling nerds to come together and share code/ideas to make it easier for newbies to overcome early hurdles, I'll be happy to share if anyone is interested in contributing
Old 02-29-20, 08:48 PM
big john

Avoided the hammerfest today and went into the local mountains with some like-minded individuals.

Likes For big john:
Old 03-02-20, 09:18 AM
Cypress

If anyone wants guaranteed bad weather at their race this year, just get me to sat "yeah, I signed up for that." Last Saturday was called because of low attendance, now this Saturday is looking pretty crappy.

I'm about to pull the plug on my Airbnb for this race. It'd suck to eat the reservation cost if the race gets called off due to ice or lack of entrants.

Old 03-02-20, 08:49 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Sorry about the bad weather luck this year for you Cypress.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-02-20, 09:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by cmh
Sorry about the bad weather luck this year for you Cypress.
+1, that sucks.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-03-20, 09:28 AM
Cypress

I canceled the Airbnb. At least doing so takes the self expectation off of my shoulders.
Old 03-03-20, 09:50 AM
Flatballer
No matches

This has been a terrible winter for being sick in my family.

Usually my wife and are pretty okay, and the kids are mostly fine.

My kids have been sick constantly, and my wife and I haven't been much better. Kids got a bad stomach bug that took them out Saturday and Saturday night. Wife started the same yesterday. I started this morning. Actually had to take the day off, which is rare.
Old 03-05-20, 12:44 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Almost every time I give money to somewhere I regret it.

We made our donations last year, nothing major, but our biggest was a whopping $400 to Heifer. They've called me no less than 5 times since then, and sent probably 5 or 6 mailers.

I keep telling them, I'll probably donate again at the end of the year, when there's a big match, please stop.

I gave like $25 to my university many years ago when I first graduated. They still bother me constantly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.