Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My $30 eBay Light Setup.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My $30 eBay Light Setup.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 08:47 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
My $30 eBay Light Setup.

I purchased these lights on eBay along with the accessory bar they are mounted on. When the lights arrived, I charged and tested them for duration. I gave up at 2.5 hours of run time and turned them off. Not bad for $20. We will see how long they last. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rechargeabl...72.m2749.l2649

I also bought the accessory bar you see here to mount them on, mostly to get them high enough to clear my bag. It was easy to mount and is extremely light weight. Here is the link for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Flashl...72.m2749.l2649

Like I said, I have about $30 in this set up including the taxes.

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 03-08-20, 07:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I bought a cheap Ebay light that has no battery, instead it has a USB cord, you can plug into a power bank. I found that some of the smaller cheap power banks can't supply enough current to it, need a better power bank. When you first plug it in it is off, press once for high power (about 1.2 amps), a second press for low power (0.24 amps) and there is a flash mode that I never use on the third push, fourth push for off. (I measured these current flow rates at the USB cord, that data not provided by manufacturer.)

Flashlight type of beam, round, not low and flat like the better bike lights. Uses a small elastic to hold onto handlebar. I carry it when bike touring, carry in handlebar bag where it is convenient to get out and attach if I need it, the power bank is in the handlebar bag too. Touring I almost never use a headlight on the bike, so having a small cheap light comes in handy that I can use in the rare chance that I think I need it.

The one I got is like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-...-/333345881598
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-08-20, 08:12 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Is it permanently attached to that bar? Could it be rigged up to a GoPro mount?
Old 03-08-20, 09:37 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by pennpaul
Is it permanently attached to that bar? Could it be rigged up to a GoPro mount?
The bar beneath it is the battery. The bar below that is the mount bar.
Old 03-09-20, 08:01 PM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Now move your bag so you can see at night.
Old 03-09-20, 08:29 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
Now move your bag so you can see at night.
It's fine the way it is. At least it was the other night.
Old 03-09-20, 08:35 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I bought a cheap Ebay light that has no battery, instead it has a USB cord, you can plug into a power bank. I found that some of the smaller cheap power banks can't supply enough current to it, need a better power bank. When you first plug it in it is off, press once for high power (about 1.2 amps), a second press for low power (0.24 amps) and there is a flash mode that I never use on the third push, fourth push for off. (I measured these current flow rates at the USB cord, that data not provided by manufacturer.)

Flashlight type of beam, round, not low and flat like the better bike lights. Uses a small elastic to hold onto handlebar. I carry it when bike touring, carry in handlebar bag where it is convenient to get out and attach if I need it, the power bank is in the handlebar bag too. Touring I almost never use a headlight on the bike, so having a small cheap light comes in handy that I can use in the rare chance that I think I need it.

The one I got is like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-...-/333345881598
I ordered a couple of those. When they come in, I'll try them out. Thanks for the tip. With my dual usb output 8000mah batteries, it should last quite a while. The good thing about those you mentioned is you never have to worry about losing the internal battery.
Old 03-10-20, 06:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I ordered a couple of those. When they come in, I'll try them out. Thanks for the tip. With my dual usb output 8000mah batteries, it should last quite a while. The good thing about those you mentioned is you never have to worry about losing the internal battery.
Happy to help. The reason that I got it was for bike touring with my S&S coupled bike, I have to completely disassemble and re-assemble the bike after flying somewhere with it. And on previous tours I spent the time to install a headlight on the bike (dynohub powered) that I never used. So, starting with my last tour I decided to not spend the time and hassle of installing a light on the bike, instead just carry a small one in case I need it for a tunnel or for an evening ride from a pub. My dynohub was only used for USB battery charging, much simpler that way.

Regarding power usage, at high power setting at 1.2 amps, that is about 6 watts at USB 5v. Your 8 amp hour battery (assuming 3.7v for Li Ion) is roughly 30 watt hours. So, on high power one light from full to empty on your battery would only last five hours. I rarely use my light, I bought it for touring when I almost never use it, but when I have I only used it on low power.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-10-20 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 01:43 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I take a head mounted Petzval lamp when I tour so I can see around camp at night. I use it if I ride at night too. Simple, light weight and does double duty.
Likes For nun: