Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sell as a Complete or Part out? advice?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-18-20, 02:25 AM
Hoffa626

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, KHS Urban-X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am curious as to which would be a better solution in selling my used bike. Should I sell it as a complete or part it out on eBay? It has always seemed to me that selling used higher end bicycles has a very limited audience. Not considering wrench time, would it generally be more profitable to sell a bike part by part???
Old 04-18-20, 06:42 AM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Having parted out many motorcycles over the years I can tell you that after selling the pretty parts you'll be left with a carcass nobody will want. Wrench time is fun time so that really doesn't factor in. If the bike is an expensive one with all top shelf components you may have better luck. A majority of buyers will not buy non-functioning items so you will end up narrowing your prospective customer base. Good luck to you.
Old 04-18-20, 06:59 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
It not only depends on "higher end", it depends on what you got. What you got?
Old 04-18-20, 07:23 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoffa626
I am curious as to which would be a better solution in selling my used bike. Should I sell it as a complete or part it out on eBay? It has always seemed to me that selling used higher end bicycles has a very limited audience. Not considering wrench time, would it generally be more profitable to sell a bike part by part???
I’ve made more money parting out and eBaying, but it’s a lot of work. I think you have to enjoy the process. The other upside is not having to pack and ship an entire bike - shipping a stripped frame, a wheelset or smaller parts much easier. The problem with selling a whole bike is that your potential customer base is limited to those who want that specific size and that specific bike, or specific frame/component combination. Break it down to individual parts and the customer base for each part becomes larger