Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

UCI frame logo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

UCI frame logo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 11:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkwaffles
So, I filed a police report and did exactly what you stated. He refused to refund and said he didn't care if I reported him to Canyon/Zipp as he is a private individual that big companies wouldn't waste their time/resources on. I was also contacted by the police last night. They basically explained that there wasn't anything they could do as it was a private sale and my only option was to take him to court over a civil dispute..
The guy is clearly a D-Bag. It wouldn't surprise me if he does this sort of scam frequently. Next time you see him post a something like the one that got you, I'd post a scam alert linking to his post with his name and any other info you have

https://gladiknow.com/index-people/A...aines-City-FL#
Old 05-06-20, 12:19 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I wonder how many people are riding around on fakes out there and don't even know it? There has to be a large percentage of bike buyers who would never pay attention to some of the details in this thread.
Old 05-06-20, 12:27 PM
sharkwaffles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I wonder how many people are riding around on fakes out there and don't even know it? There has to be a large percentage of bike buyers who would never pay attention to some of the details in this thread.
A lot probably. Like I said, I rode the thing for 2 weeks before realizing it. Got fitted on it and everything. I wonder if the fitter realized it. Maybe he did but just didn't want to be the bearer of the bad news.lol
Old 05-06-20, 12:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Things could be much much worse.

The next bike you find on facebook and hand over $2500 cash for in a parking lot without seeing proof of purchase will probably be stolen.
I don't have proof of purchase for my bike. But then it's not for sale.
Old 05-06-20, 01:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts

Zipps are fake also.
Old 05-06-20, 02:29 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by GlennR

Zipps are fake also.
yeah, it’s already been pointed out.
Old 05-06-20, 02:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noodle soup
yeah, it’s already been pointed out.
Guess i'm just late to the game.

It's a shame that this happens.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-06-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 02:35 PM
sharkwaffles

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

It's a same that this happens.
I took all the Zipp stickers off so at least the wheels aren't misrepresented. Unfortunately the Canyon logos are part of the paint scheme. Maybe i'll paint the frame black so it at least looks like the Chinese knock off that it is.
Old 05-06-20, 02:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by sharkwaffles
I took all the Zipp stickers off so at least the wheels aren't misrepresented. Unfortunately the Canyon logos are part of the paint scheme. Maybe i'll paint the frame black so it at least looks like the Chinese knock off that it is.
I would of left them and just been straight up that it's a knockoff. The new owner could decide on removing them or not.
Old 05-06-20, 02:39 PM
noodle soup

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-06-20, 02:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by noodle soup
What the **** are you talking about?

Seriously, i never watched the movie, but thanks for the link.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-06-20 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of banned words to bypass the forum censor.
Old 05-06-20, 03:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have been thinking about this deal all day. Man I feel bad for you!

I think if it were me, I wouldn't try to sell it even if I disclose what it was. I wouldn't want it in circulation. I don't know if your have an indoor set up but I would put it on that and use it for a training bike. I don't think I could sell it even if the party knows its fake then take the risk of it again being resold and the circle continues. I know its not on you if that happens.

The really sad thing is, the bike probably is a really nice ride if deemed safe. Its still nice looking too!
Old 05-06-20, 03:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Isn't there a entire Chinarello topic?

Maybe post there since not all of their bikes ASSploded.
Old 05-06-20, 05:36 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
So ignoring the guys time, what's the profit on a scam like this?
Old 05-06-20, 05:46 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by znomit
So ignoring the guys time, what's the profit on a scam like this?
Ifs funny you ask this. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a mech at a large bike shop chain. I asked him if a person had good connections and showed him the pictures I asked him too the money to be had assuming all the shimano parts are legit.

My friend said $1000 or maybe more assuming he got $2500 for it. Said the frame and fake wheels with decals you could potential source for $1000 and the ultegra group and others. $1500 or so.
Seems like a lot of work for but if your not working and have the connections I guess why not if you can make some cash.
Old 05-06-20, 05:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Ifs funny you ask this. I was talking to a friend of mine who was a mech at a large bike shop chain. I asked him if a person had good connections and showed him the pictures I asked him too the money to be had assuming all the shimano parts are legit.

My friend said $1000 or maybe more assuming he got $2500 for it. Said the frame and fake wheels with decals you could potential source for $1000 and the ultegra group and others. $1500 or so.
Seems like a lot of work for but if your not working and have the connections I guess why not if you can make some cash.
The problem is, these fakes might be made by the factory that makes the real thing. I can't imagine someone making these one off in their basement. Most bike companies don't make the frames themselves... they farm it out to China. It's quite possible that that factory is making them with cheaper materials, but the same molds. I know that China is making and selling exact copies of Weber IDF carbs without the Weber name on them. The QC is night and day different.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-06-20, 06:09 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
The problem is, these fakes might be made by the factory that makes the real thing.
Probably not in this case as the OP says steerer tube is 1 1/8” at top. Canyons have 1 1/4” iirc.

I was actually reading a similar case and the mention of how the seat stays were bowing out at the direct mount holes when rear brake was squeezed made me
Old 05-06-20, 06:12 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
The problem is, these fakes might be made by the factory that makes the real thing. I can't imagine someone making these one off in their basement. Most bike companies don't make the frames themselves... they farm it out to China. It's quite possible that that factory is making them with cheaper materials, but the same molds. I know that China is making and selling exact copies of Weber IDF carbs without the Weber name on them. The QC is night and day different.
Yes, most bike brands outsource their frame production, but the knocks off are not made in the same factory as the real thing...by doing so, the factory risks losing very lucrative contracts by undermining the brands that they are producing the frames for. And I guarantee you those contracts are worth a lot more than what they can make selling knockoffs on the black market. The knockoffs are produced in 3rd-tier factories, that have no affiliation with the real brands. There was a podcast with the owner of Factor that covered this topic.

Even if it was the same factory, with the same mold, you nailed the real reason to stay away from knockoffs...there is zero QC to back them up.
Old 05-06-20, 06:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
And sometimes the knockoffs differ from the legit frames in small-but-significant ways. Several of the aero frames use a different seatpost wedge arrangement, for example. That's enough to know that they don't come from the exact same mold, however close they are.
Old 05-06-20, 07:52 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And sometimes the knockoffs differ from the legit frames in small-but-significant ways. Several of the aero frames use a different seatpost wedge arrangement, for example. That's enough to know that they don't come from the exact same mold, however close they are.
Also need to be clear that we're talking about dodgy counterfeit productions here.

There's 2 grades of kit you can get from China. The legitimate companies that may have big brand contracts but also produce their own stuff - like Light Bicycle, Superteam, Yeoleo, Yishun bike etc - These guys often build great quality kit using the same materials and manufacturing processes and QC's as the brand names they build for (and some don't contract build, but stand by their own product). Generally you pay more than rock bottom China prices for these but significantly less than western prices due to manufacturing cost and bulk material access.

Then you have the multitudes of mobs that build frames and kit like the OP gear. No regard to counterfiet laws, no real R&D into the products they procude, recycled "off cuts" of materials in order to lower cost, skipping considerable QC tests etc. It can be a minefield if you don't know what to look for when buying from china. I refuse to buy off Ali for this reason and tend to stay to the official websites of the well known trusted brands
Old 05-07-20, 04:21 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Only thing not fake on that bike are the tires and groupset
Sorry for your luck, as you say, lesson learned
Old 05-08-20, 02:06 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
In case you don't manage to get the money back, I think I'd look for an expert to check if the frame and wheels are safe. If they're deemed safe, I would just ride the bike and try to forget the bad experience.

Also a personal recommendation: don't buy a second hand bike without proof of purchase. I made that mistake with a Brompton and I found it was stolen in another country. I managed to get the money back at least.

Last edited by Amt0571; 05-08-20 at 02:11 AM.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 05-08-20, 10:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
In case you don't manage to get the money back, I think I'd look for an expert to check if the frame and wheels are safe. If they're deemed safe, I would just ride the bike and try to forget the bad experience.

Also a personal recommendation: don't buy a second hand bike without proof of purchase. I made that mistake with a Brompton and I found it was stolen in another country. I managed to get the money back at least.

Do a lot of people keep their receipts from years ago?
I've bought dozens of bikes...like truly many dozens and never thought to ask for a sales receipt.
I've also sold dozens of bikes and wouldnt begin to have the sales receipts for them. Of the 12 bikes in our garage right now, I could prove that 3 frames were purchased by me. 0 bikes could be proven. Most were builds from a frame, even the bikes my kids use, so then what?

Demanding a receipt is just limiting what's available for sale.
Old 05-09-20, 01:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do a lot of people keep their receipts from years ago?
I've bought dozens of bikes...like truly many dozens and never thought to ask for a sales receipt.
I've also sold dozens of bikes and wouldnt begin to have the sales receipts for them. Of the 12 bikes in our garage right now, I could prove that 3 frames were purchased by me. 0 bikes could be proven. Most were builds from a frame, even the bikes my kids use, so then what?

Demanding a receipt is just limiting what's available for sale.
I keep all receipts of my bikes and the upgrades I made to them, and I know I'm not the only one.

I understand what you're saying, however, I tend not to trust second hand bikes as I've found too many people trying to scam others (stolen bikes, defective frames etc) . Buying bikes from people who keep the receipts reduces the risk of being scammed enormously, so I decided to do exactly this.
Old 05-09-20, 04:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I have all the paperwork/receipts for all my major bike stuff. I don't keep little stuff but bikes, wheels, major components you bet I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.