Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 05-09-20, 06:25 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
@Hermes - San Onofre State park and trestles open again. Bathrooms closed and trail is packed with surfers and ebikes. Just an FYI.
Thanks Doge. We will ride Camp Pendleton to San Clemente tomorrow.
Old 05-09-20, 06:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Thanks Doge. We will ride Camp Pendleton to San Clemente tomorrow.
I do NOT know if Pendleton is open (to other than military).

Edit: Buddy said it works. Pendleton open with the ID (which I expect you have).

For everyone else - a Marine base on the SoCal coast between Oceanside (San Diego County) and San Clemente (Orange County). Great riding.

Last edited by Doge; 05-09-20 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 07:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
We have the ID. We rode through CP a couple of weeks ago and stopped at San Onofre Beach South Gate and turned around.
Old 05-09-20, 07:40 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
The multi-generational competitive group rides are increasing in S OC.

Certainly it is hard to define, but more racing IMO than virtual stuff. Also funny as the old grass roots sprint to the light, or the sign at the top of the hill are once again significant.

I'd call it racing. I don't know why it would't be.
Same around here. A lot of people in worse shape than me are out in group rides, etc. and our Saturday hammer ride was fairly well populated.

If I was single I may join them. Since my wife is COVID 19 coordinator for a fairly big company, she gets to hear the deaths and cases, so were a bit more precautious than others. I spoke with her about my 'plan' to get back out there. I'm going to see how things are 2-3 weeks after reopening to go back out there.
Old 05-17-20, 07:56 PM
Doge

Junior and some of the LUX kids are going mountain climbing soon (using their feet). Some of the LUX alum are doing huge power.
Today after 4 hours junior hit 1,600 (hub) did 1,200/20 sec. Another hit 2,000W a few weeks ago. Some of the old great racers are mentoring the 20 somethings now. The 20 somethings are coaching some even more talented juniors.

The impact is nobody gets to say who won. Just a bunch of power comparisons. And hiking for fun. Most the USA kids will still exit a pro carrier and choose college, but wow - power and talent is so so high right now.
Old 05-18-20, 12:34 PM
furiousferret

Everyone is putting in big miles around here, no real reason not to, weather is good, races may or may not happen.

Anything outside of the top 5 sports going to college is always the better call. Being an 'average' pro cyclist is going to put you 10 years behind in life and if you're lucky you'll get a coaching service or a mid level paying industry job out of it.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 05-19-20, 09:51 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
USAC should return some of the license fees paid. If they offered to return mine, I would give it to them as a donation. I only point this out since we are all donating our license fees to USAC. I see little value this season...yet but I am sympathetic to the USAC employees and feel they should be paid, if possible. USAC revenues must be a disaster.
A good idea, but maybe not feasible. USAC itself isn't a non-profit, so probably not set up to take donations.

USACF (USA Cycling Foundation) is a 501c3 but if all the donations go there, they'll have way too much money to support olympics and youth development and nothing to run the actual headquarters of USAC part.
Old 05-19-20, 10:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
USAC is a non-profit. And here are their recent financial records: https://www.usacycling.org/index.php...al-information

Looks like about 42% of their revenue comes from membership fees, while about 44.5% comes from races fees and events. And given the information shared during the USAC webinar about implementing social distancing at races, it seems very unlikely that any races will happen this year. If that's the case, we can assume USAC is looking at probably a 50% drop in revenue this year. (This is a guess on my part. I know some events did occur before the pandemic shut things down, so they did not lose all of their race revenue, but I am guessing they are losing at least 90 percent of it, plus I am expecting that membership revenue will also be down some as not everyone joins or renews at the start of the year.)

I know USAC announced they had furloughed quite a bit of staff to cut costs, and membership and event services seem to account for about half their costs, so I suspect costs will be down quite a bit too. Still, I'm not sure they could afford to refund membership fees and continue operating beyond this year.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-19-20, 10:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Weird, not sure why their website showed me it wasn't. I thought it was strange. Thanks for the correction.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-19-20, 12:02 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I kind of view my membership fee is going to supporting it so it will be around next year.
Same way I am paying for membership to my climbing gym. It goes to support the staff, and hopefully gym will get through this so I can resume climbing after work. Once this is over.
Likes For UmneyDurak:
Old 05-19-20, 01:48 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I kind of view my membership fee is going to supporting it so it will be around next year.
Same way I am paying for membership to my climbing gym. It goes to support the staff, and hopefully gym will get through this so I can resume climbing after work. Once this is over.
Same. We've "wasted" some money on various memberships (local zoo, gymnastics class, etc). The gymnastics charged us for the month but then stopped, which seemed fair.

The zoo has been a pain, because we pay yearly, so that's fine, we're supporting them right now, but because they have no actual income from tickets, and their costs are I guess relatively fixed regardless of attendance, they're constantly asking us for donations. Which seems, somehow, wrong to me. I'm already paying you a good bit of money to not go to your zoo, go find money somewhere else.
Old 05-20-20, 03:13 PM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
The zoo has been a pain, because we pay yearly, so that's fine, we're supporting them right now, but because they have no actual income from tickets, and their costs are I guess relatively fixed regardless of attendance, they're constantly asking us for donations. Which seems, somehow, wrong to me. I'm already paying you a good bit of money to not go to your zoo, go find money somewhere else.
Massively cheaper to get more money from existing donators than acquire brand new folks to contribute to the cause.
Old 05-20-20, 04:55 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
Massively cheaper to get more money from existing donators than acquire brand new folks to contribute to the cause.
If I had donated in the past I'd get it. But we haven't, we just bought a family membership for a year or two. It wasn't a donation so much as advance ticket sales to save us money basically.
Old 05-20-20, 09:19 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
If I had donated in the past I'd get it. But we haven't, we just bought a family membership for a year or two. It wasn't a donation so much as advance ticket sales to save us money basically.
This year, for Christmas, I bought the kids season passes to the local amusement park for the first time ever (we'd only gone once before and I was suffering a major leg injury, so we were very limited in our time there). Pretty much regretting that now, unless they decide to refund everyone (something I doubt as I bet they're really hurting).
Old 05-21-20, 07:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Same. We've "wasted" some money on various memberships (local zoo, gymnastics class, etc). The gymnastics charged us for the month but then stopped, which seemed fair.

You're in their mailing list. That's why they contact you.

Europe passed pretty strict laws about email communications and when companies and organizations can solicit people via email or text. The laws are so strict, most US operations opted to comply, just in case. Since you're on the mail list, from having bought passes in the past, they are clear to contact you.
Old 05-21-20, 07:53 AM
Doge

I started looking for races within 200 miles - San Diego to Santa Barbara before June 15. I found the Long Beach Criterium Series - race 6.
Nice to know we had registrations in Jan, but there is nothing recent.

Any SoCal folks know if this is happening or of other secret races?

Old 05-23-20, 12:17 PM
Doge

Junior is climbing mountain on foot with some of the other LUX alumni. 1-2 were doing the pro thing.
Old 05-26-20, 05:51 PM
furiousferret

There was an Everesting group ride this weekend. About 30 came out and only a handful everested. Wanted to go out there but no way would I try to Everest, lol.
Old 05-27-20, 11:35 AM
Doge

We are rebuilding the MASI (<12# with Di2 steel spindle and RD) for junior to go do some mountain climbing and see if he can grab some KOMs. I'm interested and surprised he thinks he has a chance. He is ~30-40# heavier than his climbing days. We get to build the bike anyway, and that is fun.
Old 05-27-20, 11:41 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Pandemic is over, I guess. My son and I were winding up a 15 mile hike yesterday and he got a flurry of urgent texts. The studio he's working for is moving suddenly and he got called into the city. We had a few weeks of activities planned that came to an abrupt halt. Triaged packing, loaded his car, and sent him on his way to the apartment this morning. I can commiserate with doing things together being fun. We got a few solid hikes in, and maybe he'll be back after the move before business picks up.
Old 05-27-20, 12:58 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
There was an Everesting group ride this weekend. About 30 came out and only a handful everested. Wanted to go out there but no way would I try to Everest, lol.
Do you know Vireo on BF? I wonder if he was there, he's done several of those things. Personally, I can't think of a more boring, tedious thing to do on a bike. And no, I couldn't do it.
Old 05-27-20, 01:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Pandemic is over, I guess. My son and I were winding up a 15 mile hike yesterday and he got a flurry of urgent texts. The studio he's working for is moving suddenly and he got called into the city. We had a few weeks of activities planned that came to an abrupt halt. Triaged packing, loaded his car, and sent him on his way to the apartment this morning. I can commiserate with doing things together being fun. We got a few solid hikes in, and maybe he'll be back after the move before business picks up.
Good to hear, hadn't heard yet.
Old 05-27-20, 08:12 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Do you know Vireo on BF? I wonder if he was there, he's done several of those things. Personally, I can't think of a more boring, tedious thing to do on a bike. And no, I couldn't do it.
Doing it virtually on zwift. lol
Old 05-27-20, 08:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Doing it virtually on zwift. lol
Didn't think of that.
Old 05-27-20, 09:37 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by big john
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.