Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ordering from Europe

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ordering from Europe

Old 06-12-20, 10:07 PM
tfbike 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ordering from Europe

I hope I can do this without causing problems. I am in the same boat as deux jambes. Ordered a poster from Serbia (Campy) May 13th. Still not here, and today (June 12th) is the last "expected" date. I did get a reply from seller, tracking number shows in Serbia still, in May. Seller offered to refund, but I do want the poster. I bought some hubs from a different seller, in Serbia last year, no problems, took about two weeks. So who knows? Give it a few more days I guess.
Old 06-12-20, 11:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd give it a couple more weeks. Postal services are swamped with extra parcels due to many people ordering online rather than shopping brick and mortar stores for a lot of stuff.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-13-20, 12:06 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
tfbike , I ordered parts from Europe late April and I just received them today. You'll get it.
Old 06-13-20, 03:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
ordered some gloves from merlin three weeks ago (based in england, i believe). took about a week. relatively quick considering everything afoot in the world + the repercussions.

if you're in a rush, this is not the time to be banking on international, or domestic, shipping to be lightning fast. perhaps support your lbs for a few dollars more vs being miffy at current delivery speeds.
Old 06-13-20, 03:41 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Repro decals from Bulgaria ebay seller April 28 arrived three days ago.

A few parcels from the UK similar latency.
Old 06-13-20, 04:13 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Purchased, through Ebay and shipped from Hungary on May 3 rd. Seller waited five days before shipping an envelope. Supposed to arrive between May 14 to May 25. Emailed the seller, last week, and was told to be patient, due to the Covid19 pandemic. I am still waiting...

Needless to say, I am not pleased but will try to be patient.
Old 06-13-20, 06:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,776 Times in 1,405 Posts
covid has created shipping delays literally for everything worldwide. But even prior to covid, patience is needed for anything overseas. Sometimes it took a week, sometimes 6. I couldn;t see a rhyme or reason.

If my back was against the wall, I'd have a conversation with the seller saying on the last possible day, I would open an ebay/paypal claim of non-delivery. Knowing that process takes time, I would cancel it if the item arrives. Only once in hundreds of purchases the item didn't arrive.
Old 06-13-20, 08:00 AM
RandoGeezer
Paris Brest Paris

Bikes: Spectrum custom. Terraferma Corsa 650B. New Albion. 1942 Ravat. Fuji carbon. Kona Rove gravel.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a vintage bike on eBay May 8th. I am in USA. Bike was/is in France. The French postal system tracking claims it left France on 18-May. The US Postal Service shows, for the same tracking number, "Label Created, not yet in system." I'm curious where it is right now. In a customs warehouse? On a ship? It's frustrating not having any more details of the location or movement of the box.
Old 06-13-20, 08:20 AM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have ordered a vintage road frame, some odds and ends and a couple components from a few European countries. During Covid, they all have various delays. Holland was the longest, Poland not too bad and France in between. The UK is still pretty quick. If your item goes through a NY ICS than it's faster it seems than through the SF ICS. Good luck!
Old 06-13-20, 08:58 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
ordered some gloves from merlin three weeks ago (based in england, i believe). took about a week. relatively quick considering everything afoot in the world + the repercussions.
if you're in a rush, this is not the time to be banking on international, or domestic, shipping to be lightning fast. perhaps support your lbs for a few dollars more vs being miffy at current delivery speeds.
There is a big difference between public and private right now. I'm not advocating for one or the other, but it's the current reality. DHL will have your stuff to you in a few days (at least in most parts of the US and Europe), while anyone using public/government postal services on the front end will most certainly deal with delays.

Originally Posted by bluezurich
I have ordered a vintage road frame, some odds and ends...
What frame did you get? Just curious.
Old 06-13-20, 09:03 AM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
There is a big difference between public and private right now. I'm not advocating for one or the other, but it's the current reality. DHL will have your stuff to you in a few days (at least in most parts of the US and Europe), while anyone using public/government postal services on the front end will most certainly deal with delays.

What frame did you get? Just curious.
A Pinarello of unknown provenance. I've had a Treviso and Stelvio so I knew a bit about Pins...Decal set was not original, chrome and brake bridge didn't match other models, BB shell, serial number and cable routing could have it anywhere from 1992-1998. So many seasonal builders back then. I'm guessing it was an early go at Deda tubing for a Stelvio meant for import through GITA which is similar but not the exact frame and fork as an Asolo in 94-95. It's at the painters now and getting a new decal set without a name. Just a Pinarello!
Likes For bluezurich:
Old 06-13-20, 10:32 AM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
simple.
every single thing from foreign countries arrives late since the pandemic. i do things from Asia and EU often—i have another unhealthy hobby of golf clubs—gotta say it's at least twice longer than usual since March. they do move, just slow. no 'loss' in my experience by far.

many factors behind this phenomena:
1. more vigorous custom check on both export & import
2. less workers involved in the shipping front line, that include US' own side's import front line on all services: USPS, UPS & Fedex even DHL.
3. plus most of all "SIGNIFICANTLY LESS INT'L FLIGHTS VOLUME", that we usually neglect to calculate. the world of shipping is almost entirely depending on cargo flights only now, way less capability than the demands.

alas, we've gotta be just patient... painful. i know. just ordered a Super Record crankset from Zuiden Africa. why'd i do that? ...

Last edited by orangeology; 06-13-20 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For orangeology: